Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

NTD New Tools Day!

Thread: NTD New Tools Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NTD New Tools Day!

Well after finally taking my stupidly large bucket-o-change to the bank earlier in the week and discovering to my giddy delight it contained $1001.75c in coins (yeah it weighed about 50kg I could barely carry it) I decided to splurge a little. Here's what arrived to my door this morning...

The Hakko FX888 Soldering Station

Teh Hakko by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

This baby is the replacement for the much revered Hakko 936 and sports some hefty improvements like like a 50% smaller footprint, 20 second faster rise time, a thinner element cover for better handling and visibility and the coolest holder/cleaner I've seen EVER. Given that I've been using a mains powered iron pretty much since I left the fume game 12 years ago, this feels like I jumped out of a B-Double and into a Ferrari.

At the risk of sounding like a d*ck, I think the picture came out really well too

Now when I ordered her, I saw another nifty tool for so cheap I couldn't leave it off my order.

The Third Hand by Duratool by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

I've been using forceps and clamps and my teeth for so long I figured it's about time I made things a little easier for myself and get with the third hand crew. For less than a ten spot, it's a must have.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! I have a can of coins too and thought I'd spend it all on strippers until I found out that they don't like coins! WTF?! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Very nice! I have a can of coins too and thought I'd spend it all on strippers until I found out that they don't like coins! WTF?! ;-)
    Apparently they don't like you trying to swipe your credit card either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Apparently they don't like you trying to swipe your credit card either
    HAHA! And yet the pole is totally a-okay? Shh... I don't think I'll ever understand strippers...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way we went from tools to strippers in 3 posts too. And they say men are simple creatures.. Damn right we are!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way we went from tools to strippers in 3 posts too. And they say men are simple creatures.. Damn right we are!
    That's not entirely true if that makes you feel any better Ch0jin

I was thinking about strippers when I read your original post so we never strayed in our manhood ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    That's not entirely true if that makes you feel any better Ch0jin

I was thinking about strippers when I read your original post so we never strayed in our manhood ~
    H'mm, so a man who works with leather, reads about hot irons and clamps and immediately thinks of strippers...

/me backs away slowly....

I was trying the iron out just before, and that holder is SO cool. You have the usual wet sponge deal, but also the cleaning wire which doesn't cool the tip and does an excellent job of taking off just the excess solder, and then there's a rubber strip for cleaning off oxidisation. These guys know their stuff clearly. Also it might look like blue plastic in my pic, but the holder is all metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!! I got a Hakko 936 station about a year ago now and I LOVE it. What a difference over cheap, fixed wattage irons!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like a well designed unit, for sure. I did think it was a plastic housing, the fact that it's metal is nice. If I had seen this one a year ago I would have gotten it instead of my little Weller. If I could foresee a lot of soldering in my future I would get one, but I think my projects are mostly behind me now and the Weller WLC 100 will suffice for little quick fixes

Post Thanks / Like

$1000 in coins?! Man, that's a lot.

Now you've got me jonesing for a nice solder station. I already have the age related viewing device. I already thought of strippers on the last thread I was on before this one. So, am I in the man club?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Very nice!! I got a Hakko 936 station about a year ago now and I LOVE it. What a difference over cheap, fixed wattage irons!
    For sure! Truth be told, when I thought about an upgrade I looked at the old "soldering iron recommendations" thread and saw yourself and a couple of others were happy with your 936's, and although I was a Weller man in my past life, the Hakko offering was just so much better at the price point I had to grab it. $174 AUS delivered.

I've linked this thread to the sticky soldering iron thread in case anyone else is looking as the 936 is now EOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    $1000 in coins?! Man, that's a lot.
    It doesn't look like that much, that's why I was surprised when I counted it out and got the total.

Here's $1001.75 in change. That's like $900 and something USD.

Post Thanks / Like

Your coins must be worth more than ours...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't look like that much, that's why I was surprised when I counted it out and got the total.

Here's $1001.75 in change. That's like $900 and something USD.

The only thing missing in the photo is a bong.

I can just take my coins down to the bank and they throw it into a sorting/counting machine. I don't have to do any of that. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    The only thing missing in the photo is a bong.

I can just take my coins down to the bank and they throw it into a sorting/counting machine. I don't have to do any of that. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do it.
    Funny you should say both those things Spudman. I sent that pic to my sisters phone and she thought they were bags of weed, not coins, and started getting stuck into me until I explained..

Also, complete idiot that I am, counted it all out before discovering that my bank has a counting machine too. I did manage to fill the machine though, and I got plenty of curious looks as I dumped pile after pile of coins into it

As to value, we have coins for $1 and $2 instead of notes and there were 228 of the former and 51 of the latter so that pumped up the total considerably.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, here you go....

This is actually the $4 capo from GFS, but I think the picture fits

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's a serious bit of coinage and congrats on your new toys.

My cup's pretty happy with the silver in it.

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Spudman]$1000 in coins?! Man, that's a lot.

You guys should move to Canada. We have a $1, and $2 coins.
    It doesn't take many of them in a bucket to make a Grand. They replaced the paper bills. Now it is nothing to have 10 bucks in coins in your poket, with 5 coins.
    A lot of us carry small coin pouches to save wear and tear on the pockets.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to have $1 coins and $2 bills, they didn't go well here.

EDIT: by the way, we did away with 50 cent coins and bills over $100.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____