Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Tropical Storm Fay
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tropical Storm Fay

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tropical Storm Fay

Just curious, any of our Florida fretters concerned about Tropical Storm Fay? I'm not familiar enough with Florida and all of your locations, but as I was reading the news reports on the web I started to wonder about you folks.

If your guitars, I mean if you and your family need a place to stay, PM me for my address.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like just a rainmaker for us... if anything more, we (and our trailer full of guitars & amps,) will be headed for friends in GA.

Post Thanks / Like

If it comes to Tampa it'll create lots of flooding issues and probably knock out the power for awhile. I doubt it will do much physical damage as the winds prob won't get that bad but even a heavy rain storm creates flooding issues when you live at sea level.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Looks like just a rainmaker for us... if anything more, we (and our trailer full of guitars & amps,) will be headed for friends in GA.
    Welcome to Georgia, Rocket! I'm sure ya'll will be OK here. We could use the rain.

BTW, if you need somewhere to store your guitars, just give me a buzz. I'm only 100 miles west of I-75!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    If it comes to Tampa it'll create lots of flooding issues and probably knock out the power for awhile. I doubt it will do much physical damage as the winds prob won't get that bad but even a heavy rain storm creates flooding issues when you live at sea level.
    same here...expecting lots of rain and some wind...but my major concern is losing power (which will probably happen)...looks like our schools will probably be closed on tuesday....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Welcome to Georgia, Rocket! I'm sure ya'll will be OK here. We could use the rain.

BTW, if you need somewhere to store your guitars, just give me a buzz. I'm only 100 miles west of I-75!
    Thanks Ron... but looks like you're gonna get it after it's done with us. We've got friends up in Woodbine (King's Bay). We've got it worked out that if we need to bail, we go to them and vice-versa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    same here...expecting lots of rain and some wind...but my major concern is losing power (which will probably happen)...looks like our schools will probably be closed on tuesday....

ww
    I can't imagine that the power won't go out at some point. If it rains for a few hours here the power goes out. In 2004 (the year of the four hurricanes in one month) we lost our power when Frances came through and that was the weakest of the four. It was just a lot of rain and almost no wind but we lost our power for four days. If we lived in a house I would purchase a generator, but living in an apartment pretty much takes that out of play as there is no place I can really run it, nor do I have the authority to go messing with the wiring and stuff here. I just hope TECO (our power company) has their act together this year and can fix the outages a little more rapidly. We shall see sometime in the next 2.5 days I suppose.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Well, IF the current track holds, the storm will make landfall at Ft. Myers as a minimal hurricane and my area will be on the edge of the 39 mph wind field. A slight shift to the east, and we're still in the 39 mph wind field. A slight shift to the west and we drop into the 23 mph wind field. So, no matter what, we're looking at some stiff winds and a bunch of rain.

Now, watching the local media and even the Weather Channel, you'd think this was the second coming of Hurricane Andrew. I believe in being prepared; I have to be at work and I am certainly at home. But, over-hyping the event only causes people who are on edge already, to go into a panic.

The best scenario would be for this storm to lose some of it's wind speed, and then drift up over Alabama and Georgia right on into Tennessee where they need rain so desperately. But, I don't think that's likely to happen the way things are looking.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah...the news loves this kind of stuff....looks like we will get lots of wind and rain...but the main concern will be the tornado's that are spawned by the storm...i'm sure we will lose power....i'm in a condo and my neighbor a couple of doors down has a generator...and i have my camping equipment (propane cook stove and such) so i'm set....lots of batteries and a cool device that uses aa batteries to charge my cell phone and ipod!

got some good single malt scotch too...so i'm prepared!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing more than a Florida snow day.
    Probably get the day off from work, string up the acoustic with new strings, drink some beer and wait for the power to go out.

I can't imagine that the power won't go out at some point. If it rains for a few hours here the power goes out. In 2004 (the year of the four hurricanes in one month) we lost our power when Frances came through and that was the weakest of the four. It was just a lot of rain and almost no wind but we lost our power for four days. If we lived in a house I would purchase a generator, but living in an apartment pretty much takes that out of play as there is no place I can really run it, nor do I have the authority to go messing with the wiring and stuff here. I just hope TECO (our power company) has their act together this year and can fix the outages a little more rapidly. We shall see sometime in the next 2.5 days I suppose.
    Up until that point I dont recall ever losing power during ANY hurricane season since the 70s(hurricane David?) for any length of time for more than 30 minutes....every now and again the cable would go out for short periods of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Nothing more than a Florida snow day.
    Probably get the day off from work, string up the acoustic with new strings, drink some beer and wait for the power to go out.

Up until that point I dont recall ever losing power during ANY hurricane season since the 70s(hurricane David?) for any length of time for more than 30 minutes....every now and again the cable would go out for short periods of time.
    We had three direct hits - as in the eye overhead - for Francis, Jean, and Wilma...all within a 13 month period. Of those, Wilma was the least destructive, and only because it came through fast and did not linger like the other two did.

We're in one of those fortunate spots when it comes to the power. We're on the same feeder as the water treatment plant less than a mile away as the crow flies. And since our neighborhood has all underground utilities, when that feeder is energized for the water treatment plant (which is a priority), our power comes back on as well. I don't think we went longer than 48 hours without power after any of the three hurricanes. Of course, I only got to enjoy it for about 6-7 hours a day (mostly when I was sleeping) as I was busy 16 hours a day with the recovery effort for the utility at which I work.

I'll be happy just to wave bye-bye to Fay as she hopefully slips by with minimal damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    We had three direct hits - as in the eye overhead - for Francis, Jean, and Wilma...all within a 13 month period. Of those, Wilma was the least destructive, and only because it came through fast and did not linger like the other two did.

We're in one of those fortunate spots when it comes to the power. We're on the same feeder as the water treatment plant less than a mile away as the crow flies. And since our neighborhood has all underground utilities, when that feeder is energized for the water treatment plant (which is a priority), our power comes back on as well. I don't think we went longer than 48 hours without power after any of the three hurricanes. Of course, I only got to enjoy it for about 6-7 hours a day (mostly when I was sleeping) as I was busy 16 hours a day with the recovery effort for the utility at which I work.

I'll be happy just to wave bye-bye to Fay as she hopefully slips by with minimal damage.
    We lost power for bout 3 weeks in total during that season...it was like camping without all the comforts of home AT HOME. I remember the daily hunt for ICE and whatever restaurant was open serving fresh hot food. It was a lil tough, but I was able to appreciate how it brought everybody together. And for atleast a month after the storms were still the hot topic, not unlike the day after the super bowl.

For some strange reason, maybe its the beginning of the school year, but I have fond memories of Hurricane days, weather I was a child or as an adult.

Aint nothin like hunkerin down with your closest friends and family, with a butt-load of beer, stayin up late/early and watching the storm coverage.
    (speaking of which reminds me of watching "the pier" at Daytona beach erode away with the tide on live TV, fascinating!)

And my absolute favorite thing about "hurricane days" and all...its the stupid, idiot news guy, standing in the rain, on a beach wearing a flipping poncho reporting LIVE! I love those idiots!!!!

Dont get me wrong yall..."be safe"...but have fun too!
    BTW I just stocked up with new acoustic strings...beer and smokes later.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

We should be fine in Gainesville, just a few rainy days unless it turns significantly westerly. My bro-in-law in Jacksonville is in center of the projected path, but by the time it gets up there it should be pretty mild unless she makes open water and picks up steam before turning back for a third landfall.

Current projection, with Gainesville and Jax drawn in:

So far, schools are staying open here. The county just south of us cancelled for today though, at least as of last night. Pretty crazy back-to-school week.

Post Thanks / Like

The latest forecast track has the storm crossing the state and exiting just south of Daytona. The closest it will come to us now, is when it passes over Lake Okeechobee. With the slow weakening of the storm as it moves northeastward, it should mean that we'll experience about the same wind strength and just more rain.

The weather map here is littered with boxes and triangles indicating tornadoes or potential tornadoes. I drove right through two of these "potential tornado" areas on my way to work this morning. Nothing but wind and rain, and not quite enough wind to push my vehicle around on the highway. It's enough wind to blow the rain sideways, and it's not the kind of weather you'd want to be outside in, but it's not really all that bad. Tornadoes here aren't like the ones that form in the plains. Here, they form quickly without much visible sign, and just touch down briefly in an area and then they're gone. So, instead of seeing a path of destruction, you typically see isolated spots.

BTW: I work for a utility (electric, gas, water, sewer), and so far, we've only had a couple of isolated outages with our electric service, and they were corrected quickly. We get far more outages when the late afternoon thunderstorms move in on a normal day. Let's hope that our luck holds...I don't really want to spend any 16 hour days here...

Post Thanks / Like

I think most of us are in that "Early Wed AM" area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    got some good single malt scotch too...so i'm prepared!

ww
    Sounds like you are well prepared! :
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that my area (Tampa) will be getting through this with nothing more than some periodically heavy rain from feeder bands and the occasional squall. I hope the rest of my fellow Floridian fretters don't experience any hardships from the storm.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that my area (Tampa) will be getting through this with nothing more than some periodically heavy rain from feeder bands and the occasional squall. I hope the rest of my fellow Floridian fretters don't experience any hardships from the storm.
    They keep saying Daytona shouldnt be affected much either...but this is the part I have a problem with, the information is so scattered and unorganized, some of the media is seriously downplaying this(even moreso that I did previously)...but if you live in Florida, I do care where youre at, youve GOTTA expect tornados!
    And my biggest fear is thatll crossover the state(its projected path is just over me) but then stall off the coast building up definition and strength before it actually moves northward.
    Dont get me wrong, Im not scared, storms like this get me anxious and a lil excitable...Im just pissed Ive got to work today!:
    Seems like everyone else is off...space center has shut down, schools are all closed, most business are closing around noon.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like our FL Fretters have pretty much dodged the bullet, other than getting rather soggy. Glad to hear Fay didn't turn into the troublemaker she could have been! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast