Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff

Have you encountered it, the lead free solder, in any of your guitars or amps?
    No I don't think so. Then again all the stuff I work on is either old (pre ROHS), or made by me using "old" solder from the rolls and rolls of it I seem to have lying around still

I'm playing myself to sleep right now with that avatar LP Epi with "hot rodded" Seymour Duncan pups on it thru my Delta Blues with the RP 350 in line on the SOLDLY model and drive on the amp a little tremolo and reverb, nice sound. What is SOLDLY model, Soldano or Soldano with delay? Need to check that manual.
    Wow, playing yourself to sleep with a Soldano patch? My POD has a Soldano SLO patch and it's a high gain harmonic rich monster!! Not exactly bed time music, in fact I find it hard to play more than a handful of notes through that patch before I'm doing pinch harmonics and other metal mania

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playing to sleep

This patch is really nice sounding at lowish volume, really rich and lots of other effects included in the factory patch to make it complex and actually very rewarding for me.

I play some really mellow things thru it to, like "Imagine", "Helpless", and songs I compose myself like one I especially like the emulates a freight train rolling accross the Great Plains at night far far away, speeding up and slowing down, and blowing the air horn for crossings. This can go from slow engine idling at the station stop, to accellerating, to flying off into the far distance. If you ever lived in the Great Plains, you can here those big old trains go on for miles at night and the space and time thing distorts the song so a little tremolo on my Delta Blues gives it that distorted space and time effect, playing gently into the fading distance. I like that railroad rythym.

I guess in some way I'm like the guy in Chuck Berry's, "Johhny B. Good", but not a star. Just a fantasy star.

Sometimes the reality of things is the opposite of what you think it is, kind of like playing that model late a night to help me relax. It's not like I'm shredding. I'm not a shredder. I'm a rock a roller and bluesman. Probably an intermediate level player but I practice every day and use all my guitars and most of my amps regularly.

Just bought my old Marshall Valvestate VS30R back today from the kid I sold it to for the same price, 75 dollars, super mint condition, probably nicer than some floor models and this amp is probably at least 20 years old dude.

You might be able to help me ChOjin. It sounds pretty awesome with the Celestion G10C speaker in it but the speaker is old and you don't get a lot of note distinction in chords, etc. I want to put an new quality speaker in it and am thinking of a Eminence Ragin' Cajun or something not as expensive as a Celestion, but with incredible sound for a Marshall totally solid state amp. No preamp tube in this model.

I want to wind up with a nice smooth sweet tone with plenty of sparkling cleans on the clean channel and a nice smooth, not raggeddy distortion on the drive channel. Like get something with a big magnet because I believe more mass produces a better sound, like in heavier amps sounding better. I'm probably wrong but there is something psychological there or maybe even metaphysical, to my ear.

So, I want to put in a nice 10 inch speaker that is very very sensitive, and not harsh at all, but sweet, chimey, and capable of sustain and a smooth distortion on the drive channel. Like to have a lot of clean headroom on the clean channel. I like Eminence speakers for the less expensive ones but am open to other ideas.

Is that "Swamp Thing" sensitive. The "Ragin' Cajun" is very sensitive and made my Fender Super Champ XD a LOT louder just going from like 95dB to like 101dB sensitivity of the speaker.'

I'm sure you know what I'm getting at dude. You are a professional and I respect that. I'm getting to be a fairly good nonpro tech though, I must say.

I am really happy that that old Marshall came back to me. I started recently, after I bought my Marshall MB30 bass practice amp, to regret selling it.

The Celestion speaker sounds muddy. Is this normal after about twenty years? Can I make it sound better? Should I check it out inside and look for puffed up capacitors or any other obvious problems? I can even resolder slight cracks in the PCB traces successfully and know how to look for cracked solder joints.

It sounds reasonably good though, I just think the speaker is worn out, not blown, just worn out and I want a crisper sound with more controlled sounds and a smooth drive sound that responds to the gain knob. This one doesn't seem to be too sensitive to turning the drive knob. Not much total range of drive apparent. Even the reverb seems to be of limitted intensity gain from zero to max. Everything works mechanically perfect and it looks brand new.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Thanks in advance man. You are a very knowledgeable person, if not tuned in on all the latest and greatest technologies. There is something to be said for "tried and true". Engineers that don't know how to turn a screwdriver scare me. On the other hand some of the best mechanics I've known are engineers, they know the theory behind what they are doing and enjoy working with their hands, plotting, planning, and excuting their ideas in really interesting ways.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

This patch is really nice sounding at lowish volume, really rich and lots of other effects included in the factory patch to make it complex and actually very rewarding for me.

I play some really mellow things thru it to, like "Imagine", "Helpless", and songs I compose myself like one I especially like the emulates a freight train rolling accross the Great Plains at night far far away, speeding up and slowing down, and blowing the air horn for crossings. This can go from slow engine idling at the station stop, to accellerating, to flying off into the far distance. If you ever lived in the Great Plains, you can here those big old trains go on for miles at night and the space and time thing distorts the song so a little tremolo on my Delta Blues gives it that distorted space and time effect, playing gently into the fading distance. I like that railroad rythym.

