No way. You didn't muck things up at all.

I have a spartan set up that works fine.

I have an old, like 30 year old weller 20 watt =+- pencil type soldering iron - like the ones on the welding stations except it is just one power and just plugs directly into the wall with no control box.

The one with the variable power would be best if you are going to continue to do this type of thing. Otherwise an inexpensive weller pencil type about 20 watts would be fine.

The Radio Shack solder is about five bucks and the can of paste flux with brush comes in really really handy for a novice and it costs probably about two dollars.

So for about fifty dollars you can have a top notch single power soldering rig with supplies with no problem. Why waste money? You might not enjoy doing mods. But then you could turn over a nice soldering rig really easy I'm sure right here on the fret.

I know quite a bit about soldering in pickups and might be able to help you just before you dive in. You can call me at 570 764 5705 any time. Sometimes you have to solder and tape off some wires you will not be using unless you are going to coil tap the pickups and get pots designed for coil tapping. This is a way bigger job than just putting in humbuckers or single coils because instead of substituting where wires go you have to dissassemble the whole pot, desolder all the wires and get them right on the new, different format pots. I have not split my coils yet because I usually just use the existing pots. Like two nights ago when I put a Fender Custom Shop Texas Special bridge pup in my '07 walnut stain Squire Standard Tele. Sounds unreal.

Duffy