Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The *NEW* Zoom G2 Multi-pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Well Justa, that kind of chainsaw distorsion actually appeals to some people...
    heh... ummm a little to much distortion maybe? That's whats nice about this place.. even when your messing.. no one is gonna say anything... I noticed Nelskie said he takes the edge off..I figured I would put some on.. oh you got to loop it like 10 times with your eyes close..it starts to grow on ya...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

You should record that with 50% less distorsion Justa, its going to be a hit song.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    You should record that with 50% less distorsion Justa, its going to be a hit song.
    Yeah, I can see the jewel case

A big red sticker reading:

Now with 50% less DISTORTION!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Yeah, I can see the jewel case

A big red sticker reading:

Now with 50% less DISTORTION!!!!!!
    I guess you'd have to be careful how it was presented because if you say "distortion lite" or "lite distortion" you can be sued later by the people that got too much distortion because they thought "lite" was OK for them and listened to it twice as much.

I thought the sound was a little on the edgy side. Cool but a little harsh. Try less distortion and let some of the guitar's tone come through.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I thought the sound was a little on the edgy side. Cool but a little harsh. Try less distortion and let some of the guitar's tone come through.
    But..But I can't... it would stiffle my creative juices...

Ahh the Zoom G2.. all the Distortion one would want.. and then some..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Secret Weapon

Played at an open jam last nite - a low key affair with some cats who like the blues. Friend of a friend kind of thing, at the invitation of mutual playing acquaintance. It's something I'd been meaning to do all summer, but of course, was saddled with other activities. I arrived to find out that the core players were all friendly gray-hairs, which I hadn't originally expected. As I was setting up my rig, the dude playing bass pro-offered the comment, "just so you know, we don't do any Nirvana", which elicited some chuckles from the other guys. I re-assured them that my playing repetoir would be more than satisfactory for their needs, and quipped back, "might even show you pros a thing or two."

One of the guitarists that was playing with us was using a PODxt Live floor console, which he had running through a smaller, budget PA set-up that he purchased from MF. The other guy was using a Fender Blues Jr., which he had mic'ed with a single SM-57 through the regular PA. Since I hadn't been in the mood to haul any serious gear, but wanted to have some different tones on tap, I decided to take my Valve Jr. head, my 112E 12" cab, my TS-9, and my Zoom G2. With my guitar gig-bag backpack, it was one trip from the car to the stage.

We ran through a set comprised mostly of blues standards - Muddy, Howlin', The Hook, John Mayall, old Yardbirds, Allmans, SRV, Hendrix, etc. - even some Johnny Cash. The mix was nice, and no one was trying to blast anyone else out of the picture with volume, which in turn allowed for some excellent exploratory landscape. The thing I found most interesting was the interplay between the two modeling rigs, and the guy playing the Blues Jr. I used the Fender Tweed Clean and Blackface models almost exclusively, and with the Valve Jr. head acting as a tube pre-amp of a sort, the tone I was getting was right on the money (in a modeling sense, that is.) The TS-9 allowed me the option of adding a but of juice here and there, and its tone control was an effective EQ if I needed a little more bite to cut through the mix (even though the two settings I used were EQ'ed spot-on to begin with) . The guy with the Blues Jr. seemed especially impressed with the tone I was getting. I rolled out the Soldano model for the closer - "Train Kept A' Rollin", and we whipped the regulars into frenzy - or as much frenzy as a dozen semi-intoxicated people can make.

Even though everything was played at very moderate volume (cuz' its a very small, narrow, and long room), my Valve Jr. head kept up quite well with the other rigs - even un-mic'ed. I ran it about 2-4 o'clock most of the night, and it didn't fuss one bit. The Zoom G2 was mouse quiet, and my P-90 Epi Les Paul offered me plenty of tonal flexibilty. The guys I played with were both fantastic players, and mixed things up quite frequently by changing p'up positions, which was very cool in the sense that someone was almost always playing somewhere different (p'up position-wise) on each and every song - just trying to add color to the overall sound. The other thing that was great was that they both liked to play rhythm, and never over-played their leads - something I often hard to do when playing very basic stuff. We seemed to find a tasty groove on every number we played.

Following the jam, we had some interesting discussion about gear over a few cold brews. Both guitarists appeared very excited at the prospects of the next open jam two weeks from now. It was funny to me that they were so enthralled at the fact that a youngster like me (yeah, a 40-year old youngster) had such a keen appreciation for older blues stuff. You should've seen the smiles on their faces when I suggested songs like "Black Coffee", "Red Rooster" and "Killing Floor".

Overall, I'd have to say that the G2 / Valve Jr. combo is a very effective one. It's almost seems like they were tailor-made for each other. I was also happy that I'd finally had a chace to use the Jr. in a live setting - - proving to me that it, too, likes to breathe deeply and let its hair down every once in awhile. For smaller clubs and outdoor venues, though, it'll definitely need to be mic'ed. But for smaller-sized jam sessions like this one - it's just about perfect.

All-in-all, it looks like I have a new *secret weapon* (shhhhhh - don't tell anyone).
    Last edited by Nelskie; November 10th, 2006 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I wish that we had that kind of happenings here.
    A P90 guitar seems like the perfect choice for the kind of music that were favoured at that jam night. Record something for us next time!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123