Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The weekend Thread - Page 41
Page 41 of 79 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Hybrid View

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Climate

Around here it almost never gets to -2.0 F. Maybe once or twice a typical Winter, sometimes it gets down to -10 F, but rarely and when it does it is very very cold to the North of us and we can see major ice floes in the Spring breakup on the rivers and streams with two or three foot thick slabs and chunks of ice moving down the current, threatening bridges, streamside homes, riverside trees, etc. A lot of the Winter typically is just below freezing during the day and in the mid to upper teens "F" at night.

We even ride our motorcycles during the Winter when the roads are snow AND ice free. This can happen during the middle of the Winter, but on the other hand the Winter can be strong and solid thru the season with snow cover and ice staying.

The Russian forest sounds like a major wilderness. Do they let you hunt there or are guns prohibited there. I don't suppose you can just enter Russia from Finland without going thru customs and you probably would not be able to carry a gun. Can the Russian locals even own guns?

Do they allow guns to be owned by citizens in Finland? I have several rifles and a twelve guage Remmington semi auto shotgun. Around here the
    30 - 30 lever action Western cowboy type gun is very popular, along with all sorts of 30 - 06'es. Did you know that the 06 in the 30 - 06 stands for the year the cartridge was developed: 1906? Can you imagine that? And here the thirty 'ot six can be a VERY modern gun, even awesome Remmington pump actions. You probably use different calibers in Finland due to the availability of ammunition and the patents owned by the manufacturers. What are the popular and economical guages? You probably don't see any Remmington mfg ammo there, right?

Here you do not need a license to own a rifle, only a handgun. How is the licencing there for rifles? Can you buy them in stores, etc., without a big hassle?

I like to keep my Thirty thirty carbine close at hand just for satisfaction and comfort. It is a light easy to handle short cowboy type lever action. I also have a .444, Four fourty four, cowboy type lever action carbine which is like a shoulder cannon, almost a half inch bullet diameter and a BIG cartridge. This is heavy and super powerful beyond even close range, but not like a Thirty thirty or Thirty 'ot Six. The 30 - 06 was used by the US military in the first and second world wars, Korea, and Vietnam. Standard issue in the world wars and used as a sniper rifle in the later wars. Snipers probably still use them today in units that have any type of autonomy. Now they primarily use the NATO ammo for universitality reasons and standardization. The M16 and recent variants using VERY light bullets at high velocities; like a .22 super mega magnum. I used an M16 when I got drafted into the ARMY. Don't want to personally own one. I like the larger calibers.

Anyway, forests and guns seem to go hand in hand. We have large Black Bears around here. What type of Bears do you have in Finland and are you allowed to hunt them? I personally do not go Bear hunting and like but respect bears and understand the danger they possess. I have seen many many Bears and have had them right up to my tent. None of my dogs have liked Bears and have been particularly sensitive to their presence. I have been scared by Bears a few times, at night and during the day. They are the type of animal that can instantly frighten you, especially if they have cubs and you don't have a gun.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    The Russian forest sounds like a major wilderness. Do they let you hunt there or are guns prohibited there. I don't suppose you can just enter Russia from Finland without going thru customs and you probably would not be able to carry a gun. Can the Russian locals even own guns?
    I'm not sure how strict the laws are there, I *think* it's not easy to own a legal gun there, BUT there must be loads of unlicenced guns. I know for a fact that they smuggle AK-47's etc. here pretty constantly. But there are hunting trips arranged in Russia for Finns as well. We can't take our own guns, but the organizers arrange them on site. Bear, I understand, mostly.

If there's one thing Finland has, it's forest...lots and lots of forests here. Less people than in New York City in the whole country but it's not a small country after all, much bigger than UK for instance, or most European countries.

Do they allow guns to be owned by citizens in Finland? I have several rifles and a twelve guage Remmington semi auto shotgun. Around here the
    30 - 30 lever action Western cowboy type gun is very popular, along with all sorts of 30 - 06'es. Did you know that the 06 in the 30 - 06 stands for the year the cartridge was developed: 1906? Can you imagine that? And here the thirty 'ot six can be a VERY modern gun, even awesome Remmington pump actions. You probably use different calibers in Finland due to the availability of ammunition and the patents owned by the manufacturers. What are the popular and economical guages? You probably don't see any Remmington mfg ammo there, right?
    Yes there's Remington ammo...especially the .223 ammo is usually U.S. made...and yes Finns have a lot of guns per capita. I have a .40 S&W w/18 cart.clips and a 9mm Glock and an old Mosin-Nagant variant 7.62 53R military rifle with optics for elk hunting, and a .22 Ruger with dot sight and a silencer, and a 6.32 'pocket' semiauto gun also from WWII, complete with an airforce swastika carved on the grip.

I however reload most of my own ammo.

Popular caliber here is .308, old 7.62 is also popular (also the AK-47 and the short 7.62), and .223 Bushmaster etc. M-16 descendants are quite popular sports guns as well, many of my friends have those. Also in .308 caliber. 30-06 is still quite popular as well. Gun owning is getting harder though, shotguns you get basically if you live in the country without much questions, rifles if you hunt and have a hunting licence, but handguns are getting harder. Usually need to be in sports club and there's a year's wait of practicing with club guns first.

I believe there's quite a lot of people into 'Cowboy Action' shooting as well, and they use old-style single action stuff and lever action rifles.

Anyway, forests and guns seem to go hand in hand. We have large Black Bears around here. What type of Bears do you have in Finland and are you allowed to hunt them? I personally do not go Bear hunting and like but respect bears and understand the danger they possess. I have seen many many Bears and have had them right up to my tent. None of my dogs have liked Bears and have been particularly sensitive to their presence. I have been scared by Bears a few times, at night and during the day. They are the type of animal that can instantly frighten you, especially if they have cubs and you don't have a gun.
    There is bear hunting, yes, but not many people do it. Brown bear only here. Bears aren't very common except in the eastern parts here...I have a few friends who do hunt for bear, but I don't think it's a common sport. Bears are after all quite shy animals, and you only get licences to shoot one when there's clearly too many in an area, or they start coming too close to town.

Elk and mallard, deer...those are the most hunted ones here. Hare, etc. too of course, grouse etc.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much happening this weekend. But, wanted to give you guys a follow up on the football episode last week. Our team wound up only having 9 players NOT facing a 1 game suspension, so we had to forfeit this week's game PLUS pay a $500 fine. The team we forfeited to is supposed to come HERE next year, but because of the income loss from our forfeit, we'll be going there next year.

The other team? They had 11 players suspended for 2 games (I think), plus $2,500 in fines, plus they are now on probation. Apparently, this isn't their first time acting like they did....

Anyway, will be playing at church in the morning and youth band practice tomorrow afternoon.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

You guys are making me cold!

Our church praise band performed last night at a LWML (Lutheran Women's Missionary League) convention here in town. We were actually the music for a worship service, not a separate "concert."

Somewhat to my surprise, it went well. Although I missed having drums, and ended up playing in what were supposed to have been my "set-up clothes." I got to see my pastor from my prior church, who was up from downstate, and was one of the few guys in a room of several hundred middle-aged and elderly ladies.

We had a PA, but the instruments, except for the acoustic-electrics (other guitar, mandolin, ukelele) going direct, just used our stage amps. I played my little Super Champ XD, but disconnected the stock 10" and played it through an open-back DIY 2x12 cab I made out of a couple Celestions and a gutted combo cab. I set the cab vert with the SC XD on top of it.

We got laminates/name tags (Lutherans gotta have name tags!), so of course I put "BRIAN KRASHPAD" on mine.

A little old lady called me a "comedian." I think that was after she was introduced to us as being the person in charge of the convention music, and I said, "So, you'll be the one apologizing later, eh?"

I'm such a riot.

An actual mandolin player there told me afterward that the mandolin (played on one song) added a lot! Who'da thunk it! Again, he was one of the few males in attendance. Several people thanked us and said it sounded good as we were loading out.

Today: an overdue oil change for the Rockmobile, praise band practice, Casa Krashpad kleanup, and FOOTBALL!

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend I was away on business in Orlando so I'm looking forward to relaxing with my full-size guitar again rather than the little Squire Mini-strat I jammed on in the hotel room while I leg my legs heal from my increased running. Although, since it's my first anniversary this week, I might do something special for that.

We ended up checking out a great cover band at a local biker bar. Gotta love seeing live music. Really made the weekend.
    Last edited by omegadot; October 2nd, 2010 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This weekend ended up busier than I thought! Last night we went to check out the Huntsville Hornets take on the Caney Creek Panthers in 4A high school football action. It was fun to watch, but Baby Kat, being 3, just didn't have the patience for watching football. My niece is a trainer for the team, and did a great job. We ended up leaving after watching the Hornet band play at halftime. My back had all it could take sitting on the bleachers.

Today we went with my sister, her fiancee, and my mom to a festival in Huntsville. Lots of arts and crafts, and a killer vintage car/hotrod show. Wish I had taken a camera. Nothing like high speed Detroit tonnage to make the day go by. We didn't stay too long.

As we were leaving, we walked by a tent, and there was a local country band playing. This particular song called for the lead guitar player to air out a longer solo. He was really good, and the crowd applauded the solo! Nice to see that.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I took my 10 yr old daughter to an indoor skate rink friday ( I haven't been on skates for 40+ years) it was fun except for the circus music (our parent's didn't like our music either)I only fell once and only knocked three kids on their butts lol!! Sat I could barely walk.great workout though,ready for this Sat.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after I went and got an oil change and tire rotation, had praise band practice Saturday morning, and our band director (BD hereinafter) told us he's going to be leaving once a replacement can be found. Some of the church trustees had a beef with the BD's mom, who works at our preschool, and she basically decided she didn't want to work where she wasn't wanted/trusted, so she's gotten another job somewhere else, and our BD doesn't want to continue in a church where his mom was treated shabbily.

I don't blame him a bit, and frankly I'm so mad I could spit. We went through the same kind of bullshit at our last church 3 or 4 years ago and it got so bad we finally left. Mrs. Krashpad has about had it with organized religion in general, and certainly the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. I doubt she'll continue going, other than to drop off kids for youth things. I'm going to stay since the church doesn't have any other lead guitarists, and since I do like a lot of people here, and my son still has all of high school in front of him and is in the Youth Group (daughter is starting college next year).

Pisses me off though.

Saturday night we watched the Gators get destroyed by Bama.

Sunday- played 3 songs in late service, all went really well. My wife came to church to hear if there'd be any official announcements about the whole drama thing, and nada was said. Chickenshits. Did I mention the church's finances suck too?

Oh well, at least I'll still see the BD on a regular basis, since we both play bass for each other's non-church bands. In fact, Sunday night my band, Crash pad, had a practice. Despite our drummer bailing at the last second, it went really well. Maybe we should drink iced tea more often, haha.

Should have another practice tomorrow evening, hopefully with all 4 Crashers there. You'd almost think it was a real band. Big comeback show on the 14th, the opener is the new band from Crash Pad's former drummer, my buddy J.T. That should be great fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent several days with Sunvalleylaw and his buddies riding mountain bikes in the Montana wilderness. You can see the photo album here. Lots of fun...and sweat.
    http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...ontana%20Trip/

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

As usual those are beautiful Spud. But the thought of biking in the mountains, at all (much less for several days), makes my legs hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    As usual those are beautiful Spud. But the thought of biking in the mountains, at all (much less for several days), makes my legs hurt.

That's what all the girls say.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That's what all the girls say.
    I'll stay home and serenade the girls, while you go biking with the boys in their tight little lycra pants.

Post Thanks / Like

Krash, that sux about your band leader. I really fricking hate church politics, but I guess a system run by people is bound to have complications.

I went camping this weekend up in Vermont with my wife, sister, brother-in-law, and 1.5-year-old niece. It's really beautiful right now, with pretty much everything changing color. It got down to about 41 and 34 degrees on Friday and Saturday respectively, so it was pretty chilly, but a good time. Kind of kid-centric, but that's to be expected. No rain, which was a definite bonus.

One thing my wife and I have realized: 8-hour car rides should be reserved for something longer than a weekend trip. Whew!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Krash, that sux about your band leader. I really fricking hate church politics, but I guess a system run by people is bound to have complications.

I went camping this weekend up in Vermont with my wife, sister, brother-in-law, and 1.5-year-old niece. It's really beautiful right now, with pretty much everything changing color. It got down to about 41 and 34 degrees on Friday and Saturday respectively, so it was pretty chilly, but a good time. Kind of kid-centric, but that's to be expected. No rain, which was a definite bonus.

One thing my wife and I have realized: 8-hour car rides should be reserved for something longer than a weekend trip. Whew!
    Know what you mean about church politics - left my last church group for that reason. You'd hope Christians could get on a bit better!
    -----------------------------------------
    I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pants
    Know what you mean about church politics - left my last church group for that reason. You'd hope Christians could get on a bit better!
    Yep, we're only here because we went through the same thing about 4 years ago across town. Now something similar happens here.

Arrgh.

PS-- Spud and Steve-- I'm just kidding about the biking thing. Sorry if I took it too far.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weekend

Krash, I sympathize with you. We had problems at the church where my son attended the school. We left him in the school and he graduated.

I since divorced my ex wife, very successfully. But I went to a few different churches and I stayed out of things like the committees, etc., clean up crews, and so on. Noticed the minister didn't do any clean up . . . . . What's up with that?

Anyway, I went for the spiritual development part. It seems like the financial and physical plant parts always cause all sorts of problems, even the music programs.

I still really respect one of my preachers, but can't stand some of the others, and some of the board of director members or whatever they are called are ridiculous lawyer types that wouldn't understand the "right" thing to do if they had to. Not that all lawyers are messed up, don't get me wrong. Just some of these board characters at the church were lawyers and approached things very defensively, with no apparent regard for doing the right thing.

Hey, there are some great lawyers out there, like the one that handled my divorce, and the one that represented me years ago in a DWI that I thankfully beat - and also quit drinking. He cost me 1000 dollars cash on the barrel head over 25 years ago, and money very well spent.

It seems like it is the non-spiritual things that mess up churches and the church experience. Hence, when I go, I try to avoid getting caught up in ancillary functions and so forth. The band would be fun though, but even the bands have problems because some of the conservatives didn't believe in drums in church - so they got electronic drums until the kid playing them refused to play them any more and brought his own drums back. Why wouldn't church people want drums in church? I'm sure there are drums played in the bible. Their excuse was that drums lead to that gyrating type of music that evidently leads to dancing and some sort of devil worship. . . . . . Makes no sense to me. So now they have two different services based upon the type of music presented in the service. How about "coming together"?

Anyway, keep your eyes open. That band problem could contain unseen resentments and other problems that are not immediately obvious. Why can't we all just try to cooperate?

I don't blame the band director by the way. Church figures should focus on the important things, like "shepherding" and helping people develop spiritually. Plus those teachers are paid ridiculously low and shouldn't have to put up with a lot of political non-sense.

Good luck dude. Maybe you can help out - do the right thing and be an example for someone.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had a great weekend cycling with Spud and my gang over in Montana. See Spud's Bitteroot Mountain Bike Weekend thread for more details. It was really great!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

See my photos of our MT. Biking weekend here: http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...ontana%202010/

Very nice!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ahem, please refer to photos provided at links above and note baggy shorts worn by yours truly, and I believe almost everyone on the trip. ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 41 of 79 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast