Thread: The *NEW* Zoom G2 Multi-pedal

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few updated comments about my Zoom G2 pedal:

The acquisition of my new Tech 21 Power Engine has allowed me to run the Zoom G2's amp models through it, and to great effect I might add. The Marshall JC800 is a very solid sounding emulation, as is the Fender Deluxe. On top of that, the Zoom also has a variety of effects that can be implemented with the amp models, or as stand-alone effects (i.e. without using an amp or pedal sim). I frequently use my G2's effects banks when playing my Valve Jr., and they really add a lot of dimension to the already great Class A tone. The other thing I really like about it is that if you find a nice tone / effect combination, you can save it to memory. I dialed in a very nice reverb / chorus / stereo tape echo effect the other night, and can now call it up at the press of a button.

Zoom, having foresight in the aspect of using the G2 for recording, has designed features for use in both live and studio settings. For example, the amp / pedal sims have a separate presets for both live, and line-in recording (which allows for the cabinet sim to be implemented into the tone). Another cool feature is the built in drum machine, which is a fantastic practice tool. With over (40) pre-programmed beats (and never a complaint about what you what to play), the drum machine is a feature that I use all the time, and it's very realistic sounding to boot. Another thing I use a lot on the G2 is the very accurate built-in tuner. Over the past few months, I've replaced some of the hokier-sounding thrash metal presets with tones of my own creation, and I have those tones lined up in sequence on one of the banks for quick call-up. Being able to save cool tones and effects settings is a great feature, and something with immediate benefits - esp. if you use the pedal live.

At $100, the G2 has a number of very useful tones & features that will add value to you playing. I've only mentioned some of the features I use most frequently, but in reality, this is only a small part of what this pedal offers. Having used the 505II (the G2's predacessor), I can honestly say that Zoom has really taken this pedal to the next level both tone and feature-wise. Like I've said before, if there are 3-4 tones or features on this pedal that you end up using a lot, you've gotten your money's worth. The simple fact of it is that you will undoubtedly find a lot more than that, and that being the case, it gets a solid 4 out of 5 stars from me. It's a piece of gear I use a lot, and definitely a pedal / effects processor worth having.

Since my first post, they have added some G2 sound sound clips at the Zoom website. Check 'em out here:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/downlo.../demosound.php

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly not at the recording stage, I don't use too many effects, and I have an amp modeler in the AD30VT (I wish the line out that I use with headphones came after the valvereactor circuit), but the drum machine idea sounds interesting. I have a digital metronome, but that ain't the same thing. Does anyone know of a good drum machine? Or is the one in the Zoom so good, that I might as well get that and have the rest of the stuff just to boot.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized that I would probably need to hook a drum machine up to my stereo in order to hear it while playing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the cheaper way to go for a drum machine is via drum software for the computer. I can try free software & see if it works well for me. It's a bit of a pain as I don't usually play near my computer, but so be it.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of the Zoom pedal...