Thread: Classic Vibe: I cannot decide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic Vibe: I cannot decide

Hello!

Perhaps i will sell one of my guitars this afternoon.

So, as GAS has taken control over me, I'm looking for one of the classic vibe strats. But I cannot decide: Take the 56's or the 50's. I now listend to all of the youtube videos. The 50's looks the way a strat should look and has this realy nice clear tone. The 60s is therefore much warmer.

Has anyone soundclips of those? With this videos it's hard to tell the last differences. And i have to order them, because none of the stores here have them. And I don't want to send them back afterwards.

Before you give me the tip: No, I cannot buy oth of them
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the 60's strat has AlNiCo V pups so they have more output. They will sound a little fatter with distortion but not quite as good clean in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moshe
    Well, the 60's strat has AlNiCo V pups so they have more output. They will sound a little fatter with distortion but not quite as good clean in my opinion.
    Thank's Moshe, I share this opinion.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done some research on the pickups. If you look at the wiring diagram and parts list for the two guitars they have the same part number.
    I sent an email to Fender and they said that they share the same number except that the 50s have an alnico 3 magnets and the 60s a Alnico 5.
    Also one of the members on the FDP measured the output and this was his findings.

50's: Bridge=6.0K
    middle=6.0K
    Neck=5.7K

60's: Bridge=6.7K
    Middle=6.3K
    Neck=6.0K
    I also printed both parts lists and they are basically the same guitar with a different pickguard and the different magnets and neck.
    I have the 50s CV and I just love it. It is what a Classic Strat should look like.
    It sounds like a 50s Strat where the magnets have weakened to give it a sweet tone.
    If you want to go with the SRV vibe then the 60s is for you.
    Hope this helps.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I have the 50s CV and I just love it. It is what a Classic Strat should look like.
    It sounds like a 50s Strat where the magnets have weakened to give it a sweet tone.
    If you want to go with the SRV vibe then the 60s is for you.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for this detailes information.

I loke the tone of a 50's strat very much. I have other guitars for punching rock, therefore I think I will go for the 50's strat.
    Greetings

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 50s is the way to go but why not get both and end the dilemma? Sell or return whichever you don't like.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that little Duo-Sonic... if it wasn't a Squier I think I'd buy it just to have one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I think the 50s is the way to go but why not get both and end the dilemma? Sell or return whichever you don't like.
    You are able to not like a strat? I'm not :-)
    Greetings

Christian