Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Requires pics for win.
    If I could take pictures while I was playing all your jaws would drop.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    If I could take pictures while I was playing all your jaws would drop.
    If this isn't referring to the strip club gigs, uh, there's often a second or two between songs where you could snap a quick photo. Or during a break, or before you go on...

Just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like

Or get the vocalist to do it.. or the bass player.. they usually aren't doing much anyways.

:-D
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

If this isn't referring to the strip club gigs, uh, there's often a second or two between songs where you could snap a quick photo. Or during a break, or before you go on...

Just sayin.

...but all the juicy stuff is happening during the song.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, fortunately crocodilians have short little T-Rex type limbs and can't climb up those poles.

There are both alligators and American crocodiles in Florida, but crocs are limited to south Florida.

Gators, on the other hand, are everywhere down heah, not only in Florida but up in south Georgia and the coastal areas of the Carolinas easterly of Florida, and all along the Gulf Coast states (usually the gulfward southern half, although almost to the northern border of Louisiana) to our west, over to Texas (where they are limited more to coastal areas).
    It's not just the alligators that the tots have to worry about anymore, it's the pythons and now even anacondas. Between the irresponsible "pet" owners who either let them go or had them get away, to hurricane Andrew that destroyed homes and buildings where they were kept, it's a very serious problem now. It's estimated that there are as many as 100,000 pythons lose in the wild now, mostly in the Everglades but even as far north as where I live and beyond (draw a line across Florida at the top edge of Lake Okeechobee, from that line south).

The pythons are more a problem for pets and really small children, but anacondas? Who knows at this point. It depends on how many and how big they get.

It's estimated that these snakes could eventually spread throughout the southeast and westward across the southern US.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

err, great.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    It's estimated that these snakes could eventually spread throughout the southeast and westward across the southern US.
    I see a new source of guitar straps. Ever the optimist I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a big event here this past weekend.

My niece got married on Saturday, first child on my side of the family between myself and my siblings. Without a long dissertation on what's wrong with my sister (my niece's mother), suffice it to say that she didn't want to have anything to do with planning her own daughter's wedding, and by avoiding it, having to pay for it.

For the last ten years my wife and I have become more like my niece's parents than her own mother (and divorced father) have been. So, we planned and paid for the wedding. To see my wife and niece planning this event for the last year you'd have thought they were mother and daughter as everyone else did wherever they went to arrange everything. And, we were more than happy to do this for her. She's a brilliant kid who went through her Masters Degree on full scholarship, and she married a guy who's just finishing up his PHD (also on full scholarship). I know she's my niece, but she is as fine a young woman as God has ever created (and her new husband is her equal).

Friday was ladies day as my wife took all of the women to the beauty salon to have their hair and nails done, and then it was off to the wedding rehersal, and finally that night to the rehersal dinner we planned at a small club that we joined specifically for this event and several others we had planned for the year. The groom's parents, unlike my sister, lived up to their end of the wedding responsibilities paying for the rehersal dinner as is customary.

On Saturday they had a small, wonderful mid day wedding with about 70 people in attendance at a local country club. We had a string quartet, a DJ, dinner and dancing and of course, a lot of drinking. After the reception was over we had an after the reception party planned at the hotel where all the out of town guests were staying. The day's festivities started at 12:00 noon and went to about 12:00 midnight that evening.

It was a fantastic weekend....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I see a new source of guitar straps. Ever the optimist I am.
    Hmmmmm.....

Good thinking Spud! You can be the distributor for the northwest...

Post Thanks / Like

Bloozcat, that sounds like a great weekend indeed! Outstanding.

And good onya for you and the missus backing up that chile when her own parents wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

You people with your "weekends off," your guitar playing, and your Werther's Originals.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    You people with your "weekends off," your guitar playing, and your Werther's Originals.
    Qu'est-ce que c'est, Mathieu?

Post Thanks / Like

Qu'est-ce que c'est, Mathieu?
    It's me being goofy. For obvious reasons I don't get weekends off and therefore have no interesting weekend stories. The "Werther's Originals" crack is a very obscure Family Guy reference. It's usually at the end of a statement like, "These young people with their fast cars, cool haircuts, and Werther's Originals." Actually today (Tuesday) is my day off, or at least I try to take it, but I think I would be the only contributor to "The Tuesday Thread."

Today I played some NWN2, watched the new Spongebob with my daughter, and worked on the solo to "Breaking the Chains." Now my fingers hurt. Not a terribly complicated solo, but lots of bending, requiring lots of accuracy (and finger strength). Tonight I'll watch the Sharks v. Wild on Versus. Now just try to tell me that I don't know how to party!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Bloozcat, that sounds like a great weekend indeed! Outstanding.

And good onya for you and the missus backing up that chile when her own parents wouldn't.
    Thanks Brian.

We love her, so we did what was right for her. It wasn't about us, it was about creating happy memories that she'll have for the rest of her life.

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz gets the award for last weekend.

I'm jumping the gun a little, but my weekend started a couple days ago...

Tonight I'm helping out with a benefit "concert", if you could call it that.. some local musicians are getting together to help finance a local tech school's video program... initially I was going to play with the bluesband, but since we're lacking a bass player, no such luck. Hoping I might find one while I'm there.

Instead, I'm gonna go through my acoustic set... good practice for playing and singing. I don't cover the "usual" songs... more like some of my "guilty pleasure" stuff. I totally do it for *me*. :-)

Tomorrow, another blues jam sans bass player. Kind of sad. I know 4 "unemployed" bassists up here, but none of them are willing to commit, even just to a jam. Not sure if I should be taking that personally or not, but there you have it. :-)

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying my unexpected day off from classes and really looking forward to some Smithwick's tonight.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, marnold, if you're like most preachers, you only work 2 days a week!!!

I know that's true, just yanking your chain a little. Blooz, good on you for taking care of your niece. That's something she will always remember and cherish - the fact that you guys were there for her.

Today, we're driving to dinner honoring the son of my best friend and his fiance. They're getting married this fall and we're invited to this dinner. They are a fine young couple and are looking forward to a great life together. It's nice to see the joy they share. Helps me remember how we were 23+ years ago...

Have a great weekend guys and gals!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Gosh, marnold, if you're like most preachers, you only work 2 days a week!!!

I know that's true, just yanking your chain a little.
    Hehe. Although I assume you intended to have a "not" before the "true." I do know of one guy who showed up to a voters meeting (thankfully, not at my congregation) livid that the congregation was planning to give the pastor a meager raise. He really believed that pastors only worked one hour a week. When pressed about how long he thought it took to prepare a sermon, he guessed an hour. More like 10-20, but thanks for playing our game. At least you gave me credit for two days!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

It's me being goofy. For obvious reasons I don't get weekends off and therefore have no interesting weekend stories. The "Werther's Originals" crack is a very obscure Family Guy reference. It's usually at the end of a statement like, "These young people with their fast cars, cool haircuts, and Werther's Originals." Actually today (Tuesday) is my day off, or at least I try to take it, but I think I would be the only contributor to "The Tuesday Thread."

Today I played some NWN2, watched the new Spongebob with my daughter, and worked on the solo to "Breaking the Chains." Now my fingers hurt. Not a terribly complicated solo, but lots of bending, requiring lots of accuracy (and finger strength). Tonight I'll watch the Sharks v. Wild on Versus. Now just try to tell me that I don't know how to party!
    Dude, you should totally post your weekends.

With all the headaches pastors have, it'll make us all feel even better about our weekends.

It would be the Christian thing to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, you should totally post your weekends.

With all the headaches pastors have, it'll make us all feel even better about our weekends.

It would be the Christian thing to do!

I don't know, as Minister of Metal he might need to keep a few things on the dow-low so as to not shock the flock! :-)

Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast