Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Scuttle Buttin' - my attempt at this SRV song (video)

Thread: Scuttle Buttin' - my attempt at this SRV song (video)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scuttle Buttin' - my attempt at this SRV song (video)

I did a quick attempt at this song at my lunch break today. It is HARD! Actually even harder than I expected. The timing is tricky to get right.

I also find I need to get a special sound in order to make all the notes sound smooth. I ended up using the AC 30 model on my Vox AD50VT. I used compressor+chorus as effect. I found I needed some compression for this sound, otherwise the fast stuff wouldn't sound clear enough (which really means I just play sloppy).

Anyway, check it out and realize what a giant SRV was on the guitar!

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-13.php
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff there Robert. Will you do a slowed down version? Your videos are very good for beginners. We get to see what you are actually doing.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

That lick is hellaciously hard. I've been beating on it for a long time now and still can't play it at full speed.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    That lick is hellaciously hard. I've been beating on it for a long time now and still can't play it at full speed.
    Amen and hear, hear! Me either. I have an SRV instructional DVD with Greg Koch, who slows it W-A-A-Y-Y down, so I know how the riff should be played. But there's just no freakin' way these old fingers will ever be able to move that fast.

Here's an approximation that I use, which I can just about handle if I really concentrate. I call it....

Scuttle Fakin'
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

What did you guys think of my attempt?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Well gosh darn there Robert, I think the attempt and attack was just awesome. All kidding aside, as stated before your videos are very helpful to me. But I must say that some of the finger movement (shredding to me) is a little fast for me to see what you are doing. I am sure your videos are helping a lot of people.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim, this was not really a lesson, just an attempt by me at playing this song. I'm not sure I can play well enough to make it into a lesson!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    What did you guys think of my attempt?
    Oops! I was so busy commiserating with Marnold on how hard the darn riff is that I forgot to compliment you on how well I thought you did with it. Maybe not quite as smooth as SRV, but still very good. If you need to practice more, at least it isn't very much.

On the other hand, it's discouraging to me to know that a very, very good guitarist such as yourself still considers this riff so difficult. Just another "reality check" on my own playing. No guitarist who aspires to improvement likes to confront the reality that some things, no matter how devoutly wished and fervently practiced, will probably forever be beyond their grasp....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Rob! I`ll try to figure those licks myself... I never stopped to hear how cool they are `till now!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, Robert, that was good. You forgot the hat and the fringy jacket, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I am actually NOT playing it correctly though... somebody pointed out that I am missing one note, and upon closer inspection, I realized it's true. Gotta have to do a new version of that, playing it correctly. Sounds cool anyway though, because it sounds so friggin fast!

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta like it Robert, like all your demos.. Any idea when your instructional DVD may be available ?

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ted, no I am far from being finished with any good DVDs. It is hard to find the time to do it right. I'm also not sure what to focus on - I have gotten so many different ideas from different people. If you have suggestions for DVD content - send me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Amen and hear, hear! Me either. I have an SRV instructional DVD with Greg Koch, who slows it W-A-A-Y-Y down, so I know how the riff should be played. But there's just no freakin' way these old fingers will ever be able to move that fast.

Here's an approximation that I use, which I can just about handle if I really concentrate. I call it....

Scuttle Fakin'
    I have that same DVD, that I got when I won a question of the day thing from my local music store. I watched that thing, then thought to myself, "You have a long way to go, son."

P.S. Robert - I thought you did a great job! This is one of the first lessons of yours I watched. I did not notice the "missing" note, and would have to re-watch and compare to catch it. I thought you ripped it up. Maybe if I keep practicing, I can learn some of that.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Heck Robert for a first attempt that pretty darn good and the first time I missed the note missing so if you did'nt mention it I wouldn't have noticed I'll have to give this one a shot haven't done any SRV for awhile now....now you got me inspired
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod