Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else "hit the wall" when it came to learning the guitar?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone else "hit the wall" when it came to learning the guitar?

As some of you are aware, Im still relatively new to playing - about 12/18months or so. I think Ive come on ok so far, and I can play a few bits and pieces, some scales, and my picking is far better.

However, I feel like I dont see where I get better from here; I feel like I havent actually progressed in a while. I think Im probably just expecting too much, possibly not realising that I am actually getting better. Its easy to think back to the day I first picked up a guitar and theres no two ways about it, Im far better than then, but I cant help but think "how the hell do I get better from here?"

Rationally thinking, Im probably being over-critical and over-expectant, but has anyone else gone through the feeling of hitting a wall?

This post sounds rather more despondent than I intended haha

Post Thanks / Like

i haven't made much progress lately....part of it is my fault....not working on it enough....part of it is not being focused on what i want to accomplish...some days i think i want to learn theory....the next day i just want to play lead riffs....i have realized that i really don't know many songs from start to finish....so i want to work on that too.... :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I've been there pretty much since I started, about 20 years ago I have no innate musical ability, so to compensate I taught myself to build amps and I currently buy gear.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by ShootTheGlass
    As some of you are aware, Im still relatively new to playing - about 12/18months or so. I think Ive come on ok so far, and I can play a few bits and pieces, some scales, and my picking is far better.

However, I feel like I dont see where I get better from here; I feel like I havent actually progressed in a while. I think Im probably just expecting too much, possibly not realising that I am actually getting better. Its easy to think back to the day I first picked up a guitar and theres no two ways about it, Im far better than then, but I cant help but think "how the hell do I get better from here?"

Rationally thinking, Im probably being over-critical and over-expectant, but has anyone else gone through the feeling of hitting a wall?

This post sounds rather more despondent than I intended haha
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I am a mix of both Tung and Nekid-Pancake-Boy.
    I'm up against the wall right now and will be watching this thread.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a teacher? That will make a big difference, at least if you have a GOOD teacher...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Do you have any tips for finding a good teacher?

I've tried a few in the past, but never have found someone who clicked.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Do you have a teacher? That will make a big difference, at least if you have a GOOD teacher...
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, I don't know...it's never happened to me.

Okay so it has.

One thing that can make a big difference is to play with someone else. In cycling we always say 'you're only fast by yourself.' When you hook up with someone else it is going to take to into new territory and a different learning and adaptation process begins. Then it's not just about you any more. It becomes this thing you create, the music. Your thinking has to change and your auto-neuro responses adapt. This is where the musician or artist in you starts to evolve. When this happens then you can move out of being playing focused and drift into song, music, or creative focused. This will help you in those times that you are describing.

In cycling you can really only be so fast by yourself but when you get a whole bunch of guys together (peloton) you can go much faster and further.

I hope the analogy helps.

If it doesn't help then search the forum because we talked about what to do about 'ruts' quite a bit.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I never viewed it the way Spud explained (the cycling), but that is a good way of viewing it.

Another thing, if you are not playing with one or more other guitarist, lay out a plan that has direction. By direction, I mean that each step is a building block to the next step. Mark Wein lessons are laid out that way and you will see progress. Get some books that will help you with the genre that interests you. Right now I am using "Blues That You Can Use" and I am finding it beneficial and no boredom.

There are a number of posts here about being in a rut and how to get out. What you are experiencing is the same thing.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShootTheGlass
    Has anyone else "hit the wall" when it came to learning the guitar?
    I've hit the floor a few times.

(Keep testing your boundries. Purge your setlist and develop a completely new one... that should cure your rut.)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember, everyone hits the wall, regardless of talent level. Well, except for Rocket, he's more efficient and lets gravity do the work and hits the floor.

It's all part of the journey.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Wein lessons are laid out that way and you will see progress. Get some books that will help you with the genre that interests you. Right now I am using "Blues That You Can Use" and I am finding it beneficial and no boredom.
    i've got mark's book and i also have "blues you can use"....just need to devote more time to the journey!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of good ideas here.Have you ever tape recorded yourself playing?Practice on a passage,lick,scale whatever and record it several times and you will hear where you need to improve and break it up from practice to loose fun cause it's all about fun.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    One thing that can make a big difference is to play with someone else. In cycling we always say 'you're only fast by yourself.' When you hook up with someone else it is going to take to into new territory and a different learning and adaptation process begins. Then it's not just about you any more. It becomes this thing you create, the music. Your thinking has to change and your auto-neuro responses adapt. This is where the musician or artist in you starts to evolve. When this happens then you can move out of being playing focused and drift into song, music, or creative focused. This will help you in those times that you are describing.
    Excellent advice Spud. I have found this to be true. Additionally, after I have played with others, I find that when I return to playing alone, I can take something from the group experience and apply it to my solo playing which I may not have thought of previously. Playing in as many different situations as possible is an excellent way to shift your perspective which should always lead to enhanced creativity.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Robert,

Do you have any tips for finding a good teacher?

I've tried a few in the past, but never have found someone who clicked.

tung
    Go to several places with guitar teachers. Ask others who are taking lessons there or have been taking lessons. Do some research. Don't be afraid to ask.

Also, make it very clear to the teacher what your goals are. Be honest too, if something isn't work for you, tell the teacher right away.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good advice. Spuds cycling analogy is a good one. Running, tennis, lots of sports could be substitited for cycling.

One thing you mentioned, learning tunes cover to cover would be a good thing to focus on. Mrs. Keel used to say I knew bits and pieces of a zillion tunes and zippo cover to cover. I made a effort to be disciplined and learn whole songs. Really helped as I got a lot more satisfaction of playing.

Getting stuck in a rut is very common.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    One thing you mentioned, learning tunes cover to cover would be a good thing to focus on. Mrs. Keel used to say I knew bits and pieces of a zillion tunes and zippo cover to cover. I made a effort to be disciplined and learn whole songs. Really helped as I got a lot more satisfaction of playing.
    This is great advice. Although playing for a long time, I don't consider myself any good, but here's a few things that have helped me:

- Learn some songs from beginning to end, just like Evenkeel said. The movement of a song through verse/chorus is important to learn
    - Play music with other people if possible. This really is an application of the first point. When you play with others you are pushed to do a song from cover to cover discovering all the gotcha along the way
    - If you can't or won't play with other people, play to backing tracks. It is a reasonable simulation of playing with other people.
    - Record yourself playing with others or to a backing track. I was much embarrassed when I recorded myself since I discovered that I go off beat, play the wrong notes, mis-pick, and in general demonstrated what a lousy player I really am

As far as hitting a wall is concerned: my progress rate is like that of a tortoise, at that speed I can't bump my head too hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have run into that in the last year. As I switched teachers, my new instructor finished up with me some stuff I had already been focusing on with expanding my improvising leads, and developing more expression, primarily in an expanded pentatonic concept and adding in chord tones.

But then I was stuck for a while, and what we did is go back to basics in a different area I had not mastered before, specifically, right hand work, both in picking and rhythm. A few new songs, two of which at least are in a completely different style, were assigned to learn cover to cover. So I guess the solution for me this time was to work basics in a different area from where I had been focusing. Took me in a different direction to get out of the rut, and is helping to develop fundamentals that were not truly there yet.

I guess if it were tennis, I would be moving from focusing on net play to improving footwork and groundstroke fundamentals. Or maybe moving from offroad bike handling to cadence and spin over distance.

A good instructor helps, and I am happy with the one I have. He helped me finish off the chapter I was on, and assessed and redirected me to where I needed to go, helping me understand fundamental music theory knowledge along the way. Weirdly enough, Mark Wein's lessons seem to track eerily with the areas I am working on with my instructor. Mark, where do you have that camera hidden?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Ive hit the wall - been treading water for ages. Theres a good jam night nearby, been as a spectator once but havent yet summoned the courage to go and make a noise (which is what it would be). Cant afford regular lessons either!
    Guitars Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Peavey Generation EXP, Ovation Celebrity electro

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Post Thanks / Like

some good views here. I started taking lessons a while back, and my teacher is very good - Id say he's the reason Ive actually learned very few bad habits. Theyre also very interesting, fun, varied and useful. Unfortunately theres no one I know who plays and I could jam with nearby me, not within about 25-30 miles :S

I suppose I am being over critical, thinking about it. I understand it takes some time and its not just an overnight thing.

I should really have started learning some easy songs first ; ages ago, the first song I decided to learn was Lamb of God - Laid to Rest. I can now play it at about 50-75% tempo, which I suppose is pretty good - but a bloody daft place to start!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast