Thread: Quirky Comedy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Quirky Comedy

I have posted a lot of Monty Python, but I also love comedy that is just a bit off and a little bizarre.

Raising Arizona struck me that way as a young adult feeling the pressure to enter married life with its demands. Here is a favorite scene. Please feel free to add scenes from your favorite quirky comedies.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, definitely one of my top ten favorite comedies.

Here's my favorite scene from my favorite comedy of all time.

The wife and I watch this one every Halloween.

Another fave:

Sorry if this offends anyone but another fave:

tung

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have posted a lot of Monty Python, but I also love comedy that is just a bit off and a little bizarre.

Raising Arizona struck me that way as a young adult feeling the pressure to enter married life with its demands. Here is a favorite scene. Please feel free to add scenes from your favorite quirky comedies.

I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No. 1 is classic! No. 2, I don't know but will have to check out, and No. 3, I love me some Monty Python!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

"Awweeee yeeeaahhh...you know its that time...awe yeeeeah..."

Post Thanks / Like

Office Space is funny to me in kind of a surreal sort of way. I worked in a place much like the corporation in the movie. The boss stereotype is dead on.

Monty Python flat out rules. :

Oh yeah, yet another:

Otto: "Apes don't read philosophy"

Wanda: "Yes they do Otto. They just don't understand it."

tung

No. 1 is classic! No. 2, I don't know but will have to check out, and No. 3, I love me some Monty Python!
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    "Awweeee yeeeaahhh...you know its that time...awe yeeeeah..."

Whaa!???? LOL!!!!

And Tung, I almost forgot about Wanda. Good call!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

How many movies do you know that have hysterical opening credits?

I tried to find a clip of "The Adventures of Martin Luther", a deleted scene from "The Meaning of Life," but sadly I could not find one on the YouTubes.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL, Marnold, you know that I am a fan, and that would be probably my desert island comedy pick. I would love to find that missing clip too. Being taught by pretty open minded Jesuits about western European history, and comparative religions, that Martin Luther scene sounds hilarious.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Office Space is funny to me in kind of a surreal sort of way. I worked in a place much like the corporation in the movie. The boss stereotype is dead on.
    I still work at a place like that and I would love to pull that off. A couple of people here know what I am going through at work and they can understand the humor I find in that clip.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quirky you say...

It doesn't get much quirkier than this.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Sun No. 2 is a classic too.

You've got to watch Office Space.

All the films posted so far are great (with the notable exception of Chicken Lady from The Kids in the Hall. I've always found her profoundly disturbing.)

I wanted to post the scene from Spinal Tap where Nigel is upset because the bread is too small, but I couldn't find it on youtube.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Good call SV on "Raising Arizona". Easily one of my favorite comedies of all time. I think the Coen brothers are absolute comedic geniuses, and that movie went a long way towards shaping that opinion.

On a note tangential to Python (and I love Python thoroughly) one of my all time favorite films is Terry Gilliam's "Brazil". It could just be me, but I find this movie to be the height of hilarity.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one for our Scandinavian Fretters:

There are two others that always make me laugh, but I'm sure that they are likely to offend everybody in the world. If you really want to see them, go to YouTube and search for "Buddy Cole I'm Canadian" and "Kids in the Hall Running Free."
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent choices Marnold!

The KITH were hilarious, particularly Scott Thompson. All of the Buddy Cole monologues were priceless, and "Running Free" is pure genius.

Possibly my favorite KITH bit was the two French-Canadian "furriers" who travelled from office to office in their canoe hunting for business suits instead of animal pelts. To this day, I cannot hear "Alouette" without thinking of them.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I needed the laugh today *shrug*

The embed doesnt seem to work, heres the LINK

Post Thanks / Like

"Raising Arizona" and "Young Frankenstein" are hilarious. I haven't got time to check out the other clips yet; perhaps later after work.

One of my favorites for quirky comedy (black comedy in this case) is Terry Gilliam's "Brazil."

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of my favs showing up here. Here's more from the Cohens (they are slightly disturbed me thinks)...

Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5