Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The weekend Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The weekend Thread

Post Thanks / Like

That was reveille, Steve. Unfortunately we did have a mishap later on Saturday after we got back to camp, some of the younger scouts are a little too wild for my liking, and they were playing a ways away from the adults, and somone through some sand. It got in one of the scouts' eye, and they had to take him to an emergancy room in the nearest town to be safe. He had some scratches on his eye, hopefully it will heal up fast.

The reason that had to do with the bugler is, the boy who got injured is his son, so he wasn't around to blow taps.

They gave two different talks to the scouts about horseplay the next day. The first one was for the kids involved, and then the second was to the whole troop in general. I was not surprised by the composition of the first group. I knew Jack wouldn't be in it, and he wasn't, but conversely the kids who usually are the worst about running amok were there.

What kinda pisses me off is that at least a couple of the 5 or 6 kids that were involved were there with their dads. Sfaik I didn't see any of those dads wander over to see if their kids were in the first group, nor go off with their sons to talk to them privately about what had happened.

One of those kids I've known since Cub Scout days, and the kid doesn't mean harm but he desperately needs direction. His dad is totally oblivious. I hate to do it, but there've been times when I've had to, either as a parent or assistant den leader (during my last year in Cubs) stop the kid from what he was doing beofre he hurt himself or someone else, even though his dad was right there.

I just don't get that type of parenting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Oh my gosh! Shorts and t shirts. I am so jealous. It's great that you can go participate in the Scout events.
    I hate it for you, Spudster! We were COLD this morning, got all the way down to 41! I had to actually put a jacket on this morning as I got cold and I'm pretty hot-natured.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    I hate it for you, Spudster! We were COLD this morning, got all the way down to 41! I had to actually put a jacket on this morning as I got cold and I'm pretty hot-natured.
    Haha, Ron, you're a cruel man.

You are just on the other side of the swamp from where we were, I bet, if you're in SW Georgia.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really a weekend thing, because we got home LATE Friday night (OK, maybe it is considered a weekend thing.), but my daughter (the 17 year old) is on our high school's "One Act Play" cast and they competed at the region level and won on Friday. This coming Saturday, they will compete at the state level.

The play they're doing is "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". Carabeth is one of the brides and has a few speaking parts. She and the rest of the kids have done a really great job. In fact, the girl playing the lead (Millie) won "Best Actress" at the region competition. Not bad for a little podunk town in Southwest Georgia! :

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Oh my gosh! Shorts and t shirts. I am so jealous. It's great that you can go participate in the Scout events.
    It really has been a blessing. The camping weekends only cost $20 a person, and include food and entrance fees to the parks, etc. So aside from gas money I spend since I drive along, it's a $40 weekend. Although on the way home on this one I bought the 3 scouts in my van a burger each since they were starving since we didn't have lunch.

So make that a $44 weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Not really a weekend thing, because we got home LATE Friday night (OK, maybe it considered a weekend thing.), but my daughter (the 17 year old) is on our high school's "One Act Play" cast and they competed at the region level and won on Friday. This coming Saturday, they will compete at the state level.

The play they're doing is "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". Carabeth is one of the brides and has a few speaking parts. She and the rest of the kids have done a really great job. In fact, the girl playing the lead (Millie) won "Best Actress" at the region competition. Not bad for a little podunk town in Southwest Georgia! :
    That's outstanding Ron! My daughter did some community theatre a few years ago but hasn't had time for it with her studies of late. She's going to be Mary in our church's annual Christmas pageant thingy (it's something called "Boar's Head" or something like that, not having seen it before I have no idea where that name comes from) but I think it's more of a choral presentation with action rather than a traditional play with speaking parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Haha, Ron, you're a cruel man.

You are just on the other side of the swamp from where we were, I bet, if you're in SW Georgia.
    Actually, we're about 2 1/2 hours or more away. Okefenokee is in Southeast GA and we're in SW GA. In fact, if you look at map, we're the SW corner of the state where GA, FL and AL meet. Only 100 miles from Panama City!

Post Thanks / Like

That's outstanding Ron! My daughter did some community theatre a few years ago but hasn't had time for it with her studies of late. She's going to be Mary in our church's annual Christmas pageant thingy (it's something called "Boar's Head" or something like that, not having seen it before I have no idea where that name comes from) but I think it's more of a choral presentation with action rather than a traditional play with speaking parts.
    Good luck to her! I'm sure she'll do a great job. I'm kinda curious to know where the "Boar's Head" comes from too. Can't say as I've ever heard that phrase connected with Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Good luck to her! I'm sure she'll do a great job. I'm kinda curious to know where the "Boar's Head" comes from too. Can't say as I've ever heard that phrase connected with Christmas.
    I googled it, and found this on wikipedia:

The Boar's Head Carol is a macaronic 15th century song which may refer to one of several English Christmas carols that describes the ancient tradition of sacrificing a boar and presenting its head at a Yuletide feast. The modern version most usually performed is based on a version published in 1521 in Wynkyn de Worde's Christmasse Carolles.

Post Thanks / Like

I googled it, and found this on wikipedia:

The Boar's Head Carol is a macaronic 15th century song which may refer to one of several English Christmas carols that describes the ancient tradition of sacrificing a boar and presenting its head at a Yuletide feast. The modern version most usually performed is based on a version published in 1521 in Wynkyn de Worde's Christmasse Carolles.
    Sounds like a valid explanation to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Ron, congrats! I love it when kids are involved in creative arts and putting it out there, and love it when parents support them.

Brian, I agree with being frustrated with parents that don't take responsibility for guiding their own kids and want to leave it to the Scout leaders. We have some parents like that in our own little Cub Pack. I will say that I recall running amok myself just a bit at Boy Scout camp (wasn't allowed at Cub events). But throwing dirt and sand was never a part of it. I do remember throwing a hatchet at a tree Davey Crocket style when the leaders weren't looking. As I recall, we were told by an older scout to stop in no uncertain terms or I just decided on my own it wasn't a good idea and said so. (I normally didn't start the mischief, but I sometimes joined in or watched before coming to my senses). Some of my buddies were also pretty good at making a "smoke signal" fire with wet fir boughs piled on a big fire (cough, cough). I was not so into that.

Seriously though, as soon as we got into more backcountry backpacking and more serious camping, there was an emphasis on survival skills, first aid, responsibility for one's own safety etc. and that cut down on the horseplay. The horseplay tended to happen at the Scout camp that we just drove to and set up stinky canvas tents for a week.

Scouting is great, and some amount of self discovery needs to be allowed, but I hope the leaders and parents can learn to guide the ones that need it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Well, this weekend I was able to do two things that I've wanted to do for a while now.

First I was able to squeeze one last canoe camping trip in before the snow falls here in Ontario. That's right Brian!... I wanted to get in a camping plug one last time before you plug your Florida trips all winter long! : I'm not jealous... I'm envious!

I headed north of Kingston Ontario for one final outing. The weather looked like it was going to be great for the most part, so I made my move. I took Thursday and Friday off work and headed out. Left home about 7:30, made it to the park about 10:00 ish to register, was on the water by about 11:00 and on my way! This was my second solo excursion, so I was pretty pumped. My daughter is my main canoe partner, but first year High School had her pretty busy and my little guy is a bit too small to take out this late in the season.

I was able to do a bit of hiking, and a bit of fishing. I caught a small Small Mouth bass, and my first ever Lake Trout.. The trout was cool to catch, but since catching this fish close to the surface knowing they prefer cold water had me a bit cautious. If Lake Trout are this close to the surface... it's probably to cold to be in. There was absolutely no body around this weeked... it was 100% vacant.

Here's a pic of the view from my site...

Secondly I was able to meet up quickly with a fellow fretter :
    Oh man, this is hurting me. I wanted so bad to get out on the river this weekend but it's so cold and I only have a sit-on-top kayak and no way to plug the scuppers yet. This winter I'mma design some type of cold weather system so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but as much as you are trying to dig on me all I have to do is remind you that we ain't got chiggers or hurricanes.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks but as much as you are trying to dig on me all I have to do is remind you that we ain't got chiggers or hurricanes.
    Remember, nowadays we're very PC and half of the latter are him-icanes.

Post Thanks / Like

Chiggers???!!! We don't got no stinking chiggers!!! Redbugs we do have, but not THAT bad.

I'll tell what we have seen in the past though, it's that white stuff, er ugh, what do you call it? Snow, yeah that's it. We have seen a snow flurry or two in the last 10 years or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up La Krashpadita's First Show!

With her old man.

Well, besides when she was a baby or toddler at outdoorsy things.

Friday night I got home from work to be notified my daughter (15) wanted to go to an early all-ages show at my fave local venue (same place I played last week). So I changed clothes, had something to eat, and off we went.

The show was a benefit for a school group helping those w/autism. My ex-bandmate Dave, the soundman there, gave her a pair of earplugs before I could make some out of a napkin or buy a pair. I introduced her to my friend Jen, the bartender (also a local musician, my band Crash Pad has played with her band many times over the years), and Dave first thing.

Dave actually had seen her last when she was a toddler or baby when we did the occasional band practice at my house back in the day. There were literally maybe 6 adults in the whole place (besides staff, which was Jen and Dave and a couple people on door) that stayed for any length of time. A group of another 7 or 8 people came in but I think they found it kind of awkward with all the high schoolers, so they stayed less than an hour. The rest of the adults besides me were a couple band members' parents and a couple regulars who are there a lot (apparently).

We had a good time.

Here is the flyer for the show:

This is the club:

As you can see, it's called 1982. I have yet to hear a good explanation why. It's street address is 919, so I know that ain't it.

This is the band Captain Fresh that played. They were our favorite band that night. In the pic they are playing onstage at 1982, but this is from some other show:

This is what the stage looks like. But the gear is from my side band when we played last week. The stage still looks the same.

This is my friend Jen. She tends bar there:

Here's us outside 1982:

Saturday morning I dropped Hannah Beth off at church for the usual Gator game car parking. I couldn't stay, as El Krashpadito was sick and needed to see a doctor. Supposedly a viral croupe. Took Jack home for a few hours, then we went back to church and helped pick up the parking cones.

Then back home again to listen to the Gator game. Today will be church and some yard work and NFL on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, it must be nice to live where you have so much to choose from. Yesterday morning I was attending the funeral of a neighbor lady that I grew up with her son. Then the wife and I took off for WV and she mall shopped while I went to the Route 60 Muisc Company , great store owner by singer & songwriter Paul Callicoat. We talked a little while he had so many customers and he lets me try out anything in this shop, bad case of GAS again. Today I changed the setup on my SX after Paul played it yesterday he said that he could tell something wasn't right in the bridge pickup. So I Pulled out and resoldered everything and that give it that pickup twice the volume. So i'm being lazy today, playing each of my guitars and the wife too.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a mighty fine looking 15 year old you have there! Glad to hear that you and her can go and share common interests. My older girl's birthday is Tuesday and she'll be the big "18". We've got a family surprise get-together planned this afternoon, so she'll be floored by that.

Tuesday night, the girls and I and one of Caraboo's friends are going out to eat at a "fancy eatin' place", as we redneck's call it, in Tallahassee. I may even have to wear a coat and tie, which I'm not looking forward to. (I hate ties, especially when I was in banking for 9 1/2 years and had to wear one every day.)

Anyway, sounds like you and baby girl had a good time. We'll probably have a hoot too. Later!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    Brian, it must be nice to live where you have so much to choose from. Yesterday morning I was attending the funeral of a neighbor lady that I grew up with her son. Then the wife and I took off for WV and she mall shopped while I went to the Route 60 Muisc Company , great store owner by singer & songwriter Paul Callicoat. We talked a little while he had so many customers and he lets me try out anything in this shop, bad case of GAS again. Today I changed the setup on my SX after Paul played it yesterday he said that he could tell something wasn't right in the bridge pickup. So I Pulled out and resoldered everything and that give it that pickup twice the volume. So i'm being lazy today, playing each of my guitars and the wife too.

Playing the wife too? :

Yeah, Gainesville is a really neat place. Not that I put much stock in such things, but a couple times in the last decade or so it's been voted (in Money magazine, iirc) the best city to live in in the US. For me it's the perfect combination, no major big city problems like rampant crime/gangs/drugs/traffic, etc. but still with museums and cultrual events and a music scene.

I went to college here for undergrad, took a year off to teach, came back for law school, and never left.

Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast