Thread: 70's Spacey music - Friday again

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 70's Spacey music - Friday again

I used to post music on Fridays. Haven't done that in a while. Well, here we go again. The scene: so I am a preteen kid, becoming more aware of rock music, and into sci fi, like Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles. Here a a couple of the songs. Feel free to add to the theme.

Rocket Man - I love the piano and chord voicings.
    Great vocals and performance in this old live recording.

Space Oddity, released in '69, but a '70s song to me.

What the cool older kids were listening to. Had to go out and get it, and put the enclosed "Pyramid" poster up on my ceiling above my bed.

Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Rush Cygnus x-1

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Sticking with Bowie and Space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4XanKGvr3w
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Come Sail Away - Styx

I loved this song when I was 10...Now I don't...not even a little.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Another early Bowie, but performed more recently. The was a great A&E show.

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some interesting picks. Thanks for sharing. Since Bowie carried the day, I'll post one more. Not specifically space related, but best eclectic use of piano in a rock performance. I played piano back then and was hugely a fan of modern music with piano.

Alladin Sane

Also, one more from Elton. This song may seem overplayed to some, but the sycnopation and progressive chords have been a huge influence on what I like in music.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

What, nobody posted this yet?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yah, incredible oversight. Thanks for catching it Marnold!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

was just getting ready to post this.... :

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    What, nobody posted this yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah