Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The weekend Thread - Page 51
Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Getting ridiculous amounts of snow here...so getting ready for cycling in snowstorm:

That should keep me warm zooming along the streets to work in the morning!

There hasn't been so much snow this early in the winter in ages:

People are constantly getting late from work etc. due to excess snow, it can be really hard work to get your car off the parkinglot and even after that to plow thru the snowbanks amassing everywhere.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also it can be a ***** to cycle if the plow hasn't come this way...
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Brr.

There are times I'm glad I live in Floriduh.

Despite that we're currently experiencing record-breaking cold, it's child's play compared to that in northern climes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Spud: pics? Was that a solo gig, I take it?
    Duo actually. I start rehearsals with the new trio this weekend and first gig the following weekend. Then start with the 5 piece dance band the end of January.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Duo actually. I start rehearsals with the new trio this weekend and first gig the following weekend. Then start with the 5 piece dance band the end of January.
    Dang son, you'll be rollin' in dosh!

Ooh, just noticed the weekend's already started. Last night I went to our annual Boar's Head production, cast of 100, medieval origins, Christmas, blah blah. My son has 2 parts, one of the boar's head bearers in the medieval cast, and a shephed in the Biblical cast. My daughter was Mary the last 2 years but didn't want to do it this year.

Today have praise band practice at 10 a.m., rest of the day will be cleanup for party on Tuesday night (my wife's students all come over).

Tomorrow: 11 a.m. service, then pre-Boar's Head minstrelsy for 4:30 and 7:30 shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs. Kat came home from her trip to Washington state. She got some beautiful pics from the plane on the way in. Gorgeous country up there. She said it rained the whole time. She also experienced the joys of Mexican food made outside of Texas (no offense meant to any other cuisine here, Tex Mex food is unique to the region and somewhat spicy).

Anyway, it was a joyous reunion, and Baby Kat was excited to see Mrs. Kat. She's still getting adjusted back to Central time, but she'll be back in the swing of things in a day or two.

Oh, and the big dork didn't dress for the weather, even though she packed for it.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

One of my neighbors found this guy wandering about this morning, and she can't keep him in her house, because she has dogs as big as horses who would eat him!

We've flyered the neighborhood and put up a post on craigslist and on a second facebook page meant to reunite local lost pets and owners. In the meantime, we temporarily have a new family member. We're calling him "Buster."

Somewhat amazingly, our Chihuahua-Dachshund mix, Sadie, has not terrorized him. Here she is:

She's a Chiweenie. Also known as a Mexican Hot Dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Mighty nice of you Brian to look after "Buster". Dachshunds are intelligent and usually sweet mannered dogs. We have a miniature Daschie that will be 10 years old on Christmas Day. Buster looks like he might be in that age bracket too. I'm sure his owner will turn up soon.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Mighty nice of you Brian to look after "Buster". Dachshunds are intelligent and usually sweet mannered dogs. We have a miniature Daschie that will be 10 years old on Christmas Day. Buster looks like he might be in that age bracket too. I'm sure his owner will turn up soon.
    Yeah, he's an old dog. Hopefully we'll hear soon. In the meantime, for however long, he'll be a Krashpad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is my 44th weekend to work in a row!
    I looked at the calender and realized this. Well, it sure beats not working!

That is all...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Mrs. Kat came home from her trip to Washington state. She got some beautiful pics from the plane on the way in. Gorgeous country up there. She said it rained the whole time. She also experienced the joys of Mexican food made outside of Texas (no offense meant to any other cuisine here, Tex Mex food is unique to the region and somewhat spicy).

Anyway, it was a joyous reunion, and Baby Kat was excited to see Mrs. Kat. She's still getting adjusted back to Central time, but she'll be back in the swing of things in a day or two.

Oh, and the big dork didn't dress for the weather, even though she packed for it.
    Glad to hear she enjoyed it! It is beautiful up there, even when it is raining. Where did she go for Mexican food? I have a favorite place up there that have some ties to a specific region in Mexico.

I myself have fired up the kids's ski team again, and have been working weekends with the kids. That and holiday stuff. Busy, busy, busy!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe

Hey Kat, I'm glad she liked it up here. We don't go out the front door without a rain jacket on. Ever.

It is pretty country here, although the Mex. food is bland for sure.

We've been getting a very heavy dose of rain this weekend and nearly everything is flooding. I've been staying in and playing bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent today cleaning house, while the wife to help College Girl come home for Christmas. She had her last final this morning and is on the way home now. Tomorrow, we leave for DISNEY WORLD! The girls don't know it yet, but we'll tell them tonight. That's what they wanted for Christmas and we haven't let on that it's what they're getting.

Brian, we'll be passing through Gator Country tomorrow afternoon. Wish I had time to stop and visit, but Mickey calls... See you guys next weekend!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs. Kat is on the way home soon with Older Kid Kat and a relative. I had a good shift at work last night, and I'm about to head out the door and do it again.

I'm awake, alive, employed, and in good spirits, and I've listed to gutar music. Today is a good day!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had an xmas party for my wife's co-workers - a perfect excuse to roast an extra leg of ham!

You might not know that in Finland the tradition is to always bake a big leg of ham for xmas; gray-salted, with skin and all, baked whole in an oven all night till it's very done. No seasonings except the gray salt it has been treated with originally.

Then you cover it with mustard and some cloves and breadcrumbs and roast it for 10 minutes in a hot oven. Enjoyed with swede, carrot and potato casserole and beetroot salad.

Anyway, this year I'm making two hams! The first 25-pound one is already eaten! Still have the other leg of the pig awaiting :-)

If you're wondering where did the 'shin' part go, it gets so done in the oven the thin part of the leg/bone just simply fall off and are the first to be eaten, over a sandwich for instance while preparing the rest :-)
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds delicious, dee. Now I'm hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Mmm, food!

Ronnie Beth-- honk as you drive past GNV on I-75!

FRIDAY:

Family movie night, watched "Christmas Vacation." My daughter's girlfriend had never seen it. How is that even possible?

SATURDAY:

Praise team practice @ 10, spent several hours cleaning out the Rockmobile. Actually played a little guitar on breaks from the chores, out in the garage with a Laney solid state combo I bought for Krashpadito to learn on. The thing sounds surprisingly decent.

SUNDAY:
    Had a pretty good day Sunday, the songs in church went well. Especially the first, more rock song. Got some bizarre cryptic backhanded "compliment" from some old bat while packing out. Sigh, why not just go to the traditional service?

Fun playing acoustic bass and singing later with the Youth Group, caroling to the folks who usually can't get to church, some in their private homes and some in adult care type places. Finished off with a side band (Pedagogy) practice at the office, which went pretty well, but after 2 hours with a guitar on my shoulder, I was a hurtin' gator (my left shoulder is messed up from nerve damage from the neck operation, of all things).

Today, back to the grind. And a ray gun neck zap this afternoon. I'm bringing my techs Christmas cookies today. I reckon it's advisable to stay on the good side of people operating 2-ton machines full of radiation that's pointed at your neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Friday: Met some friends at a bar in the city, left around 8:30, went out to eat at a restaurant afterward.

Saturday: Went to buy a microwave off Craigslist, as ours recently died. Got it home and realized it was much dirtier than I initially thought, so spent a good bit of time cleaning it out.

Went over to the house of a younger guy I know who plays guitar to jam with him and his friends. He's amazingly good (or fast, anyway), but at least one of his friends doesn't understand the concept of music or songs -- just how to turn himself up way too loud and put a spotlight on himself. Still, it was fun.

Birthday party for my mother-in-law in the evening.

Sunday: Two services with the A team at church. This was the first week I was scheduled after the departure of our leader, so it was done with the interim worship-team leader. Went pretty well, all things considered. Did some ambient stuff on one of the songs, and the others, while not amazingly good, went well enough.

After the service, I was checking out the interim leader's new Pod HD400 and running through just the basic amp models. I wanted to see how the JTM45 model worked with a representative songs, so I played the first few chords of "All Right Now". About 15 second later, someone comes out from the back and yells at me that I need to quit it right now and that his wife is offended. He looks like he's about ready to punch me.

Later, he comes back and apologizes for yelling at me, and says that's just how he is. I guess his wife didn't like the lyrics of "I took her home to my place, watching every move on her face", etc.

I understand how familiar rock riffs probably don't have much of a place in church, and I do need to watch what I play when, so it's a point well taken. However, when I basically get cussed out like a small child, it's hard to have an immediate mental response that's as mature as I would like. I know I was probably doing some immature by playing a classic rock song in church, but there's something about the whole interaction that's really demotivating to me.

Went to a giant Christmas party in the evening with probably 100+ people, hosted by some relatives of my wife. Ate too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast