Thread: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help with speaker's much as I've never replaced one in a guitar amp.

The 12" Sheffield in my Peavey is pretty good. I'm sure I could get a better one if I started swapping different types in there, but I usually run that amp into my 4x12 anyway.

The speakers in the quad are 16 Ohm 12" jobs that are about 40 years old. They look like this. That's not my rig, but I have the same box in black.

Anyway....soldering irons huh

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Soldering iron

Peavey makes really good guitars too. Too bad they don't make soldering irons.

I'm thinking of getting a Jensen Mod ten inch speaker, 39US. Might sound better than the stock Celestion I think is way worn out. Could be wrong though. It's not blown like my cheap Radio Shack 40 watt soldering iron is and it cost only 7US. Should have known.

I really like that little station Tung posted for like 39, I'm supposing US dollars.

What is the best type of tip, screwdriver - never heard of one of these - , flat, or conical for the type of soldering we do on amps and guitars?

I really like tha 5 - 40 watt range. That would serve a lot of purposes for me. I solder all sorts of things together like small appliances, speaker wires, headphone wires, radar detector cigarette lighter chewed off jacks, chewed in two extension cords, etc.

My just turned 6 new Newfoundland dog was a professional in a 200 foot long run with three females. Never had a puppyhood. So now he is experiencing his puppyhood at 6, it is really amusing, but he is really smart and mature and gets with the program way quicker than a puppy. He is soon to have his professional parts trimmed off. The paperwork is already in. Just waiting for the surgery date. Since his professional days are over, he is a house dog now and is getting domesticated, which is easy because he is the epitome of mellowness. No one would risk messing with me with him around though, if they were in their right mind. No one would want to take that chance. He weighs more than me and looks like a medium sized bear, black as coal. He is like 6 feet long tip of nose to tip of tail. When he begs for a dog biscuit it is like magnificent.

What an awesome dog and he gets along with my female black Lab that I used to think was big. She is 1/4 Blackmar's size. Should be less soldering coming up soon.

In fact, believe this: I had to solder my weller soldering iron cord back together just the other day. Had to use my propane torch. Hey, you're only a puppy once.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strum

Says this when you hit the link:

The product you are trying to view is not currently available. And there is no picture.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

really, works for me.

Well it's BernzOmatic Leaded Solid Wire Solder leaded 60/40 rosin core.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solder

That's the type thing I use.

I'm not a great expert on specific combinations ratios are best, but I would use this type as long as it's approved for electronics work.

What is the diameter of the solder?

I like to use about 1/16 of an inch approx. maybe a little thinner. Melts fast.

Get some paste flux and a brush and clean the places you are going to solder with the tip of an exacto knife or something to get any surface grease off and rough it up ever so slightly so the solder sticks better.

Bro finally got to me. I thought it was a good thread. Probably ended now, at least for me.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.