Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The world of solid body double cuts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The world of solid body double cuts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The world of solid body double cuts

While I'll always love the Les Paul and the many similar shaped copies, there's something kinda cool about double cut solid bodied electrics. I'm not talking about Strat's and super strat's in this case, but more the carved, symmetric shapes.

Show some of your favorites.

Here's the one that got me thinking about this style...
    The Agile AD-3000M in blue. Wow, such a beauty, and for very low bones. I could see one in my stable!

That brings me to the other end of the cost spectrum, PRS. The Santana model looks like art.

The new Carvin Double Cut California Carver Tops don't grab me like the others, however. Maybe it's because they took too much wood away at the horns.
    EDIT: Carvin is blocking image hosting, so you'll have to go to their website to see this model:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog....php?model=dc6

I gotta bring up the SG. A timeless classic in it's many forms.

I'll add the beautiful Ibanez AR Series. Mmmmm, good stuff!

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on the general love of the double cut, tig. Before I started playing electric, the PRS Santana was the standard of what I wanted.

Throwing another oldie but goodie out there....
    show some love for the Washburn Wing Series....made by Matsumoku. Beauties, five piece neck throughs with 'buckers
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

How about these

My babies.

Maton MS2000 DLX with Seymour Duncans and BB1200 with Brierely B90's

I went shopping for a LP Custom and ended up having the Black MS2000DLX made for me.
    Then I went looking for hollow body Gibson or Gretch and found the BB1200 already loaded with hand made bucker sized P90's

I don't think Maton are well known outside Oz (unless you're Josh Homme) but they have been making guitars in Australia, some models even using Australian tone woods, since 1946 and are still 100% Australian owned.

(the Vase 4x12 behind them was also made in Oz sometime in the '60's)

Post Thanks / Like

Even tho Frank plays one...I have never considered an SG purchase....until now. Man that blue flamed top has me GASSING. I have tried a few SGs at GC and love the necks on them as they are huge like a baseball bat :-) The only thing that stops me is that my dream guitar since 2005 when this journey started up again is that Les Paul Mahogany.....yep...I dream about $800 guitars....not the $2 and $3000 guitars that most of the folks GAS over.

But this one is smoking hot.

Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    Man that blue flamed top has me GASSING. ...yep...I dream about $800 guitars....not the $2 and $3000 guitars that most of the folks GAS over.
    Well, maybe when you find out this one goes for $2400 , you can relax and go back to the afordable guitars. Still, that blue is like a magnet!

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargall...tom/s019790358

=========================================

I ran into another nice looking guitar. A Hamer custom at Will Cutt Guitars.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

My Agile 3000M Prestige with a 3/4" maple cap. Sweet guitar, got it on "special" for $399.00 with a HS case. They're back in stock again at Rondo for $449.99 w/ HS case.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

where was that Agile built, Bloozcat? She looks beautiful.

What are the p'ups?

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I keep buying new electrics, but I always go back to my Modulus. It has a graphite reinforced neck and Dimarzio Virtual P-90s. Yes, it only has three strings in this picture. (Don't ask).

And check out that neck heel (or lack thereof).

Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Both my Michael Kellys

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah she may be 2400....but bloozcat just took care of that SG GAS....man that Agile is way cool and for less than $500 with hardshell case.....stellar.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, Hub... I've gotta ask. Why does that beautiful Modulus only have 3 strings?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Hubberjub...that's sweet.

you may have covered this ground before....but what's the story on that guitar? Modulus only advertises basses. How rare is this? Where did you get your hands on this? Where do those DiMarzios fall in the p'up spectrum...you call 'em P90's, but they have double poles? What's the body? Balance issues? Why does the neck look hybrid? Care to send it to me for a 6 month "sabbatical" of sorts. I PROMISE I'll be good to her. 3 strings is fine for me. I'll take care of the other 3...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    where was that Agile built, Bloozcat? She looks beautiful.

What are the p'ups?
    It's made in Korea, Tio. The pickups are Korean Alnico V's that sound very good. They've upgraded the electronics and switches as well.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never played a double cut better than my Yamaha SG1500. I bought it new in 1976 and is still my favorite guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy my Ibanez AR 300 with the Super 58 pick-ups warm tone, really cool..

I m thinkin about selling it to raise money for a futur Gibson Lespaul project though..

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo

Hubberjub...that's sweet.

you may have covered this ground before....but what's the story on that guitar? Modulus only advertises basses. How rare is this? Where did you get your hands on this? Where do those DiMarzios fall in the p'up spectrum...you call 'em P90's, but they have double poles? What's the body? Balance issues? Why does the neck look hybrid? Care to send it to me for a 6 month "sabbatical" of sorts. I PROMISE I'll be good to her. 3 strings is fine for me. I'll take care of the other 3...

Modulus only makes basses now so they're pretty rare. I bought this on Ebay about three years ago. The Dimarzios are humbuckers that have been designed to sound like P-90s. To me, they sound more like humbuckers with a little more snarl. The body is mahogany. The neck is built around a carbon fiber frame. There is a thin black layer visible on the sides under the fretboard and also on the back of the headstock (that's the second picture). Because the carbon fiber supports the string tension, they can use woods that wouldn't typically be able to deal with the pressure. The neck on this guitar is made from a variety of cedar. It's a really resonant guitar.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Looks Like Tig struck gold asking if any of us had a thing for double cuts

There are some really nice looking guitars here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Okay, Hub... I've gotta ask. Why does that beautiful Modulus only have 3 strings?
    Well, I broke a string while in the middle of a solo and decided to get a little crazy. I started ripping the rest of the strings off the guitar for the remainder of the solo and just grabbed my other guitar in between songs. That was the last gig I played six string on and I haven't had the chance to restring it yet. That's the problem with owning too many guitars, it's way easier to just grab another instead of changing strings immediately.
    Patrick

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    How about these

I don't think Maton are well known outside Oz (unless you're Josh Homme) but they have been making guitars in Australia, some models even using Australian tone woods, since 1946 and are still 100% Australian owned.
    We have a shop just down the road from me that carries Maton and I am very impressed with them. I tried to work a deal on a trade and cash, but couldn't come to an agreement.

I found the guitars had great feel and ease of play that rivaled the Strat.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast