Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SX SST Mahogany W/P-90's

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz, that is really one awesome ax for $110. Can't beat that with a stick!

Post Thanks / Like

I posted these pics over at the Agile Guitar Forum as well. One of the posters there named Mickey, posted a picture of the Sugar Daddy candy, and commented on how the finish on the guitar resembled one.

So, after thinking about it a while, Sugar Daddy it is. An almost perfect name for a blues guitar, don't ya think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, that looks really beautiful Blooz! I hope you really enjoy it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks on the well wishes, everyone. I guess it was my lucky day when I ordered this guitar. You never know exactly what you're getting until it arrives. It's just the luck of the draw.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, one addendum to my earlier review:

I took the time last night to adjust the height of the pickups. I cranked the neck pickup down to the point where the cover was just about flush with the pickguard. All the boominess, darkness, and muddiness that I first noted was gone. In their place was a warm, mellow, jazzy tone that was neither overly bassy nor lacking in upper range chime. I then adjusted the pickup up some, and the volume increased a bit. I tried playing some lead parts in the upper registers of the neck and I started getting some "wolf tones" in those areas where you'd expect them with a mal adjusted single coil pickup. So, I adjusted the pickup down until the objectionable tones disappeared.

Lowering the bridge pickup caused a drop in volume, and seemed to make for a bit more of a twangy, sterile tone at the expense of the great grind in OD that I had noted before. This pickup seems to like being closer to the strings, so I adjusted it accordingly. The only thing that I wasn't really pleased about in doing this, was the effect it had on the middle position where the neck and bridge pickups are combined. The bridge pickup with it's greater volume tends to unbalance the tone a bit. I'm used to having two volumes in my two pickup guitars, and this one has only a single tone and single volume. So, as is, I can't blend the pickups to my liking. When I re-wire the guitar, I'll rectify this problem by adding an additional volume pot and moving the pickup selector switch.

This one slight tweak has satisfactorily fixed the only real objection to the tone that I had...so I'm an even happier camper....

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought several Agiles and several SX guitars from Kurt at Rondo and have found him to be one of the nicest, friendliest people to deal with that I've ever met. His customer service can't be beat. The only time I've ever heard of him being less than courteous and helpful is when someone decides to be a dick!

The Agiles play as good or better than the early 70's Gibby LP that I used to have. The SX guitars are one of the best modder's platforms available. I'll continue to buy Agiles as long as the quality stay super high and the price stays super low. I'll buy SX's when I feel like modding something else.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12