Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The *NEW* Zoom G2 Multi-pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I would love that JC Crean sound!

I really would recommend that you should take a look at the tonelab/pod XT instead. I´ve never heard a Zoom that could pull off a convincing vintage amp sound.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Most Zoom stuff sounds a little artificial to me. Also, I never read about professionals using Zoom stuff to make their recordings, but I do hear about the Pod and Tone Lab.

I hear the Prexi is good too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys think the tonelab is worth 5 times the price?

Post Thanks / Like

I think so, the amps are nothing but amazing. The tonelab or the XT is really not expensive imho, you get really good and authentic replicas of some of the greatest amps ever. Besides, I really love cooking with chicken head knobs on "big blue".
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblind
    Do you guys think the tonelab is worth 5 times the price?
    It is three the price for the regular Tonelab; 5 times for the Tonelab SE.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; April 29th, 2006 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

the new zoom g2u.1 looks interesting

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/index.php

set up for using both in front of an amp or for direct recording...i know zoom isn't really pro gear but i bet it would sound good for us home players.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to a few PMs with Spuds, I have decided not to purchase the Zoom g2u.1. I have been playing around with my V-Amp2 and I have re-read the manual. I picked up a few new pointers and understand the V-Amp2 more than I did before. Spuds also suggested a few tidbits of information that I did not know.

Now over the next few weeks I am going to experiment with some home recording and try different amp modelers and effects. Whenever I complete whatever project comes out of this, I will post it.

I think I just overcame a GAS attack. It’s just a mater of time before the next one hits.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

cool tim...reading the manual...who woulda thunk it

hey i think we are due for a get together!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Well a guy can change his mind can't he?!?

I've picked up a Tonelab & decided to send the Zoom G2 back. I am using this primarily for headphone practice.

Here's the scoop:

1) Noise: Zoom wins hands down, that sucker is quiet.

2) Amp models: Zoom has some nice sounding ones, but the depth & feel & richness of the Tonelab's is incredible next to the Zoom's.

3) Size: this is a tie. The Zoom is small and portable (batteries!) but that means that the same knobs are used for everything. It's a little too fiddly dealing with it. The Tonelab is big & heavy but you gotta love them chicken-head knobs!

4) I haven't put the effects through enough paces to know the difference, but I'm keeping the Tonelab for the feel of the Amp models.

Post Thanks / Like

tot, the presets are not that good in the tonelab.. I recommend that you tweak, tweak and then tweak again.. You can achieve great sounds with the tonelab, but unfortunately it doesnt show it the preset patches... I took me a few weeks before I really understood all functions. And READ THE MANUAL. I did not at first, and there was a lot of Aha!´s when I finally did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    tot, the presets are not that good in the tonelab.. I recommend that you tweak, tweak and then tweak again.. You can achieve great sounds with the tonelab, but unfortunately it doesnt show it the preset patches... I took me a few weeks before I really understood all functions. And READ THE MANUAL. I did not at first, and there was a lot of Aha!´s when I finally did.
    I haven't even listened to one preset yet. I am familiar with the format due to my AD30VT so I put it immediately into manual mode & started tweaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, its very handy to have the manual nearby, because the controls does different things on different amps.
    Last edited by SuperSwede; May 5th, 2006 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, its very handy to have the manual nearby, because the controls does different things on different amps.
    SS do you get model dependent buzz through your headphones even with no guitar attached? On the high gain models I cannot even completely dial out the buzz using NR. I'm trying to figure out if I got one with a noisy tube or other problem, or is this to be expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Thanks to a few PMs with Spuds, I have decided not to purchase the Zoom g2u.1. I have been playing around with my V-Amp2 and I have re-read the manual.
    I know old post..but...

Tim.. I had the V-Amp2 and gave it away... and this might be just new gear glow...but A friend has lent me his Zoom G2.. it blows the V-amp2 away IMHO... and it is silent.. when used with the noise gates/znr.. I am definately going to buy one.. I am really enjoying the different Distortions.. the compressor and all work great.. thru either my Champ or the little tube amp.. and it don't mind pedals in front of it either.. there is a peavey 5150 in there that will rip your head off... one thing I found out.. play with the EQ alot.. and you can tell the difference in every click of the dial... also in the different guitars used... just my opinion.. but I think zoom got a nice deal going here.. but then I liked the old zoom 707 pedals to....

Seems to be getting pretty good reviews all over.. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...t/Zoom/G2/10/1
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; September 21st, 2006 at 11:43 PM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    SS do you get model dependent buzz through your headphones even with no guitar attached? On the high gain models I cannot even completely dial out the buzz using NR. I'm trying to figure out if I got one with a noisy tube or other problem, or is this to be expected.
    I must have missed this post, sorry Tot! No, mine is dead silent when no guitar is plugged in. Even with the US Higain/Recto settings at full whack.. I know you changed the tube in yours, did it help?

Post Thanks / Like

I must have missed this post, sorry Tot! No, mine is dead silent when no guitar is plugged in. Even with the US Higain/Recto settings at full whack.. I know you changed the tube in yours, did it help?
    I sent that Tonelab back a long time ago & got a new one. This one worked much better (must'a been a wonky tube). I've had no problems & I love it.

I changed the tube to a gold pin JJ ECC803s just fer laughs. I got it from Eurotubes with balanced triodes. I thought that it couldn't hurt since the Valvereactor uses one triode for push & one for pull on the class AB models.

It sounds great t'me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    I am really enjoying the different Distortions.. the compressor and all work great.. thru either my Champ or the little tube amp.. and it don't mind pedals in front of it either.. there is a peavey 5150 in there that will rip your head off... one thing I found out.. play with the EQ alot.. and you can tell the difference in every click of the dial... also in the different guitars used... just my opinion.. but I think zoom got a nice deal going here.. but then I liked the old zoom 707 pedals to....
    I've had my G2 for about a year now, and it hasn't missed a beat. Great little effects processing pedal. I do agree with the Spudman that some of the tones are a little bit digital-sounding. But that's something I've learned to work around with by using some other pedals to enhance overall effect. As Justa mentions, it doesn't get fussy when chained with other pedals. As such, I often use the Bad Monkey to "warm up" a few of the higher distortion models. Takes the "edge" off the hi-gain stuff very nicely. The bank of clean tones are what I use most often (the Fender Tweed sim is really good), and again, lining it up with the BM works wonderfully. Justa' is also right on by mentioning the importance of the EQ adjustment parameters, esp. when using different guitars. If you spend some time with it, chances are good that you'll find some great tones to use. And when you do - zam! - save 'em to memory. Nice.

Really, for $100, this pedal has a lot of useful tones and features.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    The bank of clean tones are what I use most often (the Fender Tweed sim is really good)
    I like the clean..and this MFX box is so silent... but... if I still rolled one.. I could listen to the Distortion all day on this thing.. I never had any MFX box yet that can scream like this thing.. ofcourse thats all subjective isn't it..

Ok I don't roll ... but being drunk..these still sound good loop'n in my head.. listen to this... I am sure no one will buy one after ...lol

I got to quit doing this stuff.. Peavey 5150 (included in $99.00 Zoom G2) , fender MIM 60's strat bridge (Few Hundred for whole geetar) .. me ruining it..(priceless!!)
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; November 12th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Justa, that kind of chainsaw distorsion actually appeals to some people...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast