Thread: Gettin' sentimental 'bout the blues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gettin' sentimental 'bout the blues

Here's a recent creation, lots of blues and some borrowed. For those too young to recall, as in not as ancient as me, the melody at the end is from a big band classic called Sentimental Journey. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

http://www.box.net/shared/ib74mjxmz4
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, helliott! I enjoyed it a lot. Got the ol' toes tapping.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Sounded good brother!!!

Suggestions........Encore??

Oh yea need the setup info ..amp /axe:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Man that is good playing and great Tone there,I second Muds request on setup,Good job. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, dudes. Half the time I'm lucky if I remember I have pants on, never mind gear used.
    On this one, the whole family pitched in. One rhythm track is my Strat, the second chunkier one is the PRS. Bass is courtesy of a Yammy 5-string, and the melody (lead and harmony) is an Epi Sheraton.
    Eppi went through the Mesa (clean, fair bit of gain), both rhythms through the old Line 6 Flextone (Fender settings, both pretty clean), bass through the Boss 1200 recording deck effects (called Stadium Bass in this case.)
    Mic'ing was all over the map. Mostly close mic'd with a bit of room thrown in.
    Crappy drums courtesy Mr. Boss programmers.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one (as always) Helliot
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice playing indeed!

I can't find anything to criticize with the song or your playing, but I do have some questions. I thought the recorded sound is bit muffled. I have a nice amp which sounds very nice, but when I tried to record it before I couldn't get either the clarity of the sound or the ambiance onto 'tape.' I'm wondering what I did wrong, and whether it is happening with your recording too. Another very minor sonic thing with your song is that I find all the guitars a little too much crowded in the mid frequencies. But that may just be me and my ears.

Final verdict: two thumbs up

Post Thanks / Like

more great stuff!!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Great playing, great track. The PRS sounds pretty good. That was definitely something different.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Wicked Helliot! Great job!
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for listening and the input. In hindsight, it does sound a bit muffled, though it was fine in the cans. Maybe I could EQ my way out of that. Someone with more expertise than me, which is nearly everyone, might have a suggestion. I've noticed this problem before, but tracked it to my problems getting an equal recording between cans and monitors, which are just old Yorkville PA speakers.
    Thoughts?
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed this one Howie. I think it's excellent as always, but I understand the difficulites between technician, and musician. My take is to plug on as musician, as your recordings skills are very good, and will only progress more as time goes by. I'm waiting for the day when I'm as proficient as you are with the mike and tape :
    Last edited by Algonquin; September 3rd, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Yes, the only choice is to keep plugging, and someday, maybe get the golden ring sometime. Thanks for listening.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

That sounded great, Helliott! reminded me of fun tunes of Steely Dan, which is a good thing. :

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a chance to listen.......... good job, Helliott! That rocked, and the ending was cool...... I remember "Sentimental Journey"..... good stuff indeed.
    Thanks for sharing, I liked it mucho.:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Man that is some sweet blues playin'...I hear that old Humble Pie vibe goin' on. Rock On!