Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Which shape do you prefer? Please select...

View Poll Results: The best shape is...

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The higher one

14 82.35%
  • The lower one

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which shape do you prefer? Please select...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Which shape do you prefer? Please select...

Upper or lower?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I like both shapes Dee, but if I have to pick one, I'd go with the upper. That one just "speaks" to me..... Good luck with your project!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks...I tried to make it kinda a small explorer type, but in order to get the balance right it needs to have the upper horn.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the mini explorer. Looks pretty darn nice.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think they both are awful. However I also think the explorer is one of the ugliest guitar designs on the planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I guess that's what I like best myself. A friend who just visited, however said the other :-) well, tastes vary.

It seems to me the lower horn could be a little less pronounced, but..well. Here's a pic with a strat body superimposed over it:

As you can see the curves placement and all should line up just perfectly, and the playing balance be very much the same as in strats despite the shape.

If I make the lower horn much smaller, it'll change the playing position pretty drastically.
    Hm, I suppose I will need to give it also both a belly cut and a sloped upper back horn so it's not in the way of the right hand when playing.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I can't say I'd pick either of them if it was me. Of the two I guess I like the lower one better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, tastes vary :-) I always did like 'em but they're waaay big.
    Although, if I didn't have one already, I'd be tempted to make this a V shape.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The lower one would have the benefits of being super easy to build, plus it could stand up straight on its horns which would be a big usability plus...
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Yes, tastes vary :-) I always did like 'em but they're waaay big.
    Although, if I didn't have one already, I'd be tempted to make this a V shape.
    Make a pointy Jackson V instead of yours. I think that would be pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Not particularly a fan of either, but prefer the upper to the lower.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I like the one on top better. It kind of reminds me of Paul Gilbert's Fireman.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dang, I thought this would be easy, but now again I'm getting partial to the latter one. It's much better balanced...the above one looks sort of skewed...and I'm having doubts about how it would balance.

Plus there are clear benefits to the latter one...only, it needs something...the upper back horn is not quite properly proportionate now.

Or, I could just round out the upper version like the strat and be content with the difference of the front horns mimicking the headstock shape...
    Well, luckily I don't have to make the call just yet. Plenty of time, no rush...next week, I might be able to glue on the fretboard. Or maybe the week after that...but, no rush.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I like both but for playing om ny couch the bottom seems it might be more comfortable.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Simple solution: just build one of each. Problem solved!!!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron View Post
    Simple solution: just build one of each. Problem solved!!!
    yeah solved if you have a bag a cash laying around,went with Maxi on this one.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer the top one. The bottom one reminds me of a starship from an 80' sci fi show. But both could be cool. Like the others said, build one of each! I like that you are drawing up your own!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, making two would not be much different from making one I suppose...for the body. Neck and parts...but that gave me a crazy idea, since it's a neck-thru I could basically make a swappable body :-) just have a cavity onto which the neck and pickups would latch, with a connector like on laptop docks to hook up the wiring.

That'd be pretty crazy...

But, I'm getting to like the X shape better all the time.

One thing I'm also considering is making the whole body hollow...just glue a veneer to the back of the thing, glue bits of wood all around and cut to shape, glue another veneer on top...I really have to think about that too. It'd be pretty easy to make that way, plus light as anything!

Gotta see at what kind of price I could locate some nice suitably thick maple and mahogany or something veneers...
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

When they're turned up on end they kind of look like little paper dolls jumping up shouting "Yay, pick me, pick me!"
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast