Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Amp Build: Brown Note 18Watt Lite IIB

Thread: Amp Build: Brown Note 18Watt Lite IIB

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Tung,

Just curious on your friends build. Did you need to put shielded wire on the inputs or just did it in case of squeal? I had to use them on one amp but later on I took them off and it worked fine, can't figure that one out. This has been a touchy area on some of my builds.

Beautiful job:

M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Tung,

Just curious on your friends build. Did you need to put shielded wire on the inputs or just did it in case of squeal? I had to use them on one amp but later on I took them off and it worked fine, can't figure that one out. This has been a touchy area on some of my builds.

Beautiful job:

M
    Again, thanks for the kind words.

I built the amp with shielded wire just to make sure that it was dead silent. I wasn't taking any chances with that one. I also used a 330uF/450V cap in parallel with the first 47uF cap on the board. It is the blue chassis mounted cap in this photo:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/...rin7_front.jpg

I was afraid that it would make the amp to stiff sounding, but my friend loves the amp. And the amp is dead quiet which surprised me as most SE amp usually have some hum in them.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Real nice tung been away for awhile trying to get caught up here have been working on a 18w trem trying to find time to get it done........Not doing scratch build bought chassis, board,& parts from ceriatone pick a some gds transformer up off ebay....I'm just a rookie at this might have some ?'s if you don't mind....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F_BSurfer
    Real nice tung been away for awhile trying to get caught up here have been working on a 18w tmb trying to find time to get it done........Not doing scratch build bought chassis, board,& parts from ceriatone pick a some gds transformer up off ebay....I'm just a rookie at this might have some ?'s if you don't mind....
    Sure, I'd be happy to help (if I can). You can PM here, or send an email to steve[at]diycustomamps.com

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I spent about two hours today finishing up the wiring. I'd been kinda stalled as I was facing wiring the filaments, and I hate wiring filaments. But a little poke from Duhvoodooman got me going again :

Pix here.

I started off by finishing up the filament wiring. It went okay, but it takes a while and is painstaking work. Did I mention I hate wiring filaments?

Next I finished up the power tube socket and preamp tube socket connections. I like these new ceramic sockets, they take solder very well. I got good consistent, clean joints using them. We'll see how well they hold up, I think they are Chinese-made.

Next I wired the input sockets. This amp has the feature of having a single triode input and two triodes in parallel. Kind of like jumpering an old plexi, but the amp is pre-jumpered. One input is the single triode, the other is both in parallel. Two triodes in parallel give a slightly more complex tone due to the differences in the triodes and a little bit more gain.

Then I wired the volume and tone control. The tone control is a lot like the Tweed Princeton control, it is a low loss type that subtracts treble so you get a brighter sound and a less bright sound as you turn the control down. It uses different values for the pot and cap as the 18W is a brighter amp.

Finally, I wired the grounds. I used star grounding in this amp; every grounding node has its own return to the star ground. This is done to prevent ground loops, which introduce noise into the amp. This amp had the most individual grounds I've done: seven total.

This last pic shows the finished wiring.

I'm going to let this sit over night before I give it one finally inspection to make sure all the wiring is correct. Then I'll install the tubes and fire it up. With any luck, it will work the first time and then I can check the bias and basic tone.

Stay tuned.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

: : OK, now we're talkin'! Looking forward to the report after you flip the switch!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work man: Any start up rituals? Gas masks, respirators, wet suits...