Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Soldering Iron Recommendations - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine takes a while to heat up too. I also got an extra tip kit, but so far so good.

BTW, the solder sucker they have there...http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=370-030 for 4 bucks works great too.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Irons

Do these soldering stations, 40 watts max, melt the new lead free solder being used internationally?
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    Do these soldering stations, 40 watts max, melt the new lead free solder being used internationally?
    They should, the temperature dial goes high enough. But the issue is that the solder melts at such a high temperature that the components can cook due to the high heat. Also, the joints using the new lead-free solder aren't shiny like leaded solder joints so it is hard to tell if the joint is cold-soldered joint or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Burn

Tunghaichuan, so what is the best approach?

New lead free solder requires more heat. Heat can destroy components.

Wouldn't a 200 watt soldering gun or more powerful than 40 watt iron heat up the joint faster at the local site and penetrate less net heat into the component; thereby heating the joint site to required temp fast, do the soldering, and get out of there?

Use leaded solder over the old new solder joint, clip old wires, and use low power 20 - 40 watt pencil iron?
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, the best approach is to stock up on leaded solder. That new stuff flat out sucks. I have pretty much a lifetime supply. I believe leaded solder is still sold in the USA, so I'd get some while I still could.

For soldering, it really isn't how much wattage the iron has, it is more the mass of the tip. I think a a 40-60 watt station is the best. But get a tip that is suitable for soldering guitar stuff.

The nice thing about the soldering stations is that several different sizes and types of tips are available. The tips also tend to be better quality. The two replacements I got for my Hakko station are still going strong after 15 years of use.

You don't want an iron that is too powerful, a 200 watt iron with a massive tip would fry your components in a hurry unless you were very quick with the iron.

Also you'd want to remove the old solder with a solder sucker or desoldering wick, even if it is the new lead free stuff. You want to get a nice clean joint, don't solder over existing lead free joints. So basically, you have to learn how to de-solder the new stuff effectively so you can replace it with leaded.

Tunghaichuan, so what is the best approach?

New lead free solder requires more heat. Heat can destroy components.

Wouldn't a 200 watt soldering gun or more powerful than 40 watt iron heat up the joint faster at the local site and penetrate less net heat into the component; thereby heating the joint site to required temp fast, do the soldering, and get out of there?

Use leaded solder over the old new solder joint, clip old wires, and use low power 20 - 40 watt pencil iron?

Post Thanks / Like

I've found this thread to be very helpful. Thanks all. Tung, you especially seem to know your stuff. I am thinking to order the Hakko 936 but I am surprised to learn that it sells for twice the price (here in Japan) as in the US. I am currently using a very cheap $4 iron and have tons of soldering coming up so I do need to upgrade to a station. I saw a Hakko 936 shipping from China for $70 which looks authentic but you never know. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

For those asking about tip shapes, the Hakko site has a helpful guide:

http://www.hakko.com/english/tip_selection/index.html

BTW Tung. I just noticed. Do you like The Immigrant Song or are you a devotee of Thor by chance?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Burning

Therefore, Tung, if a lot of heat is required to melt the new solder how do you remove it without burning the inside of the pots, etc.?

What is the best method to use here? Wrap the pot in a piece of wet cloth to help absorb the heat?
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Therefore, Tung, if a lot of heat is required to melt the new solder how do you remove it without burning the inside of the pots, etc.?

What is the best method to use here? Wrap the pot in a piece of wet cloth to help absorb the heat?
    Like anything else, you need a lot of skill. You also have to have the optimal setup, which is a temperature controlled station and the correct tip with enough mass to melt the solder quickly and remove it before it cooks the components. Speed is of the essence here. That, and a lot of practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the Hakko 936 station and it works great. Heats up in seconds, nice iron. Amazing what a difference it is from the cheap iron I was using.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Just got the Hakko 936 station and it works great. Heats up in seconds, nice iron. Amazing what a difference it is from the cheap iron I was using.
    I'm sure loving mine....and kicking myself for not having bought one sooner!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I'm sure loving mine....and kicking myself for not having bought one sooner!
    I feel exactly the same!

Post Thanks / Like

Syo,

Sorry, I missed this before:

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    BTW Tung. I just noticed. Do you like The Immigrant Song or are you a devotee of Thor by chance?
    I'm not a big fan of Led Zep, mainly because it was so over-played in the 80s and I got sick of hearing it all the time.

I just like Thor's Hammer as a symbol, it's not like I'm a devote of Asatru.

Post Thanks / Like

finally i am going to order hakko fx-888 with t18-d24 tips

Post Thanks / Like

So, does that mean I'm doing this wrong?

Actually, I get better results using a $40 Weller WLC100 soldering station, 40 watt iron with variable temp

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, except for the color, that Weller looks suspiciously like this Stahl I got from Parts Express for $12.00 last year, otaypanky . It's also 40 watts and it works great.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it sure does. I see the Weller is up to $57 on Parts Express now, $52 at Radio Shack (online only)
    I just used it assembling 2 amps and it was great. The only problem was me not knowing that leaving it on would burn up the tip. I left it on for countless hours while I was busy trying to figure out what the heck I was doing ~LOL
    I went through one tip pretty fast. On the second amp I did better as I read a few posts and learned of my mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my iron

Moped: Piaggio Ciao PX

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to make sure components don't fry when installing them is to get a heatsink. You can buy heatsink devices that clip on to the leg of the component you are soldering and take the brunt of the heat so the part itself won't take up too much heat. they are a lot more effective than they sound or look like. I used to do lots of soldering in my job and found most of the time ii could get away without it (if you're quick enough) but mostly the heatsink idea is best for things like IC chips and sensitive electronics.
    Here's a link to see what they look like (one type at least): http://www.robotshop.com/Images/big/...g-heatsink.jpg

They are available through really any electronics supplier. Good luck with your projects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbySwift
    The best way to make sure components don't fry when installing them is to get a heatsink. You can buy heatsink devices that clip on to the leg of the component you are soldering and take the brunt of the heat so the part itself won't take up too much heat. they are a lot more effective than they sound or look like. I used to do lots of soldering in my job and found most of the time ii could get away without it (if you're quick enough) but mostly the heatsink idea is best for things like IC chips and sensitive electronics.
    Here's a link to see what they look like (one type at least): http://www.robotshop.com/Images/big/...g-heatsink.jpg

They are available through really any electronics supplier. Good luck with your projects
    I've been using hemostats for years. Not only do they make a great heat sink, but they're also useful for holding components in place while soldering.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast