Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The weekend Thread - Page 10
Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Wait a minute, WHO'S having the LSD flashback???

Heh, heh, Ron, that's the joke. It is a line that Kirk delivers in SanFran in the present day, to explain Spock's behavior, and he messes up the initials.

Not much this weekend. It rained all weekend, and I worked. I did get out for a quick hike with the dog up that Quigley hill I posted pics of last week, and did a little road bicycle ride today during a weather break. Other than that, pretty quiet.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I managed to get out for a hard road ride today too. I think I saw a small twister forming up on a ridge. Just about a mile from the house on my way back it started raining. Overall it was pretty good timing to get in a workout between storms. Unfortunately my bike looks way too messy for my tastes now.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Our family went to Devon for an extreme cross-country running event. See www.5peaks.com

It was a good day, our 15 year old was 3rd in her age category and I was the overall winner. Almost 500 meters elevation gain over 7 kilometres, and we did 2 laps.

Next weekend we are running one of the most amazing relays in the world - the Kananaski 100 Mile Relay.

Today, the local music store had all the music students performing for parents and friends. I had 2 students perform and I backed them up on acoustic. They played awesome! Both are 11 years old, a girl and a boy. The girl did "Oh When The Saints", and performed it flawlessly! She is very talented, musically.

The boy did a tough tune - "Black Magic Woman", but he did great and everyone was mighty impressed. I was too. I was not that good when I was 11, that's for sure!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I managed to get out for a hard road ride today too.. . .

Unfortunately my bike looks way too messy for my tastes now.
    Glad you got out there. Mine was not that long, but a good series of hill repeats, and I was strong and attacked well. I chose when I stood up, and stayed on top of the pedal stroke pretty well. Re: the bike messiness, I just don't care that much if there is dirt on my bike, but you know that.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    We have been home all weekend.The wife had 15 teeth pulled on Friday evening.She looks like a battered wife- bruised and swollen. It has just been giving me a chance to catch up on some needed practice and play nurse for her. We are having severe storms tonight and power problems are all around at this time. I may have to head out to work if things get much worse.

Hope everyone else has had a good weekend.
    Yikes. Hope she's better soon.

Saturday I had a craigslist buyer flake on me in the morning so we decided to go to the beach. By the time we got all the stuff packed and a friend per kid rounded up, it was 2 pm by the time we made it to Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine. Just as we got out the beach, the lifeguard announced that lightning had been spotted "in the area" and "suggested" that everyone exit the water, then abandoned her post to clear the beach. We let the kids swim until we actually saw some lightning, about an hour later, then headed for the van. Just as we got to the parking lot the rain came down in sheets and we had quite a storm. Drove in rain most of the way back to Gainesville.

Sunday morning we wnet to church, it was the end of VBS week so we had a lot of non-members there. The church really blew it by not having more contemporary music in the service. Sigh.

Back home I mowed the front yard, and for dinner we barbecued some burgers on the grill out back. Did some work over the weekend, but not enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Saturday I went into church and set up a 1x15 cab that I'm just going to leave there 24/7. Used the 15 so I could play either bass or guitar through it. Ran over the 3 songs we were going to do on Sunday and left all my gear there. For the summer at least I'm going to play every Sunday I'm in town, yay! The band director also wants me to play bass for him in his side band. I've never worked with just a keyboard before, should be interesting.

After returning home I mowed the lawn, after retrieving my gas can from the neighbor who borrowed it (with just enough in it to do the front yard). My son had a couple friends over and they made a "war movie" with a little video camera we have. They wanted me to be in it too since there was just the 3 of them, so I insisted on getting shot right quick because it was awful hot out and after mowing I was beat.

Sunday morning I had to go in to church early to run the songs with the band director and flautist, who hadn't been able to come out the day before. The band director decided in future at least for the summer to just scrub Saturdays and go on just a pre-service practice, which is fine by me. Played my Gretsch Special Jet on the first 2 songs and my Danelectro Hodad on the final one, which I had some short solos in, with a longer one as the outro.

While I was at church my wife told me that someone had run over our neighbors big brick mailbox post thingy and had driven away leaving the car bumper in the yard! When we got home some people were out talking to our neighbor, don't know yet but it seems like their teenager may've gone on quite the joyride. I was lucky my van wasn't hit as I had had to park it on the street the night before, when my son's friend's mom came to pick up her son and her car was in the driveway. Later the highway patrol was there too. Crazy.

After I got home I watched the USA beat Egypt in the Confederations Cup, followed by the replay of the Brasil-Italy game. The USA started the day at the bottom of their group, but by beating Egypt 3-0, and Brasil beating Italy 3-0 also, the USA got to second place in their group, and earned a spot in the semi-finals! I'll leave work early on Wednesday for that-- USA vs. Spain, current #1 in the world. That'll be tough.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and Father's Day. Let's hear about 'em!
    Last edited by Brian Krashpad; June 22nd, 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The weekend was rainy, again! See spring in Idaho thread for Spud's report. I worked again this weekend, as I am closing in on the end of a special appellate briefing assignment from the State Appellate Public Defender, and I punctuated work with some guitar, (got to play with my boy yesterday : ) a run Sat. and a MTB bike ride Sun. between thunderstorms, and a little yardwork moving some shrubs out of the way of a deck extension that is going in. At least the river bed and rock filled soil was soft for digging! Also watched my middle boy swim in his meet, in the rain. Also, had Father's day breakfast in bed, some handmade cards and gifts (some dough for some more git lessons from my MIL!! : ), and a Guiness with dinner!

My oldest and I had been scheduled for camping with his new Boy Scout troop and a zip line expedition, but with rain, thunder and lightning all weekend, the troop figured it would be better not to be out on a 1700 foot long steel cable in the weather.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    My oldest and I had been scheduled for camping with his new Boy Scout troop and a zip line expedition, but with rain, thunder and lightning all weekend, the troop figured it would be better not to be out on a 1700 foot long steel cable in the weather.
    Those of Jack's troop that didn't go to NC for camping (got back last week) but wanted to camp closer to home (and cheaper) are out at Camp Shands this week, out in the sticks NW of Gainesville. Got a report that it was 112 F down by the lake yesterday. Jack went last year and it was miserable. Won't make that mistake again.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran the Kananaskis K-100, a 100 mile relay in the Canadian Rockies. Fantastic event. There are 10 legs, and I ran the hardest one, leg 5.

Our team ended up 2nd in our category, our best ever performance. I improved my time on leg 5 from 2 years ago - 1:13 this time. Sweet!

Unfortunately, there was a sad incident where a guy in his 30s had a heart attack and didn't make it. Happened right in front of our eyes, and it is so sad.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

We had an unusual weekend. Last week, our youth group went help our former music minister's new church have a "Sports Camp". Their church did this instead of the traditional VBS that most churches around here do. It was a great success with over 200+ attendees each day and 43 professions of faith. But, that's not the unusual part.

The camp ended Friday afternoon and we stayed over until Saturday morning to leave as it was late and we had a 5 hour drive. Well, the transmission on the bus had been acting up and sure enough, when we left on Saturday, the bus had gone about 15 miles and quit. My wife and kids and I were on my daughter's Camry, because I couldn't go to join them until Tuesday because of work issues. We made some calls and the people at the church we had spent all week working at were nice enough to loan us their bus to get the kids home.

The youth minister took the kids and my older daughter and left. We stayed behind to meet the tow truck and make sure the bus was situated and going to be repaired. The truck was SUPPOSED to be there at 9:30, but didn't show up until almost 11 a.m. We followed him to Aamco and left the contact information with them and left around 11:15.

By this point, the bus and kids were 1 1/2 hours ahead of us and had stopped for lunch. We began driving home and before we were 20 miles down the road, the youth minister called and said our preacher and his wife were stranded on the interstate too. I assumed he meant I-75 as that's where the bus was headed down and we were headed toward. I called the preacher and he thought he had it taken care of, so we kept trucking.

About 5 minutes later, the preacher called and he DIDN'T have a ride. We were at I-75 at this time, so I said "no problem, we'll pick you up." When I asked where he was, he said "Hogansville, GA", which is on I-85. They are about an hour ENE of us. So, we stopped, had a bathroom break, re-programmed the GPS and took off across the state of Georgia. We finally got to them about 2 p.m., had some lunch and headed home down I-85, I-185 and Hwy 27. We finally go home about 5 that afternoon.

Here's what our route looked like:

Were we finished? No. After going to church Sunday morning, we loaded up and went back to Macon, GA (3 hour drive) after lunch, spent the night and went to my daughter's orientation at Mercer University. We finally got home about 7 p.m. tonight. I do hope we're through traveling for a while. My butt's getting tire of car seats...
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Wow Robert, great run, too bad about the other runner.

Ronnie Beth, holy cow, that's a lot of driving!

My wife drove my son up halfway to the inlaws up I-75 yesterday and my mother-in-law came down halfway to meet them. He'll be hanging out with them for a few days this week up near Peachtree City/Fayetteville.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Wow Robert, great run, too bad about the other runner.

Ronnie Beth, holy cow, that's a lot of driving!

My wife drove my son up halfway to the inlaws up I-75 yesterday and my mother-in-law came down halfway to meet them. He'll be hanging out with them for a few days this week up near Peachtree City/Fayetteville.
    We flew right by Peachtree City on the "Stay and See Georgia Quest". Even halfway from where you live is a loooong way. I'm about driven out...
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    We flew right by Peachtree City on the "Stay and See Georgia Quest". Even halfway from where you live is a loooong way. I'm about driven out...
    I bet you are. But halfway to my inlaws from Gainesville FL is only 2 hours 15 minutes, total 5.5 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Derek's First Boy Scout over night - Zipline Idaho

This weekend was the re-scheduled trip from last weekend, where we went camping with Derek's new Boy Scout Troop. We left yesterday morning early, went to Stanley Lake area and did a 7 mile hike out to Bridal Veil falls and back, then on to camp in Garden Valley, where we took over a sand bar island in the middle fork Payette river, and did Scout camping things like tell dumb jokes, make s'mores and such.

Then today, we went to Idaho Zipline, and went ziplining. Easier to show pics than explain so here is a link to Derek's pics. (he went first of all the scouts, though being the youngest and lightest by far.)

http://gallery.me.com/sunvalleylaw#1...or=black&sel=3

I zipped too, and it is very fun! The last run is a dual, where you can race. I kicked the other dad's butt in my race!

Here is a link to some vid from Idaho Zip line if you want to check it out. http://www.zipidaho.com/video

Very fun weekend for Derek and me!

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a really good time SVL! So, did you kick his butt by beating him or did you literally kick his butt?

Had a good day today. Friday was work, after hours computer work. Saturday was grass cutting and more computer work. Today was better.

We got a little earlier and go to church early, because it was our turn to do breakfast for our Sunday School class. Then we left church early because it was Miller Family Reunion time. Ran up there, ate WAY too much and headed home. Had about an hour or so to unwind/rewind and back to church at 3:30 to set up for our newly formed Adult Praise Band. Practiced 4-5, had Youth Praise band practice, then church at 6.

Don't want to brag or sound conceited, but we really rocked it! It was our first performance and we went over like a bang! We'll be playing every Sunday morning in July and, hopefully, we'll get more opportunities on an on-going basis. We've got 2 really good keyboard players, a good drummer, bass player and me (holding my own) and 8 good singers (plus one of the keyboarders sing too). It was our maiden performance and we're still working on tweaking our sound system, but overall it went really well.

We're excited and looking forward to Sunday morning! Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers! Afterward, a bunch of us hit Pizza Hut and sat around talking for a couple of hours. Overall, a really good day! :
    Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL! Carl is a nice guy, I wouldn't literally kick his butt. Sounds like you had a great successful one too! I am a bit envious you have found a regular group. But glad for you!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like fun. Glad the weather was nice for you guys too.
    I guess I'll have to start calling you "Zippy" from now on.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Great pics Steve! That's some serious ziplining! Our scout troop has made just real little ziplines themselves, the kind where you climb a laddder and then go 30 or 40 feet.

Ronnie, that's great to hear about your band. Prayers and good wishes for your musical ministry! I have some news in that area as well, but I'll go chronolgically.

Friday night my daughter had dinner with her boyfriend and his dad. I had to drive her over to the restaurant. Then she called when I needed to go pick them up, but when I got there, they weren't there! Grr. I was driving the Mommobile since my wife had borrowed the van to go up to ATL, and since she recently had it cleaned there wasn't a cent in change in it to make a pay phone call to my daughter's cell. Tried to make a collect call but for some reason that doesn't work with our cells. So I figured maybe her boyfriend's dad had driven them back to our house, and I somehow misunderstood her call, or they changed their plans. So I drive all the way home. No one there. I call her cell, they had gone into the hobby store next to the restaurant! Grr.

So I drive all the way BACK to the restaurant and pick her up. "Dad, can Moose [yes, her boyfriend is "Moose"] come over to the house for awhile?" So Moose comes over and they watch a movie while I watch a different one ("Snatch") on the set in another room. Then another round trip to take Moose home.

Whew!

Saturday morning we bug-bombed the house since the other half of the family was up in ATL. My daughter, I, and the devil dog went over to my office for the morning to wait out the fumigation. Left those 2 there while I went to church band practice. After practice I played some of our music director's original music with him, since he wants me to play bass in his band when he finds a drummer. I'm not sure he'll like my style of bass though, as I play real simple and I think he may want fancier. We'll see.

Went back home and opened up Casa Krashpad to get all the fumes out, no further doings of note on Saturday.

Sunday morning I played guitar in church. We did 3 songs, and talked a drummer who was originally only going to play one pre-service song into playing on 2 of ours.

One song I basically solo'd all the way through (we had an acoustic guitar for rhythm, plus piano and drums). It's the first time I've come close to really cutting loose in that church so I was a bit nervous. The song wasn't really a rocker but more one of those "slow burn" type deals where I laid off a bit, playing clean and working off the melody, in the verses, and busting loose with some gain and more free-form rocking in the choruses. I played it better in the pre-service warmup, but at any rate 4 or 5 people from the congregation thanked me after the service, so I guess it went over OK.

Plus, I found out that in the Fall when we do football parking at our church (fundraiser for our youth group made possible because our church is a few blocks from Florida Field at UF) I'll probably be playing on home game day Saturdays as well. That will be especially cool because my daughter will be playing bass. Plus, the people who park in our lot aren't necessarily our congregants (although many are), so it'll be nice to do some musical outreach and not just "preach to the choir."

Sunday afternoon I really enjoyed the first half of the USA-Brasil football match, only to have Brasil come from behind to win. Big downer. Sunday night I went over to the office for band practice but nobody showed, and I was too tired to start calling people and trying to track them down. At least when I got home Mrs. K and el Krashpadito were back from ATL safe and sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a typical busy weekend at my house. Good luck on the home games gigs, Big B! We tried to do a "5th Quarter" type thing on Friday nights at our church a couple of years ago, but it was too hard to do with not enough help. Sounds like yours will be fun though!
    Ronnie

Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast