Thread: Pickguard re-cut single coil for humbucker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pickguard re-cut single coil for humbucker?

Couldn't find a thread on this while searching. Can a guy effectively re-router a strat PG from a standard bridge single coil hole to a humbucker hole? Considering a project here. Thanks for any advice. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try to remember to check this when I get home tonight (amid all my preps for a possible strike by hurricane "Ike").

I have a dual humbucker Strat pickguard and a std. S/S/S guard at home. I'll lay the humbucker guard over the single coil guard, and see how the routes line up.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to remember that the single coil rout in the bridge is slightly wider than a humbucker cut out. But I'll let Bloozcat check to make sure.

As far as routing the pickguard it is very easy if you have a router and a template. Stew-Mac sells the template made out of thick plexiglas or lexan. You simply mark where the humbucker cut out will go. Then using a jig saw cut away most of the material inside the route. Line up the template with the marks and stick it down with double-sided carpet tape. Use the router with a flush-cutting bit to trim the cut the opening to size.

If you want to go ahead with this project, I could make a template out of 1/2" MDF and send it to you if you don't want to buy Stew-Mac's.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Save yerself the trouble and get whattchu need from GFS
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Save yerself the trouble and get whattchu need from GFS
    Agreed...I believe the hole for a humbucker is narrower than a single coil, plus you'd have to drill new holes for the humbucker screws and have single coil screw holes still showing.

Stew Mac makes really good pickguards (I put their white pearl guards on my American strats)...they are really reasonably priced and well made, plus delivery with them is fast. Check them out at www.stewmac.com
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked two pickguards that I have against each other. One with a humbucker cutout in the bridge position, the other with a single coil. The single coil rout itself fits within the humbucker cutout, but the lower height adjustment bolt shows.

I agree with t_ross33 and TS808: buy a decent replacement and save yourself the hassle.

tung

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For $18.95 (I checked) I agree. I may or may not do the project anyway. We will see.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Just checked two pickguards that I have against each other. One with a humbucker cutout in the bridge position, the other with a single coil. The single coil rout itself fits within the humbucker cutout, but the lower height adjustment bolt shows.

I agree with t_ross33 and TS808: buy a decent replacement and save yourself the hassle.

tung
    Yep, exactly what I found. The humbucker route contains the single coil route due to the angle of the single coil route itself, but the single coil adjustment screw holes will show...and they are also angled and so are of no use.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

What project are you thinking of doing? (if you don't mind me asking)

tung

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    For $18.95 (I checked) I agree. I may or may not do the project anyway. We will see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I was thinking of finding a used mexi strat or decent squier, hopefully with a color appropriate for a tort PG and install that with a humbucker I have for a roadhouse rocker strat. But I may do other things first.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Im just stoked youre talking about buying something and modding it, as opposed to your previous "I dont have time"...cause its a hobby, you make time for it, and when you do its very rewarding!