Thread: who inspires you to play?

Post Thanks / Like

Default who inspires you to play?

i'm sitting in our 'soon to be recording studio'... shiner picked up some cd's today of artists who spoke to him..

i'm in a bit of a guitar slump right now, need to change teachers. researching a replacement, to help me make my own music. going to do my recital and switch up.

right now, we're listening to jake shimabukuro.

o, heck. i work really hard at doing basic guitar 101, and this man makes a stringed instrument sound like angels.

i so want to do that. i really, really do. he makes my heart hurt, b/c the story he tells with his music i can hear.

who makes you feel that way?

k
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Knopfler

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most soulful tones I've heard that just sends me into another world when I hear him play is Warren Haynes, whether he's playing for the Allman Brothers or Gov't Mule. Songs like "Soulshine" and the slide solo on "Old Before My Time" have that ethereal feel that put me in a mood that is indescribable.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

This Gov't Mule song does it for me:

And even though the video is as corny as all outdoors, this tune does it too (except it also makes me want to sing along and I invariably blow a tonsil):

And yes it's cliche, but it's Randy doggone it. Best . . . solo . . . ever. (And Rudy Sarzo to boot, one of my bass favs back in the day)

Of all these tunes though, the last one is the only one I've been inspired to learn. Someday I will play the whole thing . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Often what gets me fired up to play is hearing a old tune done in a very new way. I'm just a sucker for great, interesting covers.

Heard this a few days ago on sat radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwZWSXR4ec

I've been working on a open D tuning version ever since.

If you listen, also think "Sweet Jane".
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Everyone.

I agree, most everyone.

Also, http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ht=inspiration
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson