Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The weekend Thread - Page 40
Page 40 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Blooz, just eat your dinner on the Marshall cab instead!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Well, I'm back from Moestock!

Moestock is an annual pilgrimage/jam/party/guitar pull of a group of musicians who collaborate over the internet (known as "cyberjamming"). Although I've never actually cyberjammed (being far too tech-inept, much less busy with kids, church, and local bands), I'm a member of the forums on their website. This is the 9th annual meetup, the first of which was hosted by a guy named Moe, who has since passed on. They've always been far away previously (Colorado, Ontario, Pennsylvania, etc.) but since this year's was within driving distance (mountains of north Georgia), I finally got to go to one. I've known some of these folks for years but never met a single one irl. This one started Thursday afternoon and went til Sunday morning.

I was in a house on stilts (although imagine all the trees being overflowing with bright green leaves):

I slept on the couch, 2 guys were in the loft upstairs, and a married couple in the bedroom off to the left:

We even got t-shirts and stuff:

The lodge was really nice, down in a holler only a couple hundred feet away from my cabin (which as you can see from the pic above is at the crest of a little ridge).

Since the fireplace was not in use, we set up a stage in front of it on that end of the lodge (the kitchen and bathrooms were on the other end, with space for tables in between). Here's the fireplace end of the lodge, without the PA, but showing where it was set up:

The hosts (local cyberjammers) provided a great PA, one of those fancy Bose "column" system thingies, that sounded great. The backline was all-boutique or high-end stuff-- Ignater, Victoria, Bogner, etc. There must've been 30-40 guitars out on stands along the back wall of the room, with more still in cases under some tables against the front wall.

Basically, we just ate, drank and played music all weekend. Friday night we informally divided into groups and everybody played a short set of 2-3 songs, just to get everyone involved. Saturday night we did the same thing again, only a smidge more formally, and styled it as a "battle of the bands" (although there was a winner, there weren't any prizes or anything). I've already forgotten what songs I played Friday night. Saturday the group I was in did "Mercury Blues" and the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated." Then we stayed onstage and backed one of the guy's tweenage daughter singing "Ring of Fire."

Thursday afternoon and evening and all day long on Friday and Saturday various people came and went onstage as the mood struck them, and there were acoustic jams out on the porches as well. I played mandolin in a batch of acoustic jams, and onstage played guitar, bass, "drums" (actually just tried to keep time on snare, when no drummer was about), and sang some lead and some backing. The back porch featured a keg of beer that usually got going about noon and went for as long as people wanted to hang out.

An absolutely epic weekend. I didn't take pics but if/when I can get hold of some that show the guitars/setup/partying I'll post here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Hey Blooz, just eat your dinner on the Marshall cab instead!

I'll suggest that to my wife, Robert. She'd find that amusing. Good thing the rolling pin is packed away with the rest of the kitchen stuff right now...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, that looks like a fun weekend Brian!

We had a home swim meet for all three of our kids. They all did great, and have really come along in swimming this year, and are really enjoying it too.

Then we went camping up at Redfish Lake. Amazingly beautiful! Did a little tubing and skiing, brought a guitar but did not get to play it because we were too busy with beach stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileedfish_Lake.JPG

View like this, but sunnier.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Steve, that scenery is epic.

Being around/in mountains makes me nervous though. Our resort's entrance road was a one-lane drive of gravel and red Georgia clay, with some pretty steep grades, and of course no guardrails or anything to keep you from plunging down into a ravine. A smidge scary for a flatland Floridian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HaHa! Actually, the mountain roads here are mostly on the valley floor, and quite mellow, as opposed the the sidehill roads with landslide issues every few miles I grew up with in the Cascades.

I always feel fortunate and blessed when I get to waterski into that view, which is even more stunning on a sunny day. The rock mountains you see are a sandy pink in the light, and basically come down right to the water on that end of the lake. The lake was carved out by glaciers coming off those mountains way back when, and that end of the lake is quite deep. Very clear too. I could see the waterski handle sinking down to the end of the rope length standing in the boat yesterday morning.

Derek, my oldest, has learned to pull me on his own (as long as there is not too much boat traffic or other issues requiring an adult driver). So the kids took me for a waterski while their Mom got a hike in. Very nice!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran 41 kilometers yesterday morning, and then spent all afternoon and evening installing a laminate floor in the basement.

On Saturday, we picked up our 6 year-old at a Swedish camp, where she'd been for 6 days. Boy, was she ever tired! My wife thinks she's too young for camp. Maybe, oh well, she had fun.

It was cool hearing the Canadian kids singing Swedish traditional songs! The pronunciation seems hard, haha.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian - looks like it was fun weekend. I love the north Georgia mountains. Steve - Wow. What a gorgeous place! Glad you guys had fun.

This weekend was actually calm, mostly hung around the house. Had church and youth band practice yesterday. Two of my girl singers quit, which I hate, but they weren't as good as they thought they were, plus one in particular LIVED for drama and is a "she-devil" to boot. So, it's not the end of the band. I've still got my best singer, so we'll actually move ahead now. Don't try to have to keep peace or minimize drama as much now.

We went to Panama City last weekend. I'll try to get a couple of pics up sometime. It was beautiful and the weather was great. No oil to be seen!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

@ Robert: if she had fun, then she's old enough. I'll admit that mine wouldn't have been ready for a week at that age though.

@ Ronnie Beth: yay for minimizing drama. Life's too short, amigo. Good news on the oil front, thanks for that update, we'll be at Cape San Blas all next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Moestock pics!

Jumping up to sing lead on a Clash song, Friday afternoon:

Closeup, note Dr. Pepper can with duct tape labeled as "BEER."

More daytime jamming, that's a Moestock t-shirt with the logo obscured by the guitar strap, and my T-40 bass being played in the back.

A couple shots from a set Friday night:

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Giving props to a fellow Moestocker, Friday night:

Dancing, Saturday night:

Playing "Mercury Blues" Saturday night, I stood on that chair to the right for a solo in the next song, then jumped from the chair to the floor during the solo. That's my Dano on the left also.

I'm not sure what these arm motions are. Best guess is that my bandmate was egging on applause which I was trying to cut, haha. From Saturday night.

Training the next generation of Moestockers, playing "Ring of Fire" Saturday night:

Skanking to the final, very metal, entry in the battle of the bands on Saturday night:

Last edited by Brian Krashpad; July 20th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    ...I love the north Georgia mountains...
    Yeah, me too. We used to have a second home in Hiawassee, sold it about seven years ago. As much as we loved it, we were too far away to enjoy it regularly (12 hour drive), and too far from retirement to spend the summers there.

With this oppressive heat lately it sure would be nice to be there now...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Yeah, me too. We used to have a second home in Hiawassee, sold it about seven years ago. As much as we loved it, we were too far away to enjoy it regularly (12 hour drive), and too far from retirement to spend the summers there.

With this oppressive heat lately it sure would be nice to be there now...
    I was hoping it would be cooler up there this last weekend, but no dice. In the 90's and high humidity too. In fact, when I got back to FL on Sunday afternoon it was no hotter here than it had been up in GA, and was actually less humid.

Wasn't very lucky with the weather (in fact there was HUGE downpour Friday afternoon), but the good times more than made up for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Good pic of the back porch at Moestock. Behind where the photographer was standing was a huge pile of empty guitar cases. And what a surprise, I'm at the keg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    I was hoping it would be cooler up there this last weekend, but no dice. In the 90's and high humidity too. In fact, when I got back to FL on Sunday afternoon it was no hotter here than it had been up in GA, and was actually less humid.

Wasn't very lucky with the weather (in fact there was HUGE downpour Friday afternoon), but the good times more than made up for it.
    I know it can get hot up there from time to time. Hopefully it wasn't 82 degrees for the overnight lows like it's been here every night...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I know it can get hot up there from time to time. Hopefully it wasn't 82 degrees for the overnight lows like it's been here every night...
    No, at least at night it got down to the lower 70's.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent last week in Bend Oregon. I'll get some pictures up later because I still haven't settled in at home.

Brian - that looks like it was a lot of fun.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I spent last week in Bend Oregon. I'll get some pictures up later because I still haven't settled in at home.

Brian - that looks like it was a lot of fun.
    Beyond fun, it was bosstastic!

Look forward to your pics.

Speaking of which, someone just posted the gear shots I've been waiting on:

The herd!

More hosses waitin' to get outta the corral:

Guardin' the keg, shootin' the sh*t, letting others wear my glasses:

Post Thanks / Like

The trip to Bend Oregon was to cater a wedding for around 200. It was at a beautiful site but the whole thing was completely ruined (in my opinion) by putting up a greenhouse to hold the event in. Mid 90s Fahrenheit - clear tent with no vents - ineffectual air conditioning - 110F at least inside the tent. Walking outside the tent when the sun was at a certain angle was like walking under a magnifying glass when someone is roasting ants. HOT!

Most of the wedding party was from the Laguna California area and were an extremely attractive bunch of people.

This was part of the view through the stupid tent. I can't understand why they didn't just go with a white tent with no sides. Same view plus shade that way.

View of the chicken coop. That's right - this is a chicken coop. Amazing what money will get you.

Some of the local hired crew trying to cool off during set up.

More of the crew at the start of the dinner. FWIW - none of these women were any good at what they were doing. We took our core crew of 6 people and we got more done than all the rest combined.

A picture of a pile of rabbits that was in the barn bathroom.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 40 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast