Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The weekend Thread - Page 84
Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 LastLast
Results 1,578 to 1,596 of 1620

Thread: The weekend Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Friday, home after work, get ready for skiing.

Saturday - Coached Freeride, worked with the high school group. It was extremely cold, but we prepared for the day and had a good one. I took some film of them for a little promo for the team. My son (I am very proud of him) is the kid in brown doing straight airs. The other two kids are in blue and orange respectively. The coaches are in red coats. Here is the little vid I made:

Sunday - called off Freeride as it was even colder (-16 at the base) with huge wind chill. Called parents, etc. Then got ready to watch the Seahawks, watched the game, then took my daughter ice skating at the local rink after it had warmed up a bit. I did play some guitar as well now and then over the weekend.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Saturday - Coached Freeride, worked with the high school group. It was extremely cold, but we prepared for the day and had a good one. I took some film of them for a little promo for the team. My son (I am very proud of him) is the kid in brown doing straight airs. The other two kids are in blue and orange respectively. The coaches are in red coats. Here is the little vid I made:
    That looks like a blast! Your son is lucky to grow up skiing in such a beautiful place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, we are pretty lucky to call this place home. That run is out in "The Bowls", a series of drainages descending from the ridge they were jumping off at the beginning of the vid. Really great skiing in there as you have both leeward and windward facing aspects, and sunny and shaded aspects, so you can find a variety of conditions. And it is just a playground out there. Ungroomed, bumps, powder, trees, fun!

I feel lucky to get to coach and ski with the kids too. It is fun to watch them develop into the little rippers (well, not so little any more) they are becoming.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Brr. I've lived in Florida too long for snow to look attractive.

Friday night, played a youth event called Real Life College Faith. For the first set I wore my leather jacket, but it was too hot to wear for the last group of two songs, the only ones our photog got:

Saturday morning I played a funeral at my old church, for the grandmother of our backing singer. We threw together 2 songs the night before. Purple had been her favorite color, so I wore a purple shirt and tie:

Then this morning I played our regular 11 o'clock service back at our church. 3 shows in under 48 hours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I finally finished the living room floor this weekend. The hallway is next, but I'm not in a big hurry.
    The far corner is where I'll be setting up my gear.

Saw Los Lobos last night. I'll post more in the Live Shows thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I mostly worked on Freeride Team and this:

This one has my other two kids in it. It is really fun to be able to work on this program with my kids and all the others, and hear all the laughs and see all the smiles.

Also went for a long skate ski (nordic) with my wife and the dog yesterday.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    This one has my other two kids in it. It is really fun to be able to work on this program with my kids and all the others, and hear all the laughs and see all the smiles.

Also went for a long skate ski (nordic) with my wife and the dog yesterday.

I love skiing with kids. You have more fun playing and exploring the fun sections that most adults don't even know are there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post

I love skiing with kids. You have more fun playing and exploring the fun sections that most adults don't even know are there.
    Absolutely. You see us in that vid in places that very few people go, but that are very fun. It is part of the training to teach kids the rules of how to go in those places safely. Buddy system, all pairs enter and exit terrain in auditory and visual contact, etc. And most importantly, only with an adult until they are much older.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Inlaws coming this Thursday, so I spent Saturday putting most of my CDs into the living room, where the stereo is, so the "media cupboard" in the family room (which has doors on it) would be more cleared out to put junky-looking stuff in.

Here's the CDs, where they are now in the living room:

Believe it or not, the albums are more or less in order. The top row or so is local/FL music, followed by a row or so of non-rock including world music, jazz, blues, etc. Rock and roll (Aerosmith to ZZ Top, literally) goes from the third row down to the floor. At the end of the alphabet (by group name or artist last name) are a batch of compilations (though some are interspersed through higher-up rows as well), and at the very end are slimline cases of burned CDs.

The burned CDs on the bottom row are still a hodgepodge, as they are a bit of a pain to alphabetize since there's nothing on the spines as yet, to allow one to read the title once shelved. I'll get to that eventually though! Here's the inside of the media cupboard in the family room, as it looked before I moved most of the CDs out. The vinyl albums on the bottom, and singles on the top right (plus the old Dr. Who VHS tapes, haha), are still in it:

Sunday I spent the morning in church, all 3 songs were rockers for a change. I played the new LP Special and she came through with flying colors. Back at Casa Krashpad, did laundry and more cleanup, watched the Super Bowl, and then a late night work session finishing up some research.

And y'all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a lotta' music, Walter.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    That's a lotta' music, Walter.

Haha, true dat. By my estimate, each row, except for the last one, that has the slimline cases, has about 70 CDs per row. At a minimum, that's 560 CDs (8 rows x 70 CDs /row). But the 2/3 of the bottom row, which is slimline cases (and I'm just guessing here), probably puts me easily over the 600 CD mark. Especially if one remembers that there's probably another 2 dozen slimline-cased burned CDs (if not 3 dozen) still in the family room media cupboard. It's kinda hard to be very exact (for example, I know that in some instances I made dupe copies of the burned CDs), but at any rate I have friends who have vinyl album collections that easily dwarf what's pictured!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We celebrated my Dad's 80th birthday at my brother's house.
    A highlight was seeing my nephew/brother's grandson/my father's great grandson. He's a chubby little square-headed thing, but cute!

Dad and his great grandson, Noah.

And his 80 birthday cake

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, he certainly doesn't look 80!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Boy, he certainly doesn't look 80!
    Thx. I guess all those past years of smoking, drinking, and too much sun didn't do much damage!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thread revived!

Nothing Friday.

Saturday I got a "health statement" from my insurer, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which contained a lot of indecipherable gobbledygook, so I called them, because it looks like they might be fixin to eff me over big time. Got no answers other than a confirmation that the appeal of the $30K hospital charges from last year's hyperbarics is still pending and has not been decided. Supposed to get a call back this morning at 11.

Also got confirmation from New Egg that they are finally sending my son the gaming computer he was supposed to get at Christmas. It came late due to weather, then crapped out within 24 hours, and then when we sent it back they gave us some bullshit that what we sent back had never been in their database, and they were going to send it back a second time, which we made very clear to them was totally unacceptable. Hopefully it'll arrive in the next couple days.

So there's that.

Saturday night went to dinner with the missus here:

Mrs. K's fellow school teacher friend met us, we bought her dinner, as her daughter is a recovering meth head who cleaned her out and can't get a job, because now she has a record.

Don't do drugs, kids.

Food was good but Mrs. K said to hell with her ulcer and regretted that later.

Sunday morning I played in church for the first time since before Christmas. I brought this and used it for the run through, but kept it as backup during the actual service:

Fishing through the backroom, I found this guitar that I forgot I'd left there, my Brownsville Choirboy. I hadn't played it in ages so I used it for the actual service:

Came home from church and watched a Liga MX match. First goal was esepecially good, a triple-header:

Here's the other one:

And you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Thread revived!

And you?
    Wow, it's been awhile!

Friday played an acoustic show with the band in the wine-bar section of a local music venue that we have played before. No pictures, but it was surprisingly fun. I don't consider us very acoustic-y, but it turned out well and of the people there when we started playing (~30?), I think all but like 5 people stayed the 2.5 hours of the show, and some others filtered in during the show. Given that we didn't know most of them, that was kind of amazing. Received some really positive feedback too, which was encouraging.

Saturday my wife and I went tobogganing at a local park that has a lift for the sleds while you walk up the stairs to the top. We went on that for an hour or so and got some lunch at a nearby brewpub. Went to a local show Saturday night for a guy and his Americana band that I know. They played second and the first two bands were great, but I left during the last band.

Sunday went to church in the morning and afterward went to a local acoustic jam meetup. That was reasonably fun, though next time I think I'm going to bring a bass and practice amp instead of another acoustic guitar. Went to a bar that night and watch a little bit of the pro bowl before heading home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Well, over/up here in Philly, we've been dealing with cold like we haven't had here in 20 years. Sustained cold that lasted long enough for the Delaware River to freeze over (3/4-1 mile wide where I work) and I can't remember the last time that happened. Plus, we've had more snow this year that the past few years for which my back is ticked off about.

Krash....sorry to hear that you're getting danced around with BC/BS. Didn't know Mrs. K had an ulcer. Sorry to hear about that as those can be troublesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nuttin' much. Sang a few covers and started making videos for them, fat bottom girls, another one bites the dust and fortunate son. Went ice-skating on the lake with family.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Nuttin' much. Sang a few covers and started making videos for them, fat bottom girls, another one bites the dust and fortunate son. Went ice-skating on the lake with family.
    I would really love to cover Killer Queen sometime, though I think I'm the only one in the band who has bothered to learn it so far. Another One Bites the Dust seems like it would be really difficult to pull off vocally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner