Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Newbie needs a pract. amp shortlist, new or used!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs a pract. amp shortlist, new or used!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie needs a pract. amp shortlist, new or used!

Me, newbie, got himself an Ibanez Artcore.

I need help building a shortlist of practice amps, either new models, or an 'old reliable" list of decent used combos (to screen on CL or such).

Goal/Style sought: mostly clean bluesy sound

Your thoughts or recs..?

I did read here about the new stuff coming from Peavey, the Crate sale, the recs for the Vox's... still reading!!

Post Thanks / Like

Budget??
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Under 150

Funny: with laptop, having morning tea in bed, spouse looks at the MF webpage for the Vox DA5, and says... "cheap!"
    I should sneak more early morning purchases...

EDIT/Additional Q: what is the actual benefit of a USB port feature?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Vox and like it and haven't had any issues. Plus, I like having the different models to get a variety of sounds. But, I have to say, that Crate V18 112 for $149 is mighty tempting and fits right in your budget and is all tube. And, you're getting more than 5 watts which could be a good thing down the road. I can't vouch for the quality though. Good luck with your decision!
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I have read decent reviews about the Roland Microcube.
    The samples you can listne to online sound very good.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Id say if youre shopping Craigslist, Im pretty sure you could find a used Vox AD30vt for bout $150...Ive got one Ive been trying to sell on there for bout 3 weeks @ $185(with the pedal), if I really needed the money Id reduce it to bout that....now Im not even certain I wanna sell it:

I also see alot of Kustom amps for less than $100 on Craigslist...I read good things about the tubed models and have always wanted to try one.

Id just suggest looking on Craigslist 3 times a day, so you dont miss any great opportunities, but be warned, youll find stuff you didnt even know you wanted...Ive been searching for a used Blues Jr on there for bout 2 months, and have since acquired 2 Strats in the meantime:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    EDIT/Additional Q: what is the actual benefit of a USB port feature?
    You can easily upload software revisions and record into your computer without the need for an additional interface.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Veeery early this morning, I read about the new/upcoming Peavey Vypyer 15.

Anybody know more about it...?

Post Thanks / Like

If any Marshall MG is on your short list... scratch it!
    MG = Marshall Garbage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    Veeery early this morning, I read about the new/upcoming Peavey Vypyer 15.

Anybody know more about it...?
    It is on my short list for a cheaper portable amp and has a lot of, but not all of the features of the larger Vypers. No USB, not all the effects, no onboard looper. But I am going to get a Vyper 30 for my son, and check out the 15 when I am down at the store getting it. Probably in the next week. There is a thread on the vyper series. Search "vyper" and you will pull it up. I would be considering it in comparison to the DA5 or a used AD30, and I guess the guys that know say these Rolands and Crates look ok too. I would lean toward Roland I would think between those two, but that is just me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I see used Epi Valve Jr. combos on our local Craigslist quite often. Usually in the $75 - $100 range. Excellent value there for a good sounding 5W tube amp. Look for the v.2 or 3 models, though--they have the 3 different output impedance jacks on the back (4 - 8 - 16 ohm). Also great for modding!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    It is on my short list for a cheaper portable amp and has a lot of, but not all of the features of the larger Vypers. No USB, not all the effects, no onboard looper. But I am going to get a Vyper 30 for my son, and check out the 15 when I am down at the store getting it.

I did look at the Vypyer 15 today, very briefly, at a GC near lunch.
    I don't know about the electronics, but the case is rather flimsy... even compared to a somewhat similar Line 6. Uh.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend any of the models of the Vox ADxxVT series. I have the AD50VT 212 and really like it alot. The Crate 18-watt is in your budget, but that amp may be a bit loud for a practice amp.

If you can find a used Tech 21 Trademark 10 or 30, I'd highly recommend either. Cool little amps with alot of punch and really good tone.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd second the Roland MicroAmp. Sounds very good, doesn't cost a lot of money. They are about $125US at the various local guitar shops.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Vox AD15 would be good, or a used 30. If you can find a used Behringer GM110 that would be worth a look too, great sounding amps.
    Guitars Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Peavey Generation EXP, Ovation Celebrity electro

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gm110

GM110 at audioallies.com under instruments for 98 dollars, thirty solid state watts, analog moddelling and cabinet moddelling and drive settings, plus drive volume, master vol, and eq. Has a DI out and all kinds of connectivity including an effects loop. Highly rated amp at harmonycentral.com.

