Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Cost of the Other Gas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    INEEL, or now the Idaho Nation Laboratory. It is near Arco, Idaho, and between the Sun Valley area and Idaho Falls and Pocatello, etc. on the eastern side of the state. Basically, it is in the desert and Snake River Plain, south of the central Idaho mountains. Waste was buried years ago during the Cold War. Here is a report that discusses the area: http://academic.emporia.edu/schulmem...20Aquifer.html

The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality recognizes and discusses the situation here. http://www.deq.state.id.us/

Click on the INL oversight link on the left to see the info. There was a big settlement for cleanup between Idaho and the Feds back in about '95 that has been in play ever since.

Here is a newspaper article from Salt Lake City discussing the cleanup; http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,595108902,00.html

Here is info on Hanford, in Washington State. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site#cite_note-44
    It is an even bigger problem.

Basically, none of it indicates that those in charge have cleaned up the old messes, or have fully committed to doing so. Future waste could be handled better I suppose, but the history causes me to question the credibility of promises made.
    Damn....

I'm not sure I caught in those links who's waste it is (just skimmed them) but I'm not sure it's a commercial waste. That is a serious problem and I really hope they can get it figured out fast without anymore negative environmental impact.

What a mess.

We do have to really learn how to properly handle this stuff and it's a shame some of the past mistakes can stay with us for so long.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

This weeks gas report from Northern Ohio - $1.75

Filled up and went out and got kerosene so I could work in the garage to put the plow on the tractor. We have snow heading this way and they were talking 4" to 6" here and a foot up by work (I hope I get this other job so I can stay the hell away from the snow belt).
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Central Vermont - $2.24.
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

It's down to $2.02 at some stations around here.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

$2.29 Concord, NH
    $1.89 Dallas, TX
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

We finally are at 1.99 a gal, other parts of the state are around 1.85.

Post Thanks / Like

are you all ready for this? Saturday a family member filled up for 1,69.9 Sunday I filled up at the same place for 1,49.9 and it is predicted to go lower.almost getting back to the 80's or so it would seem
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

St. Joseph and Kansas City MO, 1.49 a gal.
    Independence, MO, $1.34.............
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    St. Joseph and Kansas City MO, 1.49 a gal.
    Independence, MO, $1.34.............
    Holy crap!!!

The best I've spotted around here is $1.699

If the US and the World is going to hell, it won't cost as much to drive there.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Well, now that gas is at about $1.50 to $1.60 per gallon an article in the local paper noted that sales of pick-ups and SUV are up and fuel efficient car sales are down when compared to May of this year.

Live and Learn - I guess not.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

So has anybody else experienced the "cash only" prices advertised on the signs at their local gas stations? I find this both annoying and incredibly deceptive.

Basically, the way I look at it is that the price should be the price however one is paying for it. I understand that there are "merchant fees" for businesses that accept credit or debit cards, but my answer to that is either don't accept them, or just live with it like anybody else in any other business has to.

Can anyone tell me another industry where there is more than one price depending on the method of payment? I'm not saying there isn't, only that I've not experienced it. I went grocery shopping this morning and wasn't asked how I was paying before I was told the total price. We ordered a pizza last night and weren't asked how we were paying before being given a total. It should be no different for gas stations. I see it as a form of bait and switch.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

We were at $1.39 for a couple of days and now the same stations are at $1.47. Hmmm.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    We were at $1.39 for a couple of days and now the same stations are at $1.47. Hmmm.
    It's strange how that works and I've yet to hear a real defining reason for it.

Example of price change and variance.

for the past two weeks or more the stations in the center of town (usually running a couple cents more than the stations a little further away) were about $1.57 to $1.59, but the stations near work (40 miles north) were at $1.89 to $1.99. A couple of days ago the stations in town jumped up to $1.69, the stations near work went down to $1.63.

The best offer of the price variance that I heard is you are paying the price based on the last time the stations tanks are filled up, combined with what they anticipate they will pay on the next fill up. That is the only reason that seems to have some merit when it comes to the variance in price in the same region.

As for people starting to buy SUV's again, they must have short memories. Understandable if you need one (family size, work...), but other than that, I don't see the need for them today. The only other thing is the possible incentives being offered.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Janus
    Central Vermont - $2.24.
    The above quote is from Nov 24th - it is now the 13th of December and gas is at $1.63 in Central Vermont.

That's a drop of 61 cents in just 20 days or 3 cents a day more or less.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Janus
    The above quote is from Nov 24th - it is now the 13th of December and gas is at $1.63 in Central Vermont.

That's a drop of 61 cents in just 20 days or 3 cents a day more or less.

Gil
    A couple of months ago they (media) was saying it could hit $5.00, the other day they were talking about $1.00 per gallon by early next year. The media and their ability to work up the public.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I paid 1.45 the other night; I think that is about the best it's gotten around here.
    I read the 1.00/gallon article and just shook my head.

Post Thanks / Like

The gas prices my be comming down but the cost of oil is still going up.I run a repair shop and it is 28 bucks for a case of quarts,26 two months before and 24 a few before that.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234