Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strat suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strat suggestions?

Hey y'all,

Again, thanks to all who commented their opinions on the Ash Strat, it's best to avoid a potential disaster. I've E-Mailed the dude and told him I won't carry on any further with the deal.

So now I need to find a new contender from Fender. ( : )

I don't know much about Strats, so I would really appreciate any advice, what-so-ever, on this topic

There are a few things I want in the guitar:

£400 preferred budget (will go higher, just depends) so around the $800-$900 mark.

It's got to have a maple neck (all of my guitars have rosewood/ebony - I want a Maple now!)

2-point synch trem - for better tremolo action (I am under the impression that 2-point trems (with knife edges) work better for heavy usage than vintage 6-point trems. If I am wrong: please, correct me)

What are preferred Strats by the various Fretters? Why? What would you recommend?

I don't have much experience with different radius necks, nor do I with various single-coil pups, so I'm fairly open to any suggestions as long as they are justified.

Thanks a lot!!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

The American standard series might be a little pricey, but they are nice guitars with 2-point trems, and you can get them with maple necks...

Post Thanks / Like

In that price range you can find some great barely used American Strats. That's what I'd look for. Mostly I see them around $700-$850 with case. Happy hunting and patience is key.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I dig my Deluxe Players Strat - Mexican made with noiseless pickups. Loads of video examples on www.dolphinstreet.com
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Used US std. Why people pay £1500 for inferior 70s strats when the better modern equivalent sells for around a monkey I don't know. You may have to settle for one with some "relicing" on that budget.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be looking for one of the high end MIMs, with the 9.5 radius. The Deluxe player is a good bet but it has a 12 inch radius Robert has changed the neck on his to a 9.5. Then again if you mainly play Gibson style guitars the transition won't be that bad.
    I am not sure what the used Fender MIA market is like in GBritain so maybe your budget is too low for that.
    Are you planning on using the Trem alot? I have all mine screwed right down and don't use it. I find it much easier to use finger vibrato and bending instead.
    A Jimi Vaughan or even a 60th Anniversary in Blizzard Pearl would also be a great guitar. If you have been following the latest Squiers you will know that the Classic Vibe 50s and 60s Strats, and the Squier Deluxes come highly recommended.
    There are many options and the possibilites for customizing them are endless.
    Also be aware that there are several types of Maple board. The gloss neck, Satin neck and be aware that some guitars come with a maple fretboard attached similar to a rosewood board on a maple neck. These will also have no Skunk stripe. The ones with the stripe in maple will just have the frets attached to the neck.
    The stripe is used to imbed the truss rod and with an actuall fret board the rod is put in before the board is attached. I hope that is not too basic for you a lot of guys don't know that when they go looking for a Strat.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

These aren't really what you asked for, but these are what you want.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=517588

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=518871
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    These aren't really what you asked for, but these are what you want.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=518871
    I like the styling of that black Ibanez. : Very metal.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    A Jimi Vaughan or even a 60th Anniversary
    Thats what Id do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was going to say JV or 60th myself. You can get a JV new, and can find unused, or nearly new 60ths on the internet. I love my 60th. I know Justa and StingX love their JV's, and the primary difference is color and neck shape. (60th + modern C)(JV = V shape, both are 9.5s). I love the satiny honey maple neck on mine. I think, but am not sure, that the JV bridge pickup may be slightly hotter than the 60th, but both come withe tex mex pups that are full and warm with good bright tones. I think there is a wiring mod on the JV too, as opposed to the 60th, which is wired in a standard way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I would be looking for one of the high end MIMs, with the 9.5 radius. The Deluxe player is a good bet but it has a 12 inch radius Robert has changed the neck on his to a 9.5. Then again if you mainly play Gibson style guitars the transition won't be that bad.
    I am not sure what the used Fender MIA market is like in GBritain so maybe your budget is too low for that.
    Are you planning on using the Trem alot? I have all mine screwed right down and don't use it. I find it much easier to use finger vibrato and bending instead.
    A Jimi Vaughan or even a 60th Anniversary in Blizzard Pearl would also be a great guitar. If you have been following the latest Squiers you will know that the Classic Vibe 50s and 60s Strats, and the Squier Deluxes come highly recommended.
    There are many options and the possibilites for customizing them are endless.
    Also be aware that there are several types of Maple board. The gloss neck, Satin neck and be aware that some guitars come with a maple fretboard attached similar to a rosewood board on a maple neck. These will also have no Skunk stripe. The ones with the stripe in maple will just have the frets attached to the neck.
    The stripe is used to imbed the truss rod and with an actuall fret board the rod is put in before the board is attached. I hope that is not too basic for you a lot of guys don't know that when they go looking for a Strat.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    There are a few things I want in the guitar:

£400 preferred budget (will go higher, just depends) so around the $800-$900 mark.

It's got to have a maple neck (all of my guitars have rosewood/ebony - I want a Maple now!)

2-point synch trem - for better tremolo action (I am under the impression that 2-point trems (with knife edges) work better for heavy usage than vintage 6-point trems. If I am wrong: please, correct me)
    How about a partsocaster? For around £400 you could get the parts from, for example, Warmoth and have complete control over the pickups, electronics, trem, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks everyone for the suggestions and great advice!!

Sorry for the late reply, I've just moved to London. City life!

I'll have a little noodle-around when I get the chance and see what some of these ideas turn up!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can find a nice japanese strat, they are usually very good (especially the 50´s reissues)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I seriously recommend getting a used AmStd. I bought my '97 Lone Star for $500 with original case and case candy. Love that guitar. I have seen plenty of nice used AmStds of various models on CL and Ebay going for cheap. Look around.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the American Standard.Couldn't be happier with the tone and and the neck.It sounds good through all my amps,Bassman,Plexi,Valveking.
    Love the Blues? bluesrepublic.org

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Jimmie Vaughan. You didn't say what kind of music you play. The stock Tex-Mex pickups are pretty versatile though.

It's a great playing and sounding guitar for the money. All the guitarists I know who pick mine up have a hard time putting it down.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

If you're set on the two-point trem, then the American Standard strat is the way to go. Either that, or a used G&L Legacy or G&L S-500.

I'd also recommend the Jimmie Vaughan strat...the quality is excellent and the price is unbeatable. Not everyone likes the "V" neck on the JV strat; it's a matter of personal preference.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Used US std. Why people pay £1500 for inferior 70s strats when the better modern equivalent sells for around a monkey I don't know. You may have to settle for one with some "relicing" on that budget.
    A monkey?

I'm guessing this means a thousand quid?

My Limeyspeak sometimes ain't wot it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    A monkey?

I'm guessing this means a thousand quid?

My Limeyspeak sometimes ain't wot it should be.
    A monkey = £500. A ton = £100. Thus £50,000 = a ton of monkeys. Thanks to Steve Bell.

A pony = £25. If something is described as "a bit pony" it has a different meaning entirely
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast