Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Danelectro guitars - are they still available? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danelectro guitars - are they still available?

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the look and sound of the Danelectros you should check out Jerry Jones guitars. They are high quality US made guitars that have ironed out all of the kinks of the original Danelectros. If you buy one new they are around a grand but I've seen used ones sell on Ebay for as low as $350. They're supposed to be great.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

My middle son got a 2-pickup turquoise one when the Koreans first came out in 1998. It's been a good guitar, no set-up needed, and he nails the intro to "Here Comes the Sun" through a Vox Pathfinder 15R.

Post Thanks / Like

Hubb, I looked into Jerry Jones guitars about a year ago, but decided that my Godin Radiator is enough in that vein for me right now.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I see they have some new reissues for '07...
    Yep, this is correct, they flooded the market with the RI's for several years and then totally stopped guitar production for a few years and concentrated on their effects pedals. Last year or so they started up guitar production again.

I'll probably get a Dano of some sort eventually, when I bump into one at a good price and have some cash on hand (though I don't expect the latter any time soon!).

In the meanwhile, I have a couple guitars that have similar construction to Dano's (masonite/chipboard/whatever with a centerblock and bolt-on neck) that will do for satiating my cheapo jones:

Bought each of these for about a Benjamin ($100 US), the top one used but in good shape in a pawn, the second on closeout new ($120 but with shipping included). Would be nice to get some with lipstcks though (although the toastertop alnico singles on my Brownsville and the mini-HB's on the Daisy Rock are both great, unique-sounding pups).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad

Would be nice to get some with lipstcks though (although the toastertop alnico singles on my Brownsville and the mini-HB's on the Daisy Rock are both great, unique-sounding pups).
    You *need* lipsticks on a pink Daisy Rock.

Not necessarily for the sound, but for the image .
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    You *need* lipsticks on a pink Daisy Rock.

Not necessarily for the sound, but for the image .
    Haha, touche'!

Apparently most folks are unaware that the DR's are basically re-branded Schecters; the DR thing was something the Schecter president's wife reportedly came up with as a way of Schecter selling more guitars to girls.

I was really surprised by the quality of an import (Indonesian) guitar I could get new (albeit on closeout) for just a Benjamin. Those mini's really scream. I may just like mini's more than standard HB's (I also have a Seymour Duncan mini-HB in the neck slot on a Frankentele I have). I took the big step of gigging that guitar (egged on by my lead singer) within a day of it being delivered, plus with a band in which I was making my official debut on guitar (I had sat in on bass with them a few times prior when they were short-handed, and go way back with the lead singer), after a quick 45-minute run-through prior to the show (just me and the singer plotting arrangement ideas).

But just to be safe I played incognito:

Actually the wighat was my lead singer's idea too. Unfortunately he saw it in my office when he came over for the pre-show run-through, and I'm too big a goof not to accept a challenge like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad

Actually the wighat was my lead singer's idea too.
    Alright a T-Bone Walker reference.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Alright a T-Bone Walker reference.
    Haha, I've always called that thing my wighat.

I think it cost me tenner, about a decade ago.

I've worn it onstage exactly 3 times.

The first time was a big gig with my punk rock band, at a last-minute show we were added to within 24 hours of going on. Funny thing was, I went down the block after sound check (the place we were playing wasn't open yet, and I couldn't figure out how to swipe any beer) for a couple rounds at the nearest tavern (an Irish bar a couple places down), and some girl actually hit on me whilst wearing it.

Maybe blondes do have more fun.

The only other time I wore it, I flung it off within the first couple songs with an Angus-like headsnap.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, you're bringing back memories of "my first". Was a U56 I think (it had one lipstick pup) that mom helped me buy back around 1961 or so....

Cost us $45 used w/case and sounded great through my 50W Magnatone 1-12.....(with tremelo!)

Ah the old days....

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    And this is somekinda big change from the ones they used to build????
    These arent high end technical guitars...these are reproductions of the cheap old guitars you could buy from Sears and the like...like Silvertones.

Better or worse quality than Silvertone?

Do you even like blues? Alternate tunings? Baritones?

What kinda quality are you looking for when playing a masonite guitar?
    The 1990's reissue Danos were not bad at all. I have owned several and still have a U2 and a 12 string. The new ones I have tried have been uniformly terrible though; made in China, terrible finishes, lousy fretwork, tremolos that don't work right, brushed aluminum hardware. Just dogs all around. Total duds. My local GC is blowing the Dead-On '67's or whatever they're called out at $199 just to get rid of them.

Original Danelectros were very well made cheap guitars back in the day, and they have a huge following of collectors who hoard them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12