Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Fear of Recording and Posting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fear of Recording and Posting

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Fear of Recording and Posting

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Strummy, you should go ahead and post a clip sometime. (Please view as encouragement, not pressure). No one here will bite. You should go back and listen to the first crappy clips I posted. It is all for the sharing and learning. It is not like I am going to sound like Swede, Robert, Spud or a bunch of the other talented folks here. But they do give me some help when I do post. It is fun!
    Okay SVL, the time is getting near. Ron sent me the USB cable (arriving early next week), I will be able to use the RP350 and the JAMMAN to their full potential (or at least to my limited capability). We'll see how that pans out.

Pressure, what pressure?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey that is great Strum. Go for it and have fun! And try not to worry about having that "perfect" take. I haven't recorded one yet. In fact, I haven't recorded anything in a while. I am going out of town next weekend and after I am back, I will have to get on it. It would be great to get a few collabs going again.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Strum,

That sounds like a great idea. I'll be very interested to hear what you come up with. If I had the cash to spare, I'd pick up one of those RP350s in a heartbeat. I like the idea of having a bunch of amp models and FX in one unit with the capability of plugging it into a USB port on a computer.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Okay SVL, the time is getting near. Ron sent me the USB cable (arriving early next week), I will be able to use the RP350 and the JAMMAN to their full potential (or at least to my limited capability). We'll see how that pans out.

Pressure, what pressure?
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Fear of what?
    Isn't there's enough REAL fear in the world without adding perceived fear into the mix... your fears will someday be the end of you dude!
    What's the worst that could happen?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Fear of what?
    Isn't there's enough REAL fear in the world without adding perceived fear into the mix... your fears will someday be the end of you dude!
    What's the worst that could happen?

You know, you told me a simple thing "stop looking at your fret hand" and it was that one little thing that made learning more enjoyable and something I will remember as long as I play. Along with "Playing the guitar is not a visual art, it's an audio art - feel the music" - or something along those lines.

So this latest simple comment I will take to heart.

If my playing sucks, it won't suck any less or more if I record.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Here's more:

Regardless of who you are, your level of experience, or how much you think you might suck... NOBODY can play like YOU! Your playing is unique... and that's what makes it an art and not a logical exercise.

Why sound like Clapton... the world already has one of those.

Why work so hard at trying to sound like SRV or Hendrix or whoever else... already been done... by SRV and Hendrix and whoever else!

Wouldn't it be easier for you to play like Strum? You already know how!

Embrace your own muse... don't waste your time coveting other's.

Post Thanks / Like

I like those, they ring true. I think I will have a sign made to hang in the room as a reminder. Maybe commission Pike to make me a nice sign.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Strum,,,

I have no idea of your expertise, except to remember the names of tunes that you are currently playing. I get the feel that you have taken a lesson or two and are sometimes working on scales. If you are using the backing track approach, you are already playing along with rhythms and other instruments.

In no way am I suggesting that recording your own stuff will make you a better player. What it may do is get you a little excited about an aspect or two of your playing. It happened that way for me. And keep the early stuff around so you can have an audio photo album of yourself.

If I remember correctly, neither one of us picked up guitars to become famous...

Good luck,,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

an "Audio photo album" I like that a lot.

I've never been good, but I've always been recording myself. By myself, with BT's and with mates and I agree that listening to my Tapes/MD's and MP3's (ok so there's a technology evolution issue) is exactly like looking at old photo's. It's great!

So, Don't record yourself for us, do it for yourself. You'll be glad you did.

As an aside, when I bought my minidisc many years ago, I also bought a powered stereo lapel mic that ended up being awesome for bootlegging gigs. I'd clip the mic to my bag (I'm a photographer so I always have some kind of bag) and hit record at the start of the set (I could record about 2 hours i think in LP mode). I had many a laugh at myself listening to the playback as I ordered drinks, chatted to people, cheered the band and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I would respectfully like to disagree with the gentleman from Florida. I do suggest that recording will probably make you a better player. Providing that you liten to what you have recorded and find the energy to analyze what you played and maybe how you can improve.

This is what I was told once and I am now recording as often as I can and I enjoy every minute of it and my friends tell me that all my playing skills have improved. As well as my recording skills.

But as someone else wrote, record for yourself. Because you think it's fun. But do try.

Cheers,

Mats N
    All my backing tracks can be found at:
    BT King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mats N
    But as someone else wrote, record for yourself.
    (...also a gentleman... also from Florida!)

Post Thanks / Like

Strum, remember this...

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

It's all you need to know about recording and playing. It's all beneficial to your development. Don't think twice about what anybody else may think about it. It's what you get out of it that matters.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, recording does a lot to benefiting your playing, I concur.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

#6 and #12 is great advice. I now live by #6 and pass the word along to others.

Hmm, both from Florida. Must be something in the water.

Speaking of Florida, my daughter is down in Orlando and will be marching at Disney World tomorrow. She arrived yesterday and called last night to tell us she already has tan lines. I just hope she doesn't turn red like thearabianmage.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Strum,
    I'd say to anyone that wants to record, do it.
    If you want to post it, fine. You won't find many critics here. If you prefer to do it for yourself, that's OK too. I know it's helped me learn, I've posted some things that were pretty awful, but I don't know any better, I guess.
    I usually just throw something together w/ a backing track and go. It does allow you to go back and track your progress.
    And as Rocket said, you're you, play like you, and enjoy it. (Well, Rocket didn't actually say that, I read something into it.) I do think it will help you learn more, though.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

ey just, some little time ago, there was a fest in an "non judgamental" environment and (with mark) that was a good thing... I have take the point... and say why not... I cant play really something I have in mind... but I have done at less a first step http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7479761 like you see, barely some seconds... haha... that is what is now... hope I can develop more my musicall skills and been able to do more, and give a second try and continue on an on.

So that is, we can do what we have in our hands.
    Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Junior.
    Use tuxguitar (I use it on Linux Ubuntu).
    "Bad tends to be cummulative... weak guitarist + cheap guitar + tune wrong + lousy amp = bad experience for all!. But good things are also cummulative."
    "Sometimes the simple things can make a big difference."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    And as Rocket said, you're you, play like you, and enjoy it. (Well, Rocket didn't actually say that, I read something into it.)
    That's what I said!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Strum,,

The Sons of Champlin said it pretty good. "If your insides are on your outsides,,,,there's no pain".

I take that to mean, the art of sharing everything, even the bad things, that we all have tucked away. Once it is out there,,,,it cannot do any damage at all.

I feel like a dork, pointing out, that I posted a link to the tune. But, I also knew you had heard the second album and this tune came off of the first. Not that anyone is going to learn anything new.....

http://www.box.net/shared/71ljxt7l3s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Strum, remember this...

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

Miles never heard me play...
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast