Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NHL Season Kicks Off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHL Season Kicks Off

Post Thanks / Like

Default NHL Season Kicks Off

I got goosebumps watching the Stanley Cup champions banner rising to the rafters in the Joe last night. Too bad the team didn't show up. The most embarrassing moment of the evening was when they were showing the Def Leppard concert between the games. A couple of Wings were there and handed the Stanley Cup to Joe Elliot. He paraded it around a bit and then put it on a stand . . . upside down. Someone rushed over and turned it right side up. Elliot commented "What do we know? We're soccer boys." I'll guarantee you that there were some Wings fans in the audience who were trying to decide if a Detroit jury would convict them for strangling him. My guess would be that it would be considered justifiable homicide.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

What a story there Marnold. I would have bet a million dollars that if the Penguins won that Cup, the whole team would have showed up for the banner rising event.

The Cup should never had be alowed to be desacrated by anybody that does not know what it represents or it's value.

I am ready for the new season. Although a few of the Penguins left the team, I still have faith in the strenth of the remaining players.

Good luck to all teams
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray, welcome back hockey fans. I enjoyed all of our discussions last season and am looking forward to this one.

It should be another interesting season as many quality players are on new teams and several other quality players have retired.

One thing I am exceptionally curious about this season is how Barry Melrose will fare as coach of the Lightning. I live in Tampa, though I am not a fan of the Lightning as they didn't exist until the year I moved here when I was 22 and I have been a hockey fan since I was 7. However, I do follow the Lightning since 90% of their games are televised here. I thought the hiring of Melrose was a HUGE mistake. Firstly, the man has not coached any team, NHL or otherwise, in 13 years. When he was a coach he couldn't win the Cup despite taking a Gretzky-led team to the Finals.

Secondly, I never thought he was all that insightful as an analyst. In fact, I thought his analysis showed that he does not understand the game particularly well. He continually asserted that one star position player could dominate an entire game and/or series. Hockey is not basketball. With the exception of the goalie, no player plays more than half the game and most play much less than that. Sure, there will be nights when Crosby will score 3 or 4 goals, but I doubt Coach Therien thinks that's all the Penguins need to win a Cup. It's what I love about hockey, it requires a full team effort to win a series.

My other issue with the Melrose approach to the Lightning is that they are promoting 18 year-old Steve Stamkos as the star that will be the next Lecavalier and lead the lightning to another cup. They point to his 100+ point season in juniors last year as evidence that he is ready for the NHL. They need look only at their own roster to see where they made this mistake in the past. Once upon a time they drafted a kid named Chris Gratton and put him in the NHL at 18. He scored more points in his last juniors season than Stamkos did. He was not ready for the NHL. It took Gratton many many seasons on at least four teams to become a solid NHL player and even so, he can't be counted on for even 20 goals a season. Even Lecavalier, as good as he is now (and I think he's one of the top 5 players in the league) was not ready at 18. It took Vinny at least 4-5 seasons to get the feel for the NHL game. Now, I am not saying that Stamkos shouldn't play in the NHL at 18. I just think it's ridiculous for Melrose to assert that he will be a star this season.

My personal prediction is that Melrose doesn't finish the season as Lightning coach.

Ok, onto one other thing...

Why the pre-game concerts at all? We don't have to wait long enough for the games to start watching "Hockey Central" with the same lame analysis from Jones and Engblom (who were both much better players than analysts)?

And even if they do have to have pre-game concerts, why Def Leppard? How about a band that's been remotely relevant in the last 20 years.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

The Melrose experiment will be interesting. I don't mind trumpeting Stamkos, especially since the Lightning are going to have more than a few issues this year. Melrose led the Adirondack Red Wings to the Calder Cup championship in 1992 and he led Medicine Hat to a Memorial Cup championship. Then there's the Stanley Cup Finals appearance. Two of the four losses were in overtime. That series had more to do with a kid named Patrick Roy standing on his head than anything else. The Kings only had Gretzky for about 1/2 of the 92-93 season, although he had a very good playoffs.

None of this means much, especially since he had been out of coaching for so long. I think that will be the biggest thing. Can he deal with a modern team in a salary cap world? He would prefer a more rough-and-tumble style of hockey, but the 'Ning aren't that team. I wish him well. I can't imagine he wouldn't at least finish the season barring an absolute disaster.

Re: Leppard They fit the criteria that leagues are looking for for this sort of thing: they are well-known and they are "safe." I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find a band that knows hockey or has Detroit connections. Oh well. The season has started and that's all that matters.

I'm very interesting in trying out the new NHL Gamecenter. There's going to be a free trial this weekend. Now it's all based on Flash so I shouldn't have issues in Linux. The stats and audio are free. If you pay, you can watch up to four games at once. I want to see how the trial goes before I consider forking over any cash.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still waiting to see if they are going to make the net bigger?
    or were they going to make the puck smaller?
    Maybe they can just make the goalies wear blinders for half the game to get the scoring up?
    Sorry for the rant like comments,I'm just sick of hearing from people who mistakenly think that how many goals scored is the only important thing in a NHL game.
    Not to mention how changing the rules in favor of offence makes a complete farce of the record book.
    But hey whatever, Go Habs Go!
    Guitars: Vox standard model 24,Framus jumbo acoustic,
    Crafter Telecaster copy,Crafter D-7 acoustic,
    Samick les paul copy.
    Dillion SG
    Amps: Behringer GMX1200H, Epiphone valve jr.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a hockey fan, but rather than kick off, isn't it puck off?

Sorry Rev.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The trophy is just a symbol. So what if Joe put it upside down? He didn't do it deliberately.

Should be fun to watch some hockey again though!

Keep an eye on Victor Hedman.
    1. Victor Hedman, D – Modo (Swe): Everyone’s favorite No. 1A draft choice is already playing major minutes in the Swedish Elite League and chipping in points at the same time. The mammoth defenseman – 6-foot-7, 220-pounds - has charted five points (all assists) in eight games to lead all junior-aged players in the big league.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold - I agree with you that Roy was the single biggest factor in that 93 final series. Of all of his Cup heroics, I think only 1986 was a better display than 1993, and he was only 20 for that one! Despite being a Flyers fan, I have always been a fan of the game itself, particularly of goaltenders and Roy is my single favorite player of all time. His records may fall (Brodeur can get many of them this season), but there will never be another goalie quite like St. Patrick.

However, back 1993 for a second, I do think that L.A. team was better overall than the Habs that year, and a better coach would have designed a strategy to take advantage of their strengths. Melrose tried to ride #99 all the way to the Cup. As the series went on, Montreal shut down Gretzky. If memory serves me correctly, didn't they hold him to zero shots in Game 5 (the deciding game)? It's where I first developed my theory that Melrose believes a single star is all it takes, a theory that his career as an analyst bore out.

As for Stamkos, I don't really mind that they are talking about the kid, he was the #1 pick afterall, but I think they are walking a fine line of putting too much pressure on an 18 year old. The team will be lucky to not finish dead last again this year.

Mechanic - I couldn't agree with you more. I am not a fan of the recent moves to add scoring to hockey. The casual fan may not understand anything beyond "goal=good" but I have seen 1-0 games that were a LOT more exciting than 5-4 games. It should be as difficult as possible to score so it has that much more meaning when it does happen. I feel the same way about all sports; well-played defense is exciting to me.

Robert - that particular trophy is much more than just a symbol, at least to the guys who have raised it in victory. When I got to see it in person (at the expo prior to the all-star game in tampa) I stood there in absolute awe of the thing. It has an aura about it. It IS the Holy Grail.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, not being a hockey fan, I can relate and understand the scoring issue. I love a 1-0 baseball game. It's not how much was scored, it's what was done to prevent the scoring.

I'm sure that applies to hockey.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Despite being a Flyers fan, I have always been a fan of the game itself, particularly of goaltenders and Roy is my single favorite player of all time. His records may fall (Brodeur can get many of them this season), but there will never be another goalie quite like St. Patrick.
    As a Red Wings fan I loathe Roy and will forever rejoice in his "Statue of Liberty" play in the 2002 Western Conference finals, to say nothing of his bouts with Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood. Having said that, he's one of those guys that you have to have grudging respect for. He is very likely the best goalie I will ever see with my own eyes. Terry Sawchuk died when I was very young and his glory days were before my time.

Robert - that particular trophy is much more than just a symbol, at least to the guys who have raised it in victory. When I got to see it in person (at the expo prior to the all-star game in tampa) I stood there in absolute awe of the thing. It has an aura about it. It IS the Holy Grail.
    Agree 10,000%. I'm actually surprised that I haven't heard a lot more about this. Except I did hear it referred to jokingly as in "There goes that NHL again; they can't do anything right."

I also agree with the rest of you about a 1-0 game. The only thing that I'm glad they addressed is the size of some of the goalie equipment. We don't need Garth Snow looking like the Michelin Man. I do like some of the other recent tweaks like the removal of the red line for anything but icing and bringing back the offsides touch-up. I don't think the goals themselves need to be touched.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the better part of the Montreal-Buffalo tilt on NHL Gamecenter tonight. It works quite well, although the real-time stats often aren't particularly real-time. The picture at 1200K is pretty nice. It gets a bit weird when the puck travels long distances across the ice which is to be expected. I had four games on at a time at one point and it was surprisingly useful. I'd probably subscribe right now if it weren't so expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bye Bye Barry Melrose

My personal prediction is that Melrose doesn't finish the season as Lightning coach.
    It didn't take very long for me to be right about that one. It happened even quicker than I thought it would.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...e-melrose.aspx

I have watched about 90% of the Lightning's games so far this season and I will tell you this, it still took too long. The hire itself was a bad move and watching these games showed me that he is not an NHL quality coach. He's on tv now *****ing about how the players didn't do what he asked for a full 60 minutes every night but that only signals to me that he lacks motivational skills.

My only hope now is that he doesn't return to ESPN as an analyst. I don't think he was all that insightful in that role either. He's obviously a charismatic and fun guy, but those are the skills of a good buddy, not a color commentator.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a redneck Southern boy, I'm not much of a hockey fan. I always liked what Rodney Dangerfield said about hockey:

"I'm telling ya, hockey's a tough sport. I went to boxing match the other night and a hockey game broke out."

Post Thanks / Like

Melrose simultaneously got a great opportunity and a raw deal in Tampa. You can't can a new coach after 16 games, especially not with all the personnel changes that they made in the off-season (some of which even made sense). Did they really think that this team was playoffs-bound? Add to that the rumors of ownership drawing up special teams plays and players griping to the owners to get the practice schedule changed, this franchise is becoming the gold standard for dysfunction. Best of luck to "Snake eyes" Toccet. He's going to need it.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am enjoying Hockey again this year. After a good Hockey game, the other sports just seem to move in slow motion. Baseball has become very boring, except when we go to a game and drink a few beers and eat the junk food. Football never was a game I liked.

My team is second for the Eastern Divison. I was a little worried when we lost some of our better players at the end of last season. But the team is doing well with the new line up.

I love it when the games go into overtime, followed by the shoot out.

It really "pumps me up!"

Best of luck to all teams

GO PENS !!!
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Melrose simultaneously got a great opportunity and a raw deal in Tampa. You can't can a new coach after 16 games, especially not with all the personnel changes that they made in the off-season (some of which even made sense). Did they really think that this team was playoffs-bound? Add to that the rumors of ownership drawing up special teams plays and players griping to the owners to get the practice schedule changed, this franchise is becoming the gold standard for dysfunction. Best of luck to "Snake eyes" Toccet. He's going to need it.
    It would seem from the comments of the Lightning GM that it had nothing to do with wins and losses, it was more that they could tell after 16 games that Melrose could not motivate his players and simply viewed the overall approach to the game differently than management. Right or wrong, I think that is something they could have figured out prior to the season. Like I said then, it was already clear to me then that the modern game had passed Melrose by. I don't know why management couldn't see it then as well.

I do agree with you Marnold that the Lightning organization is fundamentally flawed, though I think ultimately they will be better off without Melrose than they'd have been with him. However, I must say, as long as they play in the division in which they play, there is no reason to discount the playoffs in any season. That is a terrible division that anyone should be able to win.

As for Tocchet, I think he should have gotten the axe as well. I loved Rick Tocchet as a player, but I am very firmly against allowing convicted gamblers to coach teams. I know they are two different sports, but I find it disgusting that Pete Rose remains banned from baseball (especially the Hall of Fame) yet Tocchet can coach in the NHL. Both gambled on their respective sports when they were coaches. It's the same offense. Even if the NHL doesn't ban Tocchet, I think it's a bad message for an organization to hire him. I am not against gambling at all. I am against there being even the slightest hint of impropriety in sports. I think both gambling and sports can co-exist without convicted criminals being coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold

Ok I've been playing hockey since I was 4 or 5 and I'm 41 now and coach my sons AAA team. I just got home from Sarnia after spending my weekend teaching an advanced coaching lesson to other AAA,AA,A coaches....so I guess I'm qualified after 20years of coaching to comment....not that I'm always right but the effort is always there...that's what I tell any kid I coach lol...including a few already and past NHL players I've had the pleasure to teach over the years.

