Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

I scored one of these today...I know nothing bout it yet.
    I tried to use it, I got lucky for a minute, but I need to consult the instruction book before its useful.

Anybody else using one of these?
    Any tips, tricks or advice?
    For a newbie or advanced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have one and do use it. I have tended to input songs I want to play with via the audio in and my iPod, then you can tap tempo the song to make the song play slower while you learn. I have also played chord progressions in using my left foot that I tap with to keep the tempo. I am not great at it, but you can get a loop in and jam with your self pretty easily. I went to a one night seminar at a store where folks demonstrated capturing sounds in time, one over another, to build rhythms, percussion, etc. and then play over the top. I have not been able to do that yet. Search for K.T. Tunstall on youtube and you will see some cool things that can be done. I bet you can search for some lessons too. Then it is just a matter of figuring out the inputs and controls. Your manual will help with that. Good score! It is a great tool that I don't utilize enough.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    but I need to consult the instruction book before its useful.

just sayin'

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is one with good ideas, but a different pedal.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728

just sayin'
    Come on now...youre hardly a man if you dont just pull it(whatever it is) right out of the box and start twistin knobs, takin it apart, or just puttin it through the works. Instructions are a last ditch effort...if I dont run into obsticles, the instructions never existed.

But this needs instructions:
    And Ive consulted them already, several times, but Im gettin the hang of it...but Im only scratching the surface, but I am playing songs like Born Under A Bad Sign and Im Tore Down, and Im actually able to make the leads sound decent...but I really got this to work on my timing, a metronome wasnt really workin for me and the blues shuffle.
    I need to load up some songs or backing tracks...need to find a cable to do so, but I think I got one round here somewhere.

Ive read the manual a couple of times but cant figure out how to shut this thing off...do I gotta unplug it out of my chain everytime???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, you gotta unplug it from the chain, or if running it on AC power only, (advisable, it eats batteries), unplug the power cord.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Here is one with good ideas, but a different pedal.
    Thanks for the ideas...my buddy gave me a Dean Markly pup for my accoustic, so that gives me another option...and I kinda like the idea of banging out a beat on the top of the accoustic.

Ive seen a local guy who does a one man show on one of these and an accoustic...Ive seen him play the Beatles "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" all the way to "Carry That Weight" on this thing...I had to have one, its only just now that Im able to justify the expense(to mahself).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heck, I have seen guys earn way more than they paid for the same pedal doing bar/coffee shop gigs around town doing one man shows like that. I could not do that yet, but who knows? A way to support GAS maybe?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Cool that you got one of the RC20s. I really like mine and it is a great tool to get timing issues straightened out. It also is a great tool for creativity. Sometimes you just never know what is going to come out but it is usually fun and in time.

You mentioned "instructions". What is that? Is that like directions when you're driving? I can't do that. It just isn't manly. So what if I get lost a lot. It's fun.

I keep mine on an outlet strip and just use the switch on the strip to turn it and my other pedals on and off.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    You mentioned "instructions". What is that? Is that like directions when you're driving? I can't do that. It just isn't manly. So what if I get lost a lot. It's fun.
    Thank you...although IM still consulting them:

I keep mine on an outlet strip and just use the switch on the strip to turn it and my other pedals on and off.
    Yeah, Ive got my pedal chain and amp on a power strip, and Ive been in the habit of unplugging it after each use(after a topic round here from last year instilled some paranoia about how effective surge protectors are)...I just thought there was some other way of turning it off...the 'distructions' caution bout how to turn it off properlly, yet it doesnt really actually turn off unless you unplug it....lame!

Anyways, I stayed up til bout 3:30 am last night playing with this...Im stoked! Im all bout anything thatll keep me playing for that long...to the point were I have no idea how late or what time it is...PRICELESS!!!:

I was looking around last night too, and Im a lil disappointed I couldnt find a community or forum on the 'inter-webs' for the Loopstation or for others like it. I just figured there had to be a place where people shared ideas, offered help, or inspiriation. I found the Boss forum....uber lame, "Im gonna buy this pedal" topics abound...no help.

Do either of yall use the optional footswitches?
    I tried my Vox channel switching pedal and it seemed like it was/would work...but then one of the preset loops jumped out of nowhere at me(Im over this happening, BTW) and I had to shut it all down before I woke my roommate:

Seriously, could yall share some discoveries with me?
    What kinda songs are yall playing on this...I could also use some ideas.

Anyway of tamming that tempo???? Still seems a lil fast...a knob would have been handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Looper's Delight.

Post Thanks / Like

I found that site earlier but didnt have a chance to fully explore it, and my first impression was it was more techno and hip-hop styles...but from your link I found this whole page of links and articles...so thanks for the link!:

When I get a chance I plan on recording some of those "play along" CD songs that Ive never really used, I think thatll help me get the ball rollin on this thing and give me a good idea about using longer loops vs shorter...Im kinda anxious to see if this "reverse" button will let me rewind a lil with a longer loop so I dont have to start all over if I choke or wanna learn a specific riff a lil better.

Post Thanks / Like

I just loaded a few "play along" tracks and saved them into the presets...but now that Ive done this(and now that Im bout to sell my Vox AD30) will this pedal have any ill effects on my tube amp??? Suddenly Im kinda worried.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Not apples and apples, but I have the Digitech Jamman and it has ill effects with my AD30VT (guitar>RP350>Jamman>AD30VT), but has no ill effect on my Valve Jr.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

The only 'ill effect' I can think of is if you try playing recorded tracks back through a distorted amp. That's going to sound like doo doo. The best way is to find a clean setting on the Vox and use a distortion pedal for the guitar and let the recorded track play into a nice clean amph.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Not apples and apples, but I have the Digitech Jamman and it has ill effects with my AD30VT (guitar>RP350>Jamman>AD30VT), but has no ill effect on my Valve Jr.
    I used it this morning on my Vox and she worked fine, but then again Im not running it through an RP either...but my Deville seems to be doing fine with the "play along" CDs in the background.

But Im kinda amazed at the similarities of the two loopers...I almost wonder how well this would work with the Boss?

Does anybody have this one?

Post Thanks / Like

That's going to sound like doo doo.
    You guitarists and your technical terms!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I've been curious about these things for a while and I have a few basic questions. The first one is: where in the chain does it go: is it guitar->loop station->amp? If it is, I guess that answers my next question: Can I have it record a clean guitar sound playing a chord progression, and then play a distorted sound over it? I take it if the chain is as I described above that would not be possible. Conversely, is there a way to do what I'm hoping to do? Will I need an amp with an effects loop to be able to do that?

I've seen both RC20s and RC2s come up in my local Craigslist every once in a while. Next time I'll pay more attention.

Post Thanks / Like

You can put it anywhere in the chain you like...although in the effects loop would be a great idea if youve got one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast