Thread: Joaquin Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joaquin Phoenix

What a great actor he is. Starred in lots of good movies, did the Johnny Cash bio-pic to stellar reviews.

So, he was on David Letterman last nite......it was beyond PAINFUL......he hardly said one sentence........just one or two word responses....it was worse than pulling teeth.....Letterman tried everything to get him to talk.......kissed his butt, etc, and still nothing.....it was though he was in a drunken/drug induced stupor.....well, that's how he looked and acted.....finally, Letterman had enough and shot him a look that said, "...what the heck are doing on this show if you aren't going to talk?".....AMAZING, in that BAD train wreck sort of way.
    Last edited by piebaldpython; February 12th, 2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: error

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

What was wrong with Phoenix? Why did he behave like that?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Not your average interview for sure...

They end the interview nicely with both shaking hands. I just think back when Jimmy Kimmel has a stick going with Matt Damon. Matt then did a great video with Sarah Silverman who was Jimmy's girlfriend at the time... I won't be posting that clip though. But feel free to search it out :
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    What was wrong with Phoenix? Why did he behave like that?

Might get into futur character space of mind , i dont know , i saw that last night it was weird..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the first time. Joaquin Phoneix has a history of being a bit odd in his talk-show appearances. Not quite Crispin Glover, but pretty close.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Letterman's best line was at the end when he turns and says

"Joaquin, I'm sorry you couldn't be here tonight."
    The liver is bad, it must be punished.

snoglobe

--------------------------
    2007 Gibson BJA LP Junior
    2007 Gibson SG Standard
    2006 Fender Classic Players Series 60's Stratocaster
    2005 Fender Highway 1 Telecaster
    Danelectro U2 RI
    Aria More or Less Paul (80's LP clone with Gibson pups and guts)
    MIJ Squier Stratocaster (early 80's with 2005 Am Stnd pups and guts)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoglobe
    Letterman's best line was at the end when he turns and says
    "Joaquin, I'm sorry you couldn't be here tonight."
    That was great wasn't it... Joaquin cracked a smile on that line.
    Interviews like this are good for business as they get people talking about the show and such.

The only bad press, is no press.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Great actor, Walk the Line was terrific. But, this is self indulgent, nonsense.

If Joaquin had to actually work for a living he'd never get away with this kind of nonsense.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

My impression is it was a planned goof and Letterman knew before hand what was going to take place.

I vaguely recall an interview (maybe on Johnny Carson) where George Carlin never spoke a word. I thought that was Carlin's lousiest performance, but he was the experimenter.

I have never seen River perform, but I thought the interview was funny.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno........maybe he agreed to be on the show, but not to be laughed at for 10 minutes. Letterman pokes fun at everyone, and most are good natured about it, but some may not think it's that funny.

Strummy, River's dead, that was his brother.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Just found these Letterman s classics :

--Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I dunno........maybe he agreed to be on the show, but not to be laughed at for 10 minutes. Letterman pokes fun at everyone, and most are good natured about it, but some may not think it's that funny.

Strummy, River's dead, that was his brother.
    I meant Phoenix.

I don't know one actor from the next. If you would have shown me a picture of him from the movie clip, I would have no clue who he is. If he's leaving acting, forget music, be a stand-up comedian.

I'll stick with a planned interview and everyone was in on it or at least Letterman.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's just a publicity stunt. As was Britney's backslide and "comeback". I LMAO when I watched JP on Letterman. That's some sick sheeeit.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thw whole wrestiling thing was a made up skit
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Joaquin is a rapper right now and doesn't do movies anymore.
    Maybe he needs some though guy image right now.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

He said that he's quitting acting and is going to be a rapper full time...which means that he hasn't quite hit the bottom yet...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Joaquin falling more & more

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(