On the coaching end of things I never watch a Pro hockey game...NHL,OHL,AHL,..etc. and comment on the coach. And this is the reason:
    1. Its an involved game that without knowing what goes on at a practice leaves me with questions I'll never answer by watching a game on TV.
    2. If you have ever played the game you should already know your own answers...its only your opinion anyways.
    3. If you have ever coached you should already know what I'm talking about I either am playing hockey or coaching it Im always at the rink on a Saturday night...sorry no ESPN in sight...unless the rink has a bar..(rare)..LOL

On the player side of things I will comment because I am a coach that knows what positives they have...I don't discuss negatives cause all players have them. and thats the point...but yes Robert, Victor Hedman is a player to watch...his progression has been very good up to his point...stick handling down low is his stongest asset. There have been alot of good players that always come through the system and for either one reason or another they excell or they don't...and not always their missguided effort.

I grew up as a kid idolizing the LEAFS..ya go leafs go...blah,blah...and yes it has been a little trying at times to understand how fans pay money to buy a seat at the ACC but its not the public's fault. They have been hit by propaganda from MLSE for years, and only after great pressure from within the hockey community have they had to change the guards. Take a look at them this season they have no high price talent and they challenge and beat teams they shouldn't be able to...why? Coaching(Ron Wilson) and player development. Thats why Detroit is the powerhouse they are it comes from developing the young talent and that gives you depth. On the subject of icing if you ask all professional hockey players or even Bantam or Midget players they want to see No Touch Icing....I doo. Too many good hockey players have been injured chasing an icing call...you want to fight a 225 pound player down the ice at lightspeed just to get a faceoff, if you had to ever do it you'd know your answer. Hockey should not be judged from watching the game on television...the camera only shows the current play on the ice and not the entire perspective of the game...only fans that attend get that and barely. You really can only understand the game if you play it or coach it from ice level..but you can always enjoy the game from t.v. or the stands. On the subject of Tampa keep this in mind they did manage to get a cup in less than 40years whatever your oppinion is on that organization they still got the job done ask a Leafs fan if they would trade places with you guys...remember that. I had to inject in this conversation because of course it is hockey and I never avoid a hockey thread. Please understand I'm never gonna tell you your wrong on an issue cause its an oppinion we are talking about in the first place....aren't we?....gotta go I have practice at midnight...LOL....and ya that me in the pics from the adult league I play in...and thats contact hockey with ex pro's we got 4 ex AHL and 2 Ex NHL on our team...trust me it ain't easy to play at this level
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I too am enjoying Hockey again this year. After a good Hockey game, the other sports just seem to move in slow motion. Baseball has become very boring, except when we go to a game and drink a few beers and eat the junk food. Football never was a game I liked.

My team is second for the Eastern Divison. I was a little worried when we lost some of our better players at the end of last season. But the team is doing well with the new line up.

I love it when the games go into overtime, followed by the shoot out.

It really "pumps me up!"

Best of luck to all teams

GO PENS !!!
    Yes Tim you really should take in a Penquins game when you can that team is full of talent...and not just Crosby. If you get tickets to go and have a choice of where to sit..(that doesn't happen for Leaf fans 90% of tickets are season tickets)...anyways if you want the best perspective of how fast and how skilled NHL hockey is sit around the glass or if not then move to the top of the lowest section so you can see over the glass. The arena's since they are so large have lighting issues if you are seated below the glass line unless you sit in the first row. Now more than likely since the Pens are doing well you will probably have to sit much higher but if you check stadium seating there might be a couple of seats up for grabs in those forementioned sections. Sitting down close to the ice will show you how fast this game really moves at Pro level. You can also take in an AHL hockey game or College hockey game those boys usualy are next in succession to get drafted so the hockey is darn good at that level....actualy they have even more intense games they haven't made millions of dollars and are hungry to get it.
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Evidently Barry wasn't the only problem for the 'Ning. They were 5-7-4 when he was canned. They've gone 1-6-4 since. Ouch. According to Bucci's column on ESPN, they've got 12 of their next 16 on the road. Bloodbath.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast