Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite Stereo Speakers

Thread: Favorite Stereo Speakers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Favorite Stereo Speakers

What are yours?

1. First, old school if you have an old school choice, (Dahlquist, Infinity, Klipsch, Speakerlab, etc.)

2. Then new school.

I am looking to get sounds that I loved from premium speakers of the 70's and 80's and I am hoping some may have found sounds in new style speaker systems that give the same qualities of old school speakers/monitors. I do not have a decent stereo shop nearby so I cannot go listen in a speaker room to find out for myself.

My choices:

1. Old School - Dahlquist series. I love their bass response, and good highs. I could only afford the two way stereo monitors, the DQM-V, but I loved them. The ports out the rear of the cabinet would give you that great, tight bass response you could literally feel. I still have the speakers and may re-cone them.

2. New school - I don't have any or know much. Polk audio looks pretty good on paper. Enlighten me please!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

2) I am a huge fan of BOSE.. excellent speakers!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

klipsch both ways

Post Thanks / Like

I have always like klipsch.
    I had a pair of DCM Time Windows they were nice, with a open spacious sound. I like a sub woofer with most anything.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know too much about the newer stuff SVL, but when it comes to old school I'm a big fan of Bose and JBL. I've got a set of Bose 901 series II and a set of series IV. I actually prefer the series II. I also have a set of JBL L100 Century speakers circa 1970 that in my opinion are still the best sounding speakers I've ever owned.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sunvalley , I share your interest in those high
    end audio tones of yesteryear .. love Klipsch , a set of Lascallas with sufficient power is a beautiful experience , Pioneer speakers from the late 70's are very cool sounding . and JBL'S are awesome as well , lots to choose from, the market for vintage audio is realy heating up , check out ebay under vintage electronics , old Marantz's bring real big dollars these days and good quality reel to reels and high end turntables are getting expensive . Even vynil has made a resurgence , how cool is that. good luck with the hunt ....6S9L
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check some out. I love my old school speakers, and if it were me, I would just have them re-built. But my wife would prefer not to have the whole decor of our great room arranged around the placement of my large box Dahlquists for best imaging purposes. Thus, I need to find the newer, smaller alternatives that give similar sound. It sounds like a subwoofer is required for sure.

I anticipate in the next few years, combining my stereo sound output with my computer for movies and music, and an HD screen of some type. Seems as though newer speaker set ups (5.1, etc.) are required for most video anyway. I just want them to have excellent music audio quality and response as well.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

early Advent. I still have the cabinets (look like new), but the speakers were shot so I trashed them. Thought about using them as cabs to hook up to the amps.

No modern selection - stereo equipment became too expensive to keep up with.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's old or new school or whatever, but before my wife and I got married her grandparents gave all the grandkids some money which we decided to spend on a stereo since neither of us had one. We got a couple of Mirage towers which we like quite a bit. Thankfully, the kids only pulled them down once or twice A few years back we picked up an Athena subwoofer, which I seem to remember is made by the same company that makes the Mirage stuff.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    early Advent. I still have the cabinets (look like new), but the speakers were shot so I trashed them. Thought about using them as cabs to hook up to the amps.

No modern selection - stereo equipment became too expensive to keep up with.
    That is the situation with my Dalhquists. The cabs are in great condition, and were one of the main features of the speakers. The woofers rotted over time, and I bet the tweeters could be re-done too. I am not going to get rid of them and will likely get them re-done by an outfit that does that. But they still won't do the 5.1 thing, and will have to be a rec room, guitar and noise room speaker set. Or maybe my office!!!!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, check out http://www.simplyspeakers.com/

I refoamed the Series IV 901's with parts from them, and I mailed off the woofers on my son's Marantz speakers to be refoamed (they were originally mine purchased in 1980). They're good folks, do a great job, a little pricey on postage and handling, but they're offering a high quality service that I haven't seen matched anywhere else.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a shot of the series II 901's in the "soon to be finished" (so I've been saying for two years) music room. I have them hooked up old school to a Marantz MA600 amplifier, Sony turntable, and a single disc CD player . The Tascam I got for my birthday is also hooked up, and will hopefully be placed in use shortly.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Steve, check out http://www.simplyspeakers.com/

I refoamed the Series IV 901's with parts from them, and I mailed off the woofers on my son's Marantz speakers to be refoamed (they were originally mine purchased in 1980). They're good folks, do a great job, a little pricey on postage and handling, but they're offering a high quality service that I haven't seen matched anywhere else.
    That was the place I was going to send mine, but I finally got tired of having them sit around so I threw them away.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Paradigm Titans are a great budget speaker...
    http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...9_1594crx.aspx

Don't let the word 'budget' fool you though... these are a great little speaker.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. That is a cool looking room Shiner! Does that Marantz have the blue lighted FM markings and the horizontal dial?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. The tuner is a separate unit from the amplifier, something that was considered "high end" back in the day. If I'm remembering the dial you're talking about, it doesn't have that. But it does have the lit FM stations listed horizontally.

Funny thing is, I bought the amp and tuner my sophomore year in college, back in '80, and it still works great. I have to clean the pots every three or four years, but that's the extent of the maintenance. Every amplifier I've purchased in the last fifteen years has only lasted 4-5 years before it crapped out on me. They just don't make them like the used to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My '85 Denon, while not nearly as cool and retro as your set up (I remember when having separate tuner and amph sections was considered high end), has lasted since then as well. Still works great. It was moderate end (is there a moderate end?) back in the day, and supposedly stored power in a nice clean way, rather than pulling from the wall as much or something like that. I still like it. My first CD player from the day, and my Nakamichi tape deck, have since croaked. But that tape deck gave me years of great service. The Yamaha CD player was just ok.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, heh, you'll like this Steve. About a month ago when I was cleaning everything up and putting it all together, I started looking for just a simple, old, one disc CD player. CB had one but unfortunately it crapped out. The bottom line, I couldn't find one. Nobody makes them anymore. Then I remembered that I had an old DVD player that also played CD's. So I "repurposed" it as they say on all those home improvement shows.