Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
GFS trem block on a Fully strat

Thread: GFS trem block on a Fully strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default GFS trem block on a Fully strat

Just put the GFS trem block in my Fully strat.

First, the fit: it matches the trem hole in the bridge fine, so you don't need to buy the package with new bridge and saddles - just the trem arm.

Assembly- measure the spacing of your saddles before you remove them, or count turns of the screwdriver while removing so that you don't have to reintonate.

** CAREFUL! When mounting the bridge plate to the new block, be careful. The 3 screws from the Fully DO fit the holes on the block, even tho they look too big, BUT - they can be tight. One of them went right in with a little 3-in-one oil, but the next one was tight and unfortunately, I broke the head off while making the last turn of the screwdriver... (decided I could live with it rather than try to bore it out, since it seemed firmly attached with 2 screws). Having learned my lesson, I kept working the last screw (tightest of all) back and forwards (well oiled) as I put it in and slowly worked it home.

Back side trem cover: the GFS block is about half an inch longer (deeper) than the original, so the plastic cover sits right on the trem springs. I figured that this was sure to cause problems (buzzing, vibration) or to negatively affect the sound, so I left the cover off.

RESULTS:
    I have to admit, I was fully expecting not to be able to notice the difference when I plugged in, and at first, I was right - then I remembered that I had to put strings back on... (just joking, but you know me...). I just figured that it would be one of those 'fine tunings' that only an experienced player would notice, but figured that for $20. I'd give it a try.

I was really amazed by the results - it sounded as if I had put a new set of pickups in! (I had put GFS vintage alnicos in when I bought the guitar). I could actually even hear the difference unplugged, in the way the body resonated when strummed. The tone is much fuller (there had been a thin, slightly metallic tone before) and clearer across all of the strings - much more ba**sy and commanding. It's half again the guitar it was before - an amazing improvement for $20.!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

What's a fully strat? Opposite of empty strat?

Post Thanks / Like

It's the famous (around here anyway) Fullerton, a $35 Music123/MF sell-out wonder guitar of a year or so ago. Robert has clips on Dolphin Street and there are a number of posts about them here on the Fret.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rocket: here you go:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957

EDIT: TJ, that is great news that it works. I may do the same to mine. I kinda like the idea of leaving the back cover off on that guitar.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Glad you like the improvement. Hard to beat $20 for a big improvement.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

tjcurtin1 that sounds great! Good to keep moving that screw back and forth with lots of oil. I love the difference a steel block makes. Much more solid and better definition and at 20 dollas you can't beat it

M29

Post Thanks / Like

If it ain't steel, it ain't real...

A must have for any Strat type guitar, IMHO. There is most definitely a difference between the cast block and a steel one. A guitar would have to be resonantly dead for a steel block not to have a positive impact on the tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, thanks a LOT, Ted! Now here's another worthwhile mod I have to do!! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!