I guess in some way I'm like the guy in Chuck Berry's, "Johhny B. Good", but not a star. Just a fantasy star.

Sometimes the reality of things is the opposite of what you think it is, kind of like playing that model late a night to help me relax. It's not like I'm shredding. I'm not a shredder. I'm a rock a roller and bluesman. Probably an intermediate level player but I practice every day and use all my guitars and most of my amps regularly.

Just bought my old Marshall Valvestate VS30R back today from the kid I sold it to for the same price, 75 dollars, super mint condition, probably nicer than some floor models and this amp is probably at least 20 years old dude.

You might be able to help me ChOjin. It sounds pretty awesome with the Celestion G10C speaker in it but the speaker is old and you don't get a lot of note distinction in chords, etc. I want to put an new quality speaker in it and am thinking of a Eminence Ragin' Cajun or something not as expensive as a Celestion, but with incredible sound for a Marshall totally solid state amp. No preamp tube in this model.

I want to wind up with a nice smooth sweet tone with plenty of sparkling cleans on the clean channel and a nice smooth, not raggeddy distortion on the drive channel. Like get something with a big magnet because I believe more mass produces a better sound, like in heavier amps sounding better. I'm probably wrong but there is something psychological there or maybe even metaphysical, to my ear.

So, I want to put in a nice 10 inch speaker that is very very sensitive, and not harsh at all, but sweet, chimey, and capable of sustain and a smooth distortion on the drive channel. Like to have a lot of clean headroom on the clean channel. I like Eminence speakers for the less expensive ones but am open to other ideas.

Is that "Swamp Thing" sensitive. The "Ragin' Cajun" is very sensitive and made my Fender Super Champ XD a LOT louder just going from like 95dB to like 101dB sensitivity of the speaker.'

I'm sure you know what I'm getting at dude. You are a professional and I respect that. I'm getting to be a fairly good nonpro tech though, I must say.

I am really happy that that old Marshall came back to me. I started recently, after I bought my Marshall MB30 bass practice amp, to regret selling it.

The Celestion speaker sounds muddy. Is this normal after about twenty years? Can I make it sound better? Should I check it out inside and look for puffed up capacitors or any other obvious problems? I can even resolder slight cracks in the PCB traces successfully and know how to look for cracked solder joints.

It sounds reasonably good though, I just think the speaker is worn out, not blown, just worn out and I want a crisper sound with more controlled sounds and a smooth drive sound that responds to the gain knob. This one doesn't seem to be too sensitive to turning the drive knob. Not much total range of drive apparent. Even the reverb seems to be of limitted intensity gain from zero to max. Everything works mechanically perfect and it looks brand new.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Thanks in advance man. You are a very knowledgeable person, if not tuned in on all the latest and greatest technologies. There is something to be said for "tried and true". Engineers that don't know how to turn a screwdriver scare me. On the other hand some of the best mechanics I've known are engineers, they know the theory behind what they are doing and enjoy working with their hands, plotting, planning, and excuting their ideas in really interesting ways.
    Huh???

Post Thanks / Like

Default ShortBuSX

Yeah dude. The RP 350 sounds relaxing to me when I play myself to sleep. The SOLDLY model is complex and neat and I use it sometimes.

I got my old Marshall Valvestate VS30R back and am thinking of putting a new speaker in it, a sensitive one. I would like to get some ideas on what might be a good speaker for that amp.

And I developed a "train song", always a popular type of song, and it rocks and I find it really relaxing.

I also like to play "Free Bird" with that model. It sounds cool.

Chillin',

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Do you have any ideas for a ten inch sensitive speaker ShortBuSX?
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, but I bought some new tips for my soldering irons and they worked great!

My irons are so old that I didnt remember what a new tip was like...well that coupled with zero soldering skills. So as my tips aged my skills have improved...I was scared to get new tips, having learned on crappy ones(for so long).
    For less than 2 bucks a tip I was soldering with much better control, I felt like a pro!
    Cheap Radioshack soldering irons(30 and 40 watts) have worked great for me, I dont even have a fancy station.

What I find helps me the most is additional flux, buy a small tub of the stuff...even if your solder has flux already. I never realized how important(valuable) it was until somebody gave me some to use when working on his guitar(electronics). It makes your joint soak up the solder almost effortlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not ShortBuSX, but how about this one:

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddet...d=10inchguitar

SPL = 96dB/watt/meter

I've heard nothing but rave reviews for this company and its speakers and the price is right.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaker

Thanks Tung! Actually the stock Celestion G10C is sounding better than I ever remember. But it has this small magnet and looks cheap.

ShortBuSX,

What was the "Huhh?" about? I didn't get that one.

Also, I use flux probably too much according to some but find it very helpful. The brush on paste type.

Also, I bought a 8 dollar 40 watt iron from Radio Shack and it burnt out inside the pencil metal ventillated part after only like 3 months. I'm reluctant to try another one but liked having that 40 watter in addition to my Weller 25 watter for quick melts. I want a new 40 watt one. I have about five projects planned for the immediate future.

Thanks for the input,

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Duff,

Thanks Tung! Actually the stock Celestion G10C is sounding better than I ever remember. But it has this small magnet and looks cheap.
    Yeah, I love those little Marshall Lead 12 amps from the 80s but the stock speaker sounds really bad. Tinny, thin, grating. Replacing it really wakes that amp up.

Also, I bought a 8 dollar 40 watt iron from Radio Shack and it burnt out inside the pencil metal ventillated part after only like 3 months. I'm reluctant to try another one but liked having that 40 watter in addition to my Weller 25 watter for quick melts. I want a new 40 watt one. I have about five projects planned for the immediate future.

Duffy
    You might consider getting the station Strum was asking about:

http://store.cs-sales.net/welowcosoirs.html

Not a lot of money, and will last a lot longer than those cheap Rat Shack irons.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soldering iron

Tung,

That is a nice soldering station for that price. Looks like it could do well for me.

Also,

I can't use that speaker. It is not available in 4 ohms. I will have to look around some more. The Jensen P10R is 4 ohms but is 90 dollars. I'll have to check out the ratings or check Celestion for a four ohm.

Any other four ohm speaker ideas for a thirty watt Marshall Valvestate VS30R in MINT condition for a old amp.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help with speaker's much as I've never replaced one in a guitar amp.

The 12" Sheffield in my Peavey is pretty good. I'm sure I could get a better one if I started swapping different types in there, but I usually run that amp into my 4x12 anyway.

The speakers in the quad are 16 Ohm 12" jobs that are about 40 years old. They look like this. That's not my rig, but I have the same box in black.

Anyway....soldering irons huh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soldering iron

Peavey makes really good guitars too. Too bad they don't make soldering irons.

I'm thinking of getting a Jensen Mod ten inch speaker, 39US. Might sound better than the stock Celestion I think is way worn out. Could be wrong though. It's not blown like my cheap Radio Shack 40 watt soldering iron is and it cost only 7US. Should have known.

I really like that little station Tung posted for like 39, I'm supposing US dollars.

What is the best type of tip, screwdriver - never heard of one of these - , flat, or conical for the type of soldering we do on amps and guitars?

I really like tha 5 - 40 watt range. That would serve a lot of purposes for me. I solder all sorts of things together like small appliances, speaker wires, headphone wires, radar detector cigarette lighter chewed off jacks, chewed in two extension cords, etc.

My just turned 6 new Newfoundland dog was a professional in a 200 foot long run with three females. Never had a puppyhood. So now he is experiencing his puppyhood at 6, it is really amusing, but he is really smart and mature and gets with the program way quicker than a puppy. He is soon to have his professional parts trimmed off. The paperwork is already in. Just waiting for the surgery date. Since his professional days are over, he is a house dog now and is getting domesticated, which is easy because he is the epitome of mellowness. No one would risk messing with me with him around though, if they were in their right mind. No one would want to take that chance. He weighs more than me and looks like a medium sized bear, black as coal. He is like 6 feet long tip of nose to tip of tail. When he begs for a dog biscuit it is like magnificent.

What an awesome dog and he gets along with my female black Lab that I used to think was big. She is 1/4 Blackmar's size. Should be less soldering coming up soon.

In fact, believe this: I had to solder my weller soldering iron cord back together just the other day. Had to use my propane torch. Hey, you're only a puppy once.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strum

Says this when you hit the link:

The product you are trying to view is not currently available. And there is no picture.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

really, works for me.

Well it's BernzOmatic Leaded Solid Wire Solder leaded 60/40 rosin core.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solder

That's the type thing I use.

I'm not a great expert on specific combinations ratios are best, but I would use this type as long as it's approved for electronics work.

What is the diameter of the solder?

I like to use about 1/16 of an inch approx. maybe a little thinner. Melts fast.

Get some paste flux and a brush and clean the places you are going to solder with the tip of an exacto knife or something to get any surface grease off and rough it up ever so slightly so the solder sticks better.

Bro finally got to me. I thought it was a good thread. Probably ended now, at least for me.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy
    Don't know about this one first hand, but here's a review of one of their more capable/higher priced units:
    http://hackaday.com/2009/02/20/tools...ework-station/

Aoyue is a Chinese made unit (what isn't made in China anymore?) that apparently closely mimics some of Hakko's models. From the gist of the above review, it sounds like Aoyue makes a good bang-for-the-buck soldering station for DIY'ers.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

For the DIY hobbyist on a very tight budget, this just might be the ticket:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...gn=email051409

For the cost of a plug-in 25watt iron (or less), you can get a station. At this price you could buy another one or two as back-ups.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    FWIW, I used this DVD to refresh my soldering skills. Well worth the $$, especially if you don't have anyone who can show you firsthand.
    I've got that DVD! Terry is just a great teacher, and that's a good production! My old soldering is just something I'm ashamed of...(nervermore)!

Thanks marnold, and o'course: Terry Downs. (No, I am not affiliated w/Terry in any way. Don't even know him.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast