Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New Squire Cherry sunburst standard: date of mfg?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Squire Cherry sunburst standard: date of mfg?

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Squire Cherry sunburst standard: date of mfg?

While in Harrisburg, fifty miles, plus minus, from here, I decided to visit the GC nearby to Mike's Music. I was looking to pickup a beater Squire P bass. The Memorial Day sale is going on and I spotted a P bass for 139 but the finish was not that great and it looked cheaply constructed but was a decent four string without a lot of bottom end, nothing special.

Meanwhile, this Squire Cherry burst strat standard kept calling me from the wall. Marked down to 169. I played it and toyed with the bass. The Cherry burst with rosewood board kept calling to me and finally I secummed to its allure and let it pick me out. I played it again and for the extra thirty bucks bought it. The sales man kept saying I should get the bass but experience has taught me that when a guitar picks you, it generally tends to be the better choice than you picking the guitar.

So now I own this beautiful, beautiful cherry sunburst Squire standard strat. I am interested to know when it was made. The serial number is CY0804946.

I'm sure this makes sense to someone. Any help in deciphering this is greatly appreciated. I could not find the exact model on the Squire page.

This Squire standard is different from my Squire Deluxe with the SD designed pups. This one has staggered pole pieces and is really, really nice looking. Haven't seen a guitar like this before: cherry sunburst with the dark part being cherry instead of black and the center being goldenish cherry tint transparent. You can see the grain and I'm not sure what kind of wood it is. It is not tight grained but rather broad grained. Spud said they are usually alder when they are transparent and agathis when they are painted. It is, nonetheless, beautiful to say the least. Rosewood board which suits me fine because I like to oil my fretboards. The neck is soft satin and great.

It sounds great, but not like my hot rodded affinity or my Squire Deluxe with the SD designed pups. This is probably more of a vintage tone but I love it. Sounds great straight into my Delta Blues with some reverb and some drive as well as thru my multi pedal into my Blackheart little giant head into my epi twelve inch speaker cab (a very, very nice tonal combination). Currently using three watts out of the Blackheart. Awesome head.

So, this Cherry burst Squire Standard is a really nice guitar for a plain Squire standard strat - no vintage vibe, modified, deluxe, or other embellishments. Equally as beautiful in its own traditional look. It does have satin finished bridge saddles of the solid block type instead of the bent metal ones.

Maybe it's just having a beautiful new guitar that is influencing my opinion, but I think this is a special guitar that could be enjoyed by many. I'm used to vintage and antique sunburst and this is a really neat variation that I haven't seen, coupled with a great sound.

And again, I am becoming increasingly convinced that, just like getting a puppy, you should shop around and eventually the puppy will pick you out, just like this guitar picked me out. Of course I played it and evaluated it.

But I don't know how much good the evaluation part did because the HRDx I wanted to play it thru was broken and he hooked me up to some Jxx Marshall combo that sounded an awful like my Blackheart thru my epi twelve inch cab. You know what I mean: string dynamics, tone, harmonics, string response, chord definition, and overall awesomeness? How could a guitar not sound good thru that amp. Not an MG series item at all. Anyway, the similarity to the Blackheart/Epi stack was enough parallelism for me to supposedly judge the quality of the sound and I like it. It fulfilled my expectations and more, no buzz, etc.

169 for a decent brand new Squire strat standard? Is this hard to believe? Of course it was the GC Memorial Day sale, but still. It is really hard to believe that you can get a great guitar for that price. GC me does not carry the Squire Deluxe strats. May be that way everywhere. No Crate V series in sight either.

So hopefully this helps and hopefully someone can help me decipher my date of manufacture on my new Cherry burst Squire Standard.

Thanks in advance,

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Geetar purchase Duffy.

It appears to be a 2008 crafted in Taiwan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#Chinese_Squiers
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 2006 one of these - when it was called the Standard Strat - Cherryburst Special Edition. (see my profile photos)

CY0804946

CY = China
    08 = 2008
    04 = April
    946 = the rest of the serial

I really like mine - well made, the frets were perfect, the only changes I've made were - new strings, tighten one saddle screw, put on Dunlop Strap locks and tune it

Have fun with your new guitar - they are really nice.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool

Good to know.

I thought it was a nice item. Had great vibes and looked good. Very attractive and sounded good and felt good.

Unbelievable for the price. Played it a lot last night.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Duffster. Sounds like a sweet guitar. : How do I arrive at that conclusion? Well I have 2 of them. but mine are both Chinese made. One is from 04 and the other is tucked away in it's case so I'm not sure of the year.

They are lovely to look at for sure. And although my necks feel different from each other thay are both great with that sweet satin finish. One neck is fatter than the other and they both play nicely.

From what I've seen of the newer versions like yours they are a little lighter in color but maybe this isn't so with your. We'll, ahem, need to see some photos to tell for sure. So the obligitory THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS is now in effect.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Photos, Duff, or you're just makin' it all up! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Spud, that is beauti

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm gonna take some pics

Played this guitar a lot and it sounds great.

It's not light colored. Very, very deep beautiful red around the outside, fading into a red stained center part, never natural wood finish in the middle. Never seen anything like it. Very dark and rich looking. Plays great and looks like a guitar worth a lot more than the 165 I paid, new.

Want to take several pictures. Next two days off and not too much planned.

Duffy

Anybody else really like theirs? And do yours have staggered pole pieces like mine and a mint pickguard?
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mystery to me

Duhvoodooman,

Why would you think I would make this up? This is a mystery to me. I don't make up nonsense, especially when it comes to serious material like this.

I plan on taking some pictures maybe in the next two days because I have them off.

I haven't taken any pictures of any of my newer guitars. Have you seen my pictures of my older guitars like my Hwy ones and '66 Epi SG copy in cherry finish, or my ESP LTD H102fm with SD hot rodded pups? I think I even posted a picture of my Epi LP birdseye maple deep wine finish that I put SD hot rodded pups in.

I have a few notable new guitars to take pictures of like my new Epi LP plus top with solid amber, not burst, finish that I put nickel platted SD pups in: a '59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge; also got an awesome Schecter C1 semi hollow body with the same SD nickel plated pups put in that has the piezo electric pups in the bridge saddles and is stereo.

Got a nice Squire Deluxe white pearl too, and a 130 dollar used Squire trans satin crimson strat with no pickguard and two nice sounding duncan designed humbuckers; not to mention my free Squire affinity black strat that I hot rodded with a black pearl pickguard and spring plate and SD hot rail in the neck, 'lil '59 in the middle, and a JB jr. in the bridge. This black twentieth aniv. affinity is awesome both in looks and tone and feels great too. It has one of the most beautiful flammed maple necks I've ever seen and a rosewood board.

Also got a beautiful sounding and looking five string Schecter stiletto elite neck thru body bass that doesn't make a bad sound. Got a Fender Rumble one hundred with it on sale at the GC fourth of July sale at ridiculous prices all new.

Got the Cherry burst Squire strat new couple days ago at GC during the Labor day sale. That Cherry Burst is so nice I can't put it down. Maybe I'm succumbing to the gassification or something but I'm dying to play my black affinity because I haven't played it in a few weeks due to the guy I got the pups from not cashing my check and I don't like to play things I don't own, so Friday I went down and paid him cash. So now I can really get into that awesome hot rodded affinity, once I get over this Cherry burst with the lime green pickguard.

Anyway, just to be honest, I'm not making it up that I have these guitars and I will try to expeditiously get some pictures posted because they are very nice looking items.

Been playing mainly thru my Blackheart three and five watt head into my Epi twelve inch speaker cab, or thru my new Peavey Delta Blues: both are great set ups and would do justice to any guitar.

Duffy
    Now playing: Squire "Black Pearl" and "Cherry Burst".

Pictures ARE forthcoming.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    Duhvoodooman,

Why would you think I would make this up? This is a mystery to me. I don't make up nonsense, especially when it comes to serious material like this.

I plan on taking some pictures maybe in the next two days because I have them off.

Its a joke..a ploy...were all junkies for GAS inspiring pics or ideas for mods...the more pics the better...quicker...less posting, more pics, go now!:

Post Thanks / Like

Where's dem pictures Duff?:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures

Tomorrow. Pictures tomorrow.

You guys are craving for those pictures.

I want to take some nice ones off my deck or in my back yard. They will make the guitars look even more desirable.

I will be honored to post the pics as soon as I can and I will get to it without undue delay. Plus I'll take some pictures of some of my less awesome but still awesome guitars, like my ESP LTD EC-50 that gets little acclaim but is an awesome stock guitar that costs about 199 and has that LP style and humbucker tone.

There's a lot of inexpensive but really impressive guitars out there right now for those who don't mind owning something that doesn't cost nearly as much as a top of the line guitar. I thought my EC 50 sounded better thru the same amp as the EC 400. Might be my less sophisticated ear, but it sounded better to me for the type thing I do.

Pictures are being planned.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Photos, Duff, or you're just makin' it all up! :

Duff you must of missed the Emoticons(poke, wink, smile)

Lay off the coffee brother

Where are them pics anyways

Have you seen the sierra sunburst fender color ,I love that take on cherry sunburst.You do have alot of variances on the ones i've drooled over (american strat ash body):
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Did he say that we are finally going to see some pictures? :

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet Duffs looks a lot like this.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...CherryMint.jpg
    Hey Spudman I thought I heard you say they were discontinued? It has been a while since I looked on the Squier website.

Oh no! I just checked look what they have gone and done.
    http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0321603530
    Looks like another Squier in the fold. I will never get that Gibson LP Standard.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man that guitar always catches my eye at GC, I just love that cherry burst!!! Congrats :

Oh man Spud yours looks sweet, great grain and burst. I see your pics but I don't see any of Duff's :

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Oh man Spud yours looks sweet, great grain and burst. I see your pics but I don't see any of Duff's :

M29
    YA, I wonder why that is? :

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures

Took a bunch of pictures today including the cherry burst, Squire tele Custom II w P90s, SX LP Jr all mahogany even the set neck w P90s, Keith Richards style Peavey Gen EX Vintage w full size humbucker in neck, Peavey butterscotch gen EX classic, Squire Deluxe strat in white pearl unmodified.

Still have a hoard of other nice ones that I need to take more pictures of like that affinity "black pearl" and my Schecters, plus my Squire walnut stain tele standard and the amber non burst flammed maple LP plus top Epi w SD '59 in the neck and JB in the bridge both nickel plated. Oh yeah, and my Peavey Gen EX Custom w twin chrome humbuckers and piezo electric saddle pups in stereo.

Some of my pictures are not that great but tomorrow I will try to figure out how to post them.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

I am dying to see these photos...ZMAN the photo you posted is just like Spuds and Duff has already said his is much darker....

Duff if you cannot figure out how to post them....

first thing set up a free photobucket account at www.photobucket.com load the pictures and then link them here...if you have issues.....email me the pictures at steveandsealy@gmail.com and I will put them in my photobucket and link them up for you.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast