Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker upgrade for Hot Rod Deluxe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaker upgrade for Hot Rod Deluxe

I'm thinking of upgrading the speaker in my Hot Rod Deluxe. I like Celestion speakers and these can be had for very good prices this side of the pond, although their prices are going up on 1st October...hence why I want to get one ordered soon.

I've read both good and bad things about the two speakers I have in mind:

A) Celestion Vintage 30

These were fitted as standard on the "Texas Red" Limited Edition run of HRDx amps

or

B) Celestion G12 Century Vintage

These were fitted as standard on the "White Lightning" Limited Edition run of HRDx amps

The Century Vintage costs a little more and seems to have the slightly better reviews overall, with some complaining that the Vintage 30 is a little too midrange-heavy.

Anyone have any opinions on these? Anyone heard these in a HDRx amp (including the LE models I mention above)?

Thanks in advance.
    kipper

Guitar: Fender MIA 2006 Strat, Callaham upgrades
    Pickups: Fender Custom Shop '69
    Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby
    Misc: Vox JamVOX, Dr Z Air Brake

Post Thanks / Like

I have a limited edition hrd that has the vin 30.I would take this speaker for sure
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    I have a limited edition hrd that has the vin 30.I would take this speaker for sure
    Thanks for your input mrmudcat!

Can I ask...

Which HRDx limited edition do you own?

Do you find this speaker to be really loud? (the HRDx is loud enough with the stock Eminence speaker, and then some!).

I have read the Century Vintage is considerably quieter than both the stock Eminence speaker and the Celestion Vintage 30...which is no bad thing for me, given that I only play at home, and this amp is a beast to tame in terms of volume!

I use a Z Air Brake to attenuate and I'm not sure if replacing the stock speaker with an even louder speaker with help things much

What about the midrange? Do you find this to be very prominent? I ask because the negative reviews of this speaker/amp combination are fairly consistent in this regard.
    kipper

FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby

Post Thanks / Like

I still have the stock speaker in mine and have always thought that a different speaker could really help the amp out. I have a Warehouse V30 that I could stick in it. I just haven't done it yet.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of Celestion Vintage 30s in my Marshall. Love them in that amp but yeah they do tend to be upper mid-y but with the tone knobs on the amph I can dial in the tones I want. I also have one of the Warehouse Guitar Speakers version of the same speaker, the one Spud mentioned...the Veteran 30 and holy cow is it a dang good speaker. Nice balanced sound and I have that one in my Blues Jr. amph. I don't know if you're willing to order from WGS but I would recommend the Veteran 30 speakers but if you can get the Vintage 30s for a good price yeah do that too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments everyone.

As it happens I was actually talking to an amp tech the other day, who claimed that the Vintage 30 will make the HRDx seem even louder than the stock Eminence speaker as it's more efficient.

That is NOT the result I was looking for with the HRDx! It's already one hell of a loud amp. I personally think the HRDx amp is a great value amp, and looks really cool but it's really freakin' loud!!!

Even when I am attenuating using the excellent Dr Z Air Brake (which is pretty much all of the time) it's a very loud amp and I rarely turn up past 2 at home.

I've also read on Justin Holton's excellent HRDx website that the majority of people who change the speaker apparently end up putting the stock Eminence Legend 125 back in!

Maybe I'll hold fire on the tinkering for now...
    kipper

Post Thanks / Like

You seem really deadset on getting a speaker, but it sounds like your intent is acutally tamming this amp for bedroom use? And if the speaker is going to make it louder then you dont want the speaker...even if its going to sound better.

So Im gonna try and sway you another dirrection entirely...get new tubes instead.

If youve got OEM powertubes, some new Winged C powertubes will get rid of that brittle/crackly tone and will add more sparkle and shimmer.
    And if you get new preamp tubes, Id suggest getting two 12AT7's(for V1 and V3) and one 12AX7(for V2)(I like JJ's for the preamp)...these will tame your amp for bedroom level AND will shape your tone in a more desireable dirrection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kipper
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    As it happens I was actually talking to an amp tech the other day, who claimed that the Vintage 30 will make the HRDx seem even louder than the stock Eminence speaker as it's more efficient.

I've also read on Justin Holton's excellent HRDx website that the majority of people who change the speaker apparently end up putting the stock Eminence Legend 125 back in!
    So the Eminence Legend 125 is the stock speaker in your amp? Do you mean 1258? If so, it has the same sensitivity as the Vintage 30: 100db/watt/meter.

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speak...2&SUB_CAT_ID=4

http://professional.celestion.com/gu.../spec.asp?ID=4

The Vintage 30 my seem to sound louder due to the different EQ curve, though.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    So Im gonna try and sway you another dirrection entirely...get new tubes instead.
    I agree. The Eminence Legend series are fine sounding speakers by all acounts.

If youve got OEM powertubes, some new Winged C powertubes will get rid of that brittle/crackly tone and will add more sparkle and shimmer.
    What are the stock power tubes in the HRDlx? The Fender web site says "6L6 Groove Tube output tubes" which could be any current modern production 6L6 types. The Winged C would probably be an improvement.

And if you get new preamp tubes, Id suggest getting two 12AT7's(for V1 and V3) and one 12AX7(for V2)(I like JJ's for the preamp)...these will tame your amp for bedroom level AND will shape your tone in a more desireable dirrection.
    Not picking on you ShortBuSX, but I would recommend 5751s or 12AY7/6072s over the 12AT7. Why? The 5751 and 12AY7/6072 are lower gain versions of the 12AX7, the 12AT7 is not. The 12AT7 has different operating specs. One things that concerns me about putting a 12AT7 into a modern-production Fender amp is that they almost surely use 1/4 rated resistors. The 12AT7 is capable of drawing more current than a 12AX7 and the resistor values are all wrong for the 12AT7.

If you've done this and it works for you, then more power to you. But knowing what I know, I personally wouldn't do it without upgrading the appropriate resistors with 1/2W types with values more in line with what a 12AT7 would like to "see." FWIW.

my $.02

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Eminence Texas Heat is less efficient (will be less loud)than most and sounds good. Just a thought. They get pretty good reviews.

M29
    Last edited by M29; September 17th, 2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Eminence Texas Heat is less efficient (will be less loud)than most and sounds good. Just a thought. They get pretty good reviews.

M29
    Good suggestion. The Texas Heat has some nice deeper midrange and tames the highs and lows. The Eminence Red White and Blues is also a good choice, but alot of folks either do the Texas Heat or Swamp Thang in the Fender amps.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

You seem really deadset on getting a speaker, but it sounds like your intent is acutally tamming this amp for bedroom use? And if the speaker is going to make it louder then you dont want the speaker...even if its going to sound better.

The problem I had with my Hot Rod Deville was also the volume pots. It's really hard to keep those amps at bedroom level use as the volume jump seems to really be between 1 and 4 and then gradually increases at a decreasing rate. I wish Fender would go with a volume pot that is more tame and allows for a more even volume increase on the drive channel.

The tube swap is a good idea for sure, along with having a tech change the volume pots (which voids the warranty though)...then I think it's a very good amp.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting suggestions here y'all.

Even with the Z Air Brake attenuator (which I think is very good btw), this amp is a volume beast! I am, overall, generally happy with the sound I can get at bedroom practise levels with this amp (I do live in a detached house!), my ME-50 (I run the amp completely clean on the clean channel and use the Boss to get OD and distortion), a GE-7 EQ pedal and the Z Air Brake.

But alas...I am a born tinkerer

I had considered swapping the tubes as it happened...a very popular choice seems to be a change in the power amp section with the THD Yellow Jackets (to replace the stock 6L6 Groove Tubes).

These have got some rave reviews from people who have installed them in HRDx amps over on HC, although with this particular mod the amp seems to then become some sort of Fender/Vox AC15 type hybrid in character and gone is the big full "Fender clean" sound which attracted me to the amp in the first place. IMHO a good clean sound can have anything added to it and sound good and IMHO this amp - for the money - gets you closer to that Fender clean tone to build on more so than any other amp (unless you spend twice the money).

Although the plus side with the THD Yellow Jackets is (supposedly) the power is greatly reduced and the amp is more like a 15-watter with those tubes installed. Not sure I believe the "Class A" marketing hype though!

Certainly some of the comments and suggestions here are providing me with more food for thought...
    kipper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    The problem I had with my Hot Rod Deville was also the volume pots. It's really hard to keep those amps at bedroom level use as the volume jump seems to really be between 1 and 4 and then gradually increases at a decreasing rate. I wish Fender would go with a volume pot that is more tame and allows for a more even volume increase on the drive channel.

The tube swap is a good idea for sure, along with having a tech change the volume pots (which voids the warranty though)...then I think it's a very good amp.
    The OD channel uses a linear pot for sure. When I spoke to an amp tech recently about this...the clean channel (the only I use) already uses an audio taper pot. According to him, placing with a higher value one may help (say a 500K pot) but not a great deal apparently. He said the Air Brake (or other good quality attenuator) was the best way to tame the volume.

At least with the attenuator I am not going to void the warranty, which a volume pot mod would. I've got over 4 years to go on the warranty!! I don't know about speaker or tube changes though, I presume they don't void it but I can't be certain about that (they can easily swapped back to the originals so I would presume not).
    kipper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    So the Eminence Legend 125 is the stock speaker in your amp? Do you mean 1258? If so, it has the same sensitivity as the Vintage 30: 100db/watt/meter.

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speak...2&SUB_CAT_ID=4

http://professional.celestion.com/gu.../spec.asp?ID=4

The Vintage 30 my seem to sound louder due to the different EQ curve, though.

tung
    Yes, I did mean the Eminence 1258. Seems like the Celestion Vintage 30 may not be the best choice, although I wonder if that would be also hold true if I decide to put THD Yellow Jackets in the amp.

Decisions, decisions!
    kipper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kipper
    Although the plus side with the THD Yellow Jackets is (supposedly) the power is greatly reduced and the amp is more like a 15-watter with those tubes installed. Not sure I believe the "Class A" marketing hype though!
    What some amp manufacturers mean when they say "Cass A" is "15-18 watt, Class AB, push-pull, cathode-bias, EL84 amp" which technically isn't correct

If the amp is putting out 15 watts with Yellow Jackets, then it probably isn't Class A. An EL84 amp running in true class A probably wouldn't put out more than 10watts maximum given that an EL84 is a 12w maximum dissipation tube in class A. Class A is only 40% efficient, so for two you're looking at 9.6w. Also, the anode voltage would have to be 300v or less. Someday I'll have to get some Yellow Jackets and measure some of the voltages to see what they are actually doing in the circuit.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

You seem really deadset on getting a speaker, but it sounds like your intent is acutally tamming this amp for bedroom use?
    Well I was interested in changing the speaker because I'd heard that this can improve the sound and I'd read good reports of the V30...ultimately though, yes, it would be good if I could ditch the Z Air Brake attenuator (or at the very least not have to use it in anger like I do now), very good product though it is.

And if the speaker is going to make it louder then you dont want the speaker...even if its going to sound better.
    Fair comment. Although if I change tubes as well, it might make sense to change the speaker...or does it?

How would switching to 12AT7 in V1 and V3 help tame the volume? Would I not be better off replacing the 6L6 tubes with THD Yellow Jackets, and take the amp into Fender/AC15 hybrid territory, both sound and volume-wise?

I suspect no matter what I do I'll have to keep using the Air Brake...if I didn't have to use it all that would be good, but at the very least it would be nice to not have to attenuate so much when playing at home.

Also, if I changed the preamp tubes in the manner you suggest, what if I also changed the power tubes to THD Yellow Jackets? Or would it best to only do one of these mods, not both?
    kipper

Post Thanks / Like

My 4x12 is equipped with Celestion G12 Century Vintage. Great speaker with tons of clarity.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Not picking on you ShortBuSX, but I would recommend 5751s or 12AY7/6072s over the 12AT7. Why? The 5751 and 12AY7/6072 are lower gain versions of the 12AX7, the 12AT7 is not. The 12AT7 has different operating specs. One things that concerns me about putting a 12AT7 into a modern-production Fender amp is that they almost surely use 1/4 rated resistors. The 12AT7 is capable of drawing more current than a 12AX7 and the resistor values are all wrong for the 12AT7.

If you've done this and it works for you, then more power to you. But knowing what I know, I personally wouldn't do it without upgrading the appropriate resistors with 1/2W types with values more in line with what a 12AT7 would like to "see." FWIW.
    I cant say that I really understand what youre saying, I dont know ohms law nor can I really read a schematic...I got my info from http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_hol...html#lowergain among other sources, but according to Justin's site:
    Putting in Lower Gain Preamp Tubes
    This is one of the most popular, non-destructive mods for Hot Rods. The HRDx uses three dual-triode 12AX7s for its preamp section and phase inverter. The 12AX7 is considered to have an gain factor of 100%. Its sister triodes, the 12AT7 and 12AY7, have much lower gain factors and can be freely exchanged in place of the 12AX7s. If you have trouble understanding what that means then click here. The Tube Store does a great job explaining this, and includes a neat interactive graphic to help you learn.

Replacing several preamp tubes with their lower gain counterparts will obviously have more of an effect on the volume than only replacing one. Many people describe the lower gain tubes as having more of a "bluesy" sound. Personally, I like the 12AT7 in V3 with 12AX7s in the other two spots. I know many people who don't like how this sounds in their HRD. All of it really depends on the speaker that's in your HRD, and the sound of the instrument being played. The most popular replacement seems to be a lower gain tube in V2, which is part of the Drive channel. To find out which tubes do what, check out my preamp FAQ. To read more about the sonic differences between tubes check out KCA NOS Tubes and The Tube Store.
    Further more, non of the tubes sites make any such statements, that I cant use a 12AT7, most everything says they are interchangeable.
    and according to this a 12AT7 is in fact a lower gain tube...so youve lost me, and if I didnt know better Id think you were talking about EL84s or something, but Im sure theres something you know that I dont, so I'll wait for the explanation.
    But then again I do use 12AT7's as well as ECC81 in my amp and it works quite well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast