Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The weekend Thread - Page 37
Page 37 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Oh man, is that Memphis barbeque? All of the sudden I'm extraordinarily hungry.
    considered multi-regional according to the owners....

http://4rbbq.com
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Those pics are cool Double Double-u!

G50, that sounds like a lonng drive. Was the 6 hours round trip?

Monday we went to the beach at Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine. Was less than religious re application of sunscreen. Paying price today.

On the upside, built best sand castle on the beach at Anastasia State Park. Seaward outer single-line moat, followed by a 4-sided outer wall with 8 towers (on corners and at midpoints of each wall, followed by interior surround moat, followed by interior wall with towers at 4 corners. Inside interior wall was a keep consisting of a lower level comprised of 4 towers built together with spaces filled in, with a second tower atop the lower level. Outside wall probably about 6x6, inside wall probably about 3x3.

Post Thanks / Like

Friday night was the last night of VBS (yay...). The theme was "western/cowboy" and we all had fun wearing our cowboy hats. Yesterday was a lazy day and last night was "date night" for me and my better half. Had a really good evening...

This morning, we're not playing because the kids from VBS are doing their songs/dances. Tonight we're having our closing session at a member's barn. We're having a "rodeo". LOL. The guy has a really nice metal barn (HUGE!). There's going to be a "real" cowboy from Montana, who is a story teller plus there will be a guy doing rope tricks. The adult praise is going to play a few songs as well. I'll be playing our cowboy version of Amazing Grace (sung to the tune of "Ghost Riders in the Sky"). They're also having barbecue beef brisket and all the trimmings. Gonna have a good time tonight!

Hope you all are having a good weekend!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Yee-haw!

Sounds like fun, Ronnie Beth.

Our VBS starts in a week or so. Ours is "Egypt," Joseph, etc. Daughter was at church yesterday morning painting. I stayed home and did the gutter, son mowed for the first time.

Last night I played with the side band Cinnamon Hill, at a sushi place. They were also having a benefit for a youth rowing club that got into nationals and is trying to raise money to go.

So I figured there'd be no money, but in addition to 2 nice beers (Sierra Nevadas). I (and the rest of the band) got some nice sushi, plus the house paid us a hundred bucks and wants us back. Bassist was in a bit of a snit, but otherwise it went well. I played some songs for the first time ever, always fun to learn something onstage, but I was in the zone so no worries. Plus with 3 guitars (when I don't play mandolin) I can just add little bits and don't have to stress about actually knowing the song.

Cleanup today, folks come in tonight. Skipping church.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Played with the blues band on Friday and then on Saturday an acoustic set with Myra. Went quite well.

My Heatseeker sounded killer for the blues set!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Played with the blues band on Friday and then on Saturday an acoustic set with Myra. Went quite well.

My Heatseeker sounded killer for the blues set!
    Refresh my memory on what kind of amph a Heatseeker is?

I've been using my Super Champ XD with Cinnamon Hill. When we have our own PA, it's just the amph (used as a stage monitor) lined out to PA, when we played at a club with a house PA last Wednesday, It was the amph into a 2x12 instead of the stock speaker, in turn mic'd to PA.

We always sound better when we run our own sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian - The Heatseeker is the 18 watt tube head.
    http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?...7&postcount=17

This was my excitement for Sunday. I have double nickels in my sights. This is my max for the day.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Heatseeker is an 18 watt tube amp.

http://www.mackamps.com/products-Heatseeker-HS18/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, where do I start?

This is actually a 9-day, two weekend reply as I was on vacation the whole time. Flew to San Francisco on Friday, May 28th, then hopped in a rental car and drove to Windsor in the Russian River Valley in Sonoma. Went to an old friend's 50th birthday party at an incredible home (150 attended). Parked in the circular driveway in front of the house was a Lamborgini, a Ferrari, an Aston Martin, a Ford GT, and a host of "lessor" cars like the usual Mercedes, BMW's, Jaguar's and the like. Definitely Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous stuff (our friend works for Wells Fargo managing investments for +$10 million net worth clients). Party was great, food was great, and the wine excellent. These people had all earned their wealth and were all down to earth, pleasant and fun people.

Next day we attended the "survivors brunch" for 25 at Windsor Oaks Winery, atop a small mountain overlooking the Russian River Valley. The winery's owner/winemaker took four of us who got there early on a tour through the vinyards showing us where each varietal was planted and why each area was chosen for that particular grape. The owner, Doug coundn't have been a nicer guy, and his wife was equally pleasant.

The parties lasted 3-days and then we were off to visit wineries. Visited many, drank much, and dragged home two cases of wine that could only be bought there at the wineries. In between the wine tastings we went to Armstrong Woods Redwood Forest and hiked amongst the giant Redwoods, the oldest being 1300 years old in that park. Then we followed the Russian River to the coast where it flowed into the Pacific ocean. What an absolutely beautiful sight to see from high atop the cliffs along the shore. The beauty is hard to describe in words.

Finally, we drove into San Francisco on Thursday and stayed in the city until Saturday when we flew home. While in San Fran we happened upon a small club called "Biscuits and Blues" on Mason St. As luck would have it, Coco Montoya was playing there that very evening (Friday night). I immediately went to the box office and purchased two tickets. We were seated at stage level to the left by the door where Coco came out to the stage. I got to speak with him there briefly and after the concert was over I ran into him again as we were both headed up the stairs. I got to talk to him some more about music and his gear. Coco has been one of my favorite Blues guitarists for years, so it was pretty cool to meet him.
    My wife even sat through the whole two hour show, which was pretty amazing. She really dislikes loud electric guitar music, but with the aid of some earplugs, she was able to tollerate it. She even enjoyed a lot of the music (I'm still shocked... ).

We arrived home at 10:00 pm Saturday night, with two cases of wine and a couple of suitcases full of laundry. Our newlywed niece and her husband had come into town for our niece's 10-year high school reunion and they'll be staying at our home until Tuesday, which made our arrival home very pleasant.

And as a suitable ending to 9-days of fun, my new Guitarforce Vintage 57 humbucker pickups had arrived earlier in the day and were waiting for me when I walked in.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hauled the fam over to Seattle for a wedding. My wife's much younger brother. The weather cooperated, and Seattle received its first nice weather, just in time for the out of doors ceremony. I stayed at my brother's house up near the top end of lake Washington, and we did some boating too. First, just Dads, getting up way too early to go skiing while the water was flat, finishing off with some pre-mixed bloody marys from a jug. Then, family innertubing and fun on one of those absolutely perfect western WA days you get once in a while. Nice!

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

On Friday, I ran a mile race at the location of a horse racing track (placed 2nd and won a HR monitor for that). We ran around a parking lot. At the same time, there were horse races, and I put in 2 bucks for number 2 to win. I figured 2 should be a good number. I won $10.75! It was my first ever time at a horse race track.

Then after that, there was another race - the famous Beer Mile. This time, we ran on the actual horse track. Even started in those horse booths at the start - 3 guys per booth. You run a bit, drink a beer as fast as you can, and then run as fast as you can. There were 4 drinking stops for the 1 mile race, and after the 4th can, my stomach was NOT happy and I had to drink very slowly to get it down. I finished 6th in that race. Hilarious experience. I have to say, us older guys kicked butt compared to the young runners... I think I had 8 minutes something and 10 minutes later, there were still some guys finishing.

Then on Sunday, I ran for 3 hours in warm weather - felt very strong overall. Watched Germany kick Aussie booty after that - the Germans played impressive!

Post Thanks / Like

Then after that, there was another race - the famous Beer Mile. This time, we ran on the actual horse track. Even started in those horse booths at the start - 3 guys per booth. You run a bit, drink a beer as fast as you can, and then run as fast as you can. There were 4 drinking stops for the 1 mile race, and after the 4th can, my stomach was NOT happy and I had to drink very slowly to get it down. I finished 6th in that race. Hilarious experience. I have to say, us older guys kicked butt compared to the young runners... I think I had 8 minutes something and 10 minutes later, there were still some guys finishing.
    That sounds like a race about which I would have mixed feelings!

There's a similar concept behind the Krispy Kreme Challenge, where you run 2 miles to a Krispy Kreme shop, eat a dozen donuts, and run 2 miles back to the start. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

This weekend my wife and I went camping with her two sisters, who are 15 and 13. We went to one of those family-ish campgrounds that isn't exactly remote, but I think it was the right call for first-time campers. They want to do it again, so that's a bonus.

Saturday night/Sunday I think I must have had food poisoning, because I woke up at around 2 in the morning and puked my brains out, then felt sick for the majority of Sunday. I've never had food poisoning before, but if that's what it's like, I have to say I'm not such a fan.

Ended up staying at home and watching The Hangover and Fantastic Mr. Fox last night. Still in denial about it being Monday today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On Friday, I ran a mile race at the location of a horse racing track (placed 2nd and won a HR monitor for that). We ran around a parking lot. At the same time, there were horse races, and I put in 2 bucks for number 2 to win. I figured 2 should be a good number. I won $10.75! It was my first ever time at a horse race track.

Then after that, there was another race - the famous Beer Mile.

LOL!!! And rounding the post and pounding for home, it's . . . . . . SWEDEBISCUIT!!!!!

Sounds like fun Robert! Glad you didn't hurl during the beer race. That sounds kinda crazy.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Steve, any idea how much HP is required from a boat with those water tube fun things? I have a 25HP Yamaha after what is essentially a 3-person open boat - that's quite so-and so with waterskis, really hard to get up because the power is not quite enough to pull up quick...so it's damned hard on thighs. Those innertube thingies might be something my buddies & son etc. could try for fun.

But what's your take on 'em...do they require more or less power from the boat to pull 'em than waterskis? My feeling would be less, because they already float...?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would think less to pull it around some, but to really get it moving around, you will still need to get it up planing so that there is less drag. For a fun ride for the kids that was not too crazy, we needed around 15 MPH. Is your boat with the 25 HP motor about a 12 footer? Seems like it should work.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fourteen foot, yeah. It's for 4 people max, but it's like 2 men 2 women. Four men and it can't plane properly no more.

Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of my hobbies on weekends...

(I'm taking pics here, a buddy of mine doing the shootin')
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that boat and motor should work to tow the kids on a tube. I wouldn't get a huge tube or fun island style, just a regular size tube would work best I think.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 37 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast