Thread: Iacta alea est!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Iacta alea est!

Yes, the die is cast, comrades.

I haven't been playing in a long time, since neither of my side bands, Dynamite Charade and Hoyt and the Hotheads, have been doing much of anything lately. Crash Pad only exists on paper. I was trying to give CP a go with some young kids who were a lot of work to ride herd on, and it got to be more work than fun. Since we all know there's no money in this, there was no point in not having fun with it.

Anyhow, here's what's up, Crash Pad got an invite to be on a local benefit compliation CD, for the homeless charity called the HOME Van. Crash Pad was on the prior HOME Van comp several years ago (as were the Hotheads) and in addition to helping out a worthy cause it was fun to just have a song out on an actual CD.

Obviously since there really isn't a "Crash Pad" right now, I can either do some "acoustic version" of something by myself, or get together some crackerjack musos and rock it out proper. I'm hoping to maybe even work up a setlist and play an occasional show-- I'm sure there's going to be a show for the HOME Van comp to publicize it, at an absolute minimum, and that would be fun to try and get on the bill, as it will no doubt be well-publicized and well-attended.

The rhythm section from Dynamite Charade had previously expressed some interest in doing some stuff together outside of DC, so I've asked if they want in. This is maybe kinda a hare-brained scheme, but I'm itching to play again and this comp thing came out of the blue, so I'm hoping God/Karma/etc. is trying to tell me to get back in the game, at least a little.

One way or another I'ma find some local place to do a recording of some kind for this CD. I'll pay for making the recording as my contribution to the charity, so all the other guys (if they come on board) need to do is learn the material and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like fun brian....if i was still in gainesville i would love to help out....keep us posted on your progress!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

First of all: sweet use of Latin. +1

Second, I've got four words for you: free-form jazz odyssey!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    First of all: sweet use of Latin. +1

Second, I've got four words for you: free-form jazz odyssey!
    Wait, wouldn't that require me actually learning some jazz chords?

The song I'm going to do for the CD is called Labor Day, and it's my first overtly political song that Crash Pad has done. Chorus includes the refrain "Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining." If I quote any more of the lyric I'll no doubt violate our rule about no politics.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a lot of fun. I hope it turns out well. If you need a lead track you can send me the cut and I'll be happy to lay down something for you...free of charge of course since it's for charity .

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    aren't there some jazz power chords? :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks Spud. Live, we've been playing it with no lead. What I'll probably do is have a rhtythm electric track, a rhythm 12-string track, and a "lead" that's not a lead (just some melodic hook) played under throughout.

I'd really like some gang/football chant vocals for the backing on the choruses, I'm sure if I bring enough beer to the studio I'll be able to talk a batch of people into it.

Post Thanks / Like

How about taking a recorder to you kid's school and getting the chorus to do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    How about taking a recorder to you kid's school and getting the chorus to do it?
    Am thinking they may balk at having their kids sing a leftist punk rock workers' anthem with the word "piss" featured prominantly in each chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Am thinking they may balk at having their kids sing a leftist punk rock workers' anthem with the word "piss" featured prominantly in each chorus.
    Then they are certainly being short sighted.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Then they are certainly being short sighted.
    True dat.

Post Thanks / Like

Just emphasize the "free-form" part

Good luck Brian!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Just emphasize the "free-form" part

Good luck Brian!
    Thanks. I heard back from the bassist, and he's not in. Now I have to hear from the drummer. If he's not up for it I will go to plan B and draft the Hotheads' drummer and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, go the acoustic route! Nothing says "worker's anthem" like a lone acoustic, urgent vocals and lyrics with the word "piss" included!

It worked for Tom Morello and his "Nightwatchman" gig...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Some good raw punk sounds beat out of an acoustic sounds great!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds terrific. I can't imagine why your bass player would not want to jump onboard. What could be bad? Make some great music, raise money for a terrific cause.

Hope it all works out. :
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Dude, go the acoustic route! Nothing says "worker's anthem" like a lone acoustic, urgent vocals and lyrics with the word "piss" included!

It worked for Tom Morello and his "Nightwatchman" gig...
    Doing something solo would be a huge step for me though. Although I learmed to play on acoustic and my first "public" performances were in small interdeminational high school youth group (Young Life) meetings, at which I sang (along with everyone else), I've never ever done an acoustic gig. I'm well aware of my limitations as a singer, which is a reason I ended up doing punk rock (although it was mainly because I liked punk rock), and also a reason I developed my somewhat idiosynchratic writing style (I write my songs a capella and then figure them out on guitar later-- the result being I cannot write something I cannot sing, at least to the extent I can sing at all).

I do like the IDEA of me just singing with an acoustic (my 6-string is tinny as hell so I'd use my 12-er), I'm not sure the concept would pan out in real life.