Thread: Played some nice Les Pauls yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Played some nice Les Pauls yesterday.

I had some time to kill and went to GC to do it. I played a new Standard, an Axcess, a Supreme, and a Classic.

The new Standard was nice - played great. The tone pots don't have the same linearity to them that the pots on my Standard have. They sound like they're rolling right off around 4. The clear control cavity plate is a little cheesy, but overall it was a nice guitar. The locking tuners are a nice addition.

The Axcess was beautiful - much nicer looking in person than pics on the web. I love the body contour on the neck heel and the small heel. The fit of the Floyd was nice, as was the nut. It's a well built guitar. This guitar is a "rocker". I really like it, even if I'm not a Floyd user.

The Supreme was pure eye candy. It has a chunky body. The flame on the back of the one I played was as nice as the top. The lack of a control cavity plate is a show stopper for me. It's a collector's piece. While it played nice, I just don't get the figured back and the lack of access to the pots. It's definitely not marketed to the "players".

The nicest player was the Classic. The one I played was done in some sort of antique burst with aged looking binding. It played great and felt really good to me. Short on the eye candy, but long on the mojo.

As far as "Plek" goes, I really didn't experience any out of body nirvana from that. The Plek'ed guitars played nice, but not anything above what I own now.

It was an fun and informative way to kill some time.
    Last edited by Plank_Spanker; September 22nd, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned in the Geoff Tate thread that I tried out an expensive 58 Les Paul reissue and although it was nice I didn't get any wowee factor from it either. Good thing huh? Saves us a ton of cash that way.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Was it one of the 2008 Les Paul Standards? How did you like the asymetrical neck? They are supposed to be pretty comfortable.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

The Standard was a 2008. The neck felt fine to me, but I've never been too picky about necks.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I played a LP asymmetrical neck 2 weeks ago. I found it initially foreign feeling and slightly clumsy but became tolerable after a short time. I suspect that it would become second nature if I bought it and played it regularly.
    The problem I see is what would I do with the rest of my guitars if I became used to it? It's different enough to be a permanent adjustment, (for me anyway.)

Post Thanks / Like

That is my feeling as well. After having played the guitar for 18 years I have become pretty familiar with a traditionally shaped neck. It might be a benefit for a good guitarist. I think it would just throw me off.
    Patrick

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting: I thought they were showing the clear control cavity plate on the web site to show the new electronics. How did the weight on the Standard feel. I just bought a 96 Standard and it runs about 9 Lbs. My new Studio is probably 7.5 lbs. They adverstise a plain or flame maple top, but I have yet to see one with a plain top.
    If you go on Musicians friend's web site and look at the Gibson Standard in pictures 13 and 14 they show a cross section of the neck profile, and the way they have strenthened the neck joint.
    Last edited by ZMAN; September 22nd, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the new longer tennon. I was never worried about my Les Paul breaking there. The headstock has always been their weak point. Both of my Gibsons have headstock repairs.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Interesting: I thought they were showing the clear control cavity plate on the web site to show the new electronics. How did the weight on the Standard feel. I just bought a 96 Standard and it runs about 9 Lbs. My new Studio is probably 7.5 lbs. They adverstise a plain or flame maple top, but I have yet to see one with a plain top.
    If you go on Musicians friend's web site and look at the Gibson Standard in pictures 13 and 14 they show a cross section of the neck profile, and the way they have strenthened the neck joint.
    The weight felt pretty close to my Standard - around 8 pounds, and the clear control cavity cover isn't just for demo models. It's tinted dark.................just looks strange to me.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to my guitar tech and he has 2 or 3 coming in hopefully in the near future. I asked him about the plain tops and they are only on the solid colors which makes sense. He figures the new neck is something he had always looked for in a guitar. He is one of the better players in the area.
    Should be interesting to see how they stack up against the older models.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.