I bought one from audioallies.com and couldn't be happier. Has super good tone and a Bugera ten inch speaker. Solid bulild and real good looking. A lot of amp for a little money.

This is out of production but some places like audioallies.com sell them but won't be for long. The new model is not as good, supposedly.

You would be able to dial in a super blues tone with this awesome thirty watt amp. Don't let the name Behringer scare you. This is a dependable and very solid Behringer amp.

Check out audioallies.com, no affilliation to me just a place I like to mention that is little known. Call them up if you can't find it on the site, but don't get the GM108, it is a different animal. The thirty watter is a strong thirty watts and has all sorts of tones. It's an amp you'd want to keep.

I have an Artcore AS73 cherry trans I just got recently. Super great guitar. You would definitely like this amp compared to the tiny ones you are considering, plus it's ANALOG modelling, not digital. Some people way prefer the analog modelling. I'm cool with digital though, like in my Fender Super Champ XD and Vox DA5, a great little portable AC or battery powered amp, but no where near the size or volume as the Behringer which can actually cut it with a moderate drummer in a smaller environment or blast you out of your house and upset all the neighbors while sounding really really good doing it.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Duffy!

I am in touch with the supplier you mentioned, and just need to pull the trigger.

I am glad to hear you mention the AS73 in relation to the amp, blues reference included -- I kept mumbling some of the lyrics of "Stormy Monday" all day... which is understandable considering the rain coming to N.E.!!

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vox great deals at MF

Musiciansfriend.com, has some great deals on all tube small amps: the V5 is a five tube watt equal to fifteen solid state watts for 99 and a V18 eighteen watt tube amp equal to approx fifty four solid state watts and more controls than the V5 and the V18 is going for 149 but act fast because they raised the price once already. Like at least twice the price. These deals are hard to believe and should be really super for blues. The V50 for 199 is fifty tube watts and is endorsed by a big time Blues dude, forget his name, see the Crate site. That baby is a class AB amp with two channels, clean and overdrive with lots of controls and connectivity and has an American sound, whatever that means, Fender I suppose, or Peavey Delta Blues, I'm not sure but it would be a super deal and really loud enough for future events involving drummers. You'd have the drummer yelling at you to turn down; a much more satisfying feeling than having an outrageously loud drummer derogatorilly telling you to "get a real amp" because you can't cut above his din. I'm a drummer myself, but unlike a lot of drummers I can play soft, not just all out full blast, which is common - full blast drummers that play really loud and can't really play good softly or even moderately. Not to offend any drummers, it's just a fact. You'll find out if you get too small of an amp.

I'd get on it right away and would think that this is one of the best amp deals that you are going to find for quite a while. Tube tone is preferred to a substantial degree by many players here and elsewhere. These are supposed to have a British sound, supposedly code for Marshall. Sounds like a good deal. I might get one myself if I can put it together. I have an inexpensive bass in mind to back up my expensive one but that should be around for a long time, these amps won't be at this half price or less value for long. He who hesitates is definitely lost, definitely goes for these, believe me. Act fast if you want the deal.

Go to musciansfriend.com and click on amps and cabinets on the left of the home page and select combo amps, look down on the left and you'll see Crate, click on that and it will bring up about twenty four amps. Look at the ones I mentioned and maybe some more but check out the tube ones for sure they are the ones marked way way down.

Hope this helps in your search for a good amp.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    . It's an amp you'd want to keep.

I have an Artcore AS73 cherry trans I just got recently. Super great guitar. You would definitely like this amp compared to the tiny ones you are considering, plus it's ANALOG modelling, not digital. Some people way prefer the analog modelling. I'm cool with digital though, like in my Fender Super Champ XD and Vox DA5, a great little portable AC or battery powered amp, but no where near the size or volume as the Behringer which can actually cut it with a moderate drummer in a smaller environment or blast you out of your house and upset all the neighbors while sounding really really good doing it.

Duffy
    Duff, you are making me feel bad about getting rid of my GM110 - Ive actually been toying with he idea of tracking one down again instead of the valve junior Ive been thinking of. Why oh Why did I get rid of such a great, solid little amp. They are now quite scarce in the UK

Oh and thanks for re-awakening my GAS for an AS73..............mmm Trans cherry red
    Guitars Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Peavey Generation EXP, Ovation Celebrity electro

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast