Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The weekend Thread - Page 63
Page 63 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,179 to 1,197 of 1620

Thread: The weekend Thread

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default School

I saw a show on TV the other day that ranked educational systems from different areas of the world. The object was to add perspective to where the US stands, compared to the competition, in general. We have our educational system problems here - decentralization, local funding, retirement plans, terminating teachers, abolition of tenure and union busting.

Anyway, according to the show I was watching, Finland has the highest rated schools of all the schools rated. I don't know what they were using as a measuring tool but the Finish system excelled above all others.

I thought that was interesting and made me think of you Dee. I guess I should say, "congratulations".

I have a Masters Degree in Education with a concentration in Geography and Cartography and have been a map maker. I have seen many of the problems in US schools first hand and have been disgusted by many of them. There is a lot of fraudulent activity taking place that is being called education. There are also some really great educational endeavors taking place here. There is no continuity in educational systems and almost all educational systems are local endeavors, with oftentimes school board members not even having high school equivalency diplomas. Additionally in many areas there are local anti education movements afloat, as counterproductive as that may seem. There are even orchestrated efforts at the National level to defund specific educational programs and limit opportunities. It is ridiculous but it's happening and most people probably don't know anything about it. The state of US Education is taken for granted by many and oftentimes they think that the US has the best educational system in the World. Ignorance of the law is, of course, no excuse.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes Finland has been quite at the top in these school rankings for a long long time, when it comes to primary & secondary school...I suppose it's because of a couple of things: we're a small country where all the schools are strictly state controlled and funded - actually even way too strictly, meaning that nearly every year we receive updated goals that pretty accurately explain what does every student have to achieve in any given subject/class/course and such...it's very taxing for teachers also as they keep changing the goals/evaluation etc. a lot, but certainly keeps us on our toes.

Also, most people go through Upper Secondary School, which is three years of hard reading, ending in written exams that take two weeks and where you need to be able to write lengthy essays on basically anything studied, the issues are secret every year and it's a big thing people read like crazy for to get good grades.

Of course, a lot of people want to excel in those because also University studies, like all schools, are completely free of charge for everyone, also foreign students, and there's a lot of competition to get to many fields of study. I also spent three years just trying to get in to study at the Uni. But once you're in, you get free housing, living money, plus government-backed loan if you want more luxuries in life while studying.

Besides that, teachers here, I guess everywhere but especially here, they tend to be extra, erm, shall we say, trustworthy and take things like work duties to heart very personally and won't let things slide one bit. The schooling is long, usually at least 17 years of schooling in total, and the training really drives in things like sense of responsibility for people's learning etc.

But, from highschool grades onward, I don't think we fare so well, there's no universities ranking that high up or well known...most really great students want to go abroad to complete/add to their studies, to same well-known international one.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quiet here of late, huh?

Not quite weekend but a holiday anyway, plus I have my summer vacation now. Went to kick some ball and watch ski jumping!

Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's a fun car I also saw:
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

'Bout time for another weekend, so I figured I'd save up.

I just got back from vacation this past Monday. Went to Croatia for a couple of weeks to fiddle around a bit and tour some cities and coastal areas. I have some pictures somewhere, but haven't really gotten around to sorting through them yet. I haven't tended to be much of a traveler in the past, so it was pretty cool for me. Croatia sure seems like it's the place to be if you're a German on vacation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Quiet here of late, huh?
    Not quite weekend but a holiday anyway, plus I have my summer vacation now. Went to kick some ball and watch ski jumping!
    That's cool. I've loved ski flying/jumping since I was little. Fascinating sport!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just need to mention one thing still...they're running an ad campaign on TV for HTC Desire S phones...but, I don't know, probably intentionally they've let this slide...see, the letter 'S' is pronounced in Finnish '***', exactly like that.

So the ad becomes quite ridiculous to anyone with a passing understanding of English I think...it just says over and over...Htc...desire ***...desire ***...I find it hilarious...:-)

EDIT: the damned system won't let me write what means a donkey...it should be a*s*s* I didn't even think it was a foul word really. What's the PC term for it? Hiney? Rear? Seems excessive to me. I mean, I can understand editing the F word or the C words etc. but just plain ol' donkey a double ess seems excessive to me.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

We're more uptight over here Dee. Or at least our computers are.

Had a big weekend. Both sets of (grand)parents (meaning my parents and my inlaws) came in Friday evening and hung around Casa Krashpad.

Saturday, the 'rents, plus some assorted cousins of our kids (my sister's family) came over to Casa Krashpad for brunch. Then we all went over to graduation for my daughter Hannah in the early afternoon. Here's some pics of her and Mrs. Krashpad:

After the ceremony we all went back to Casa Krashpad for dinner, and were joined by the family of an old college buddy (and my magazine editor) in addition to the relatives. We had lots of fun and stayed up late. Hannah went out bowling with some classmates at 11 p.m. to celebrate, and got back well after 2 a.m.

Sunday I had to get up and play the new summer single service at church. Since we have 2 services the rest of the year, it gets pretty packed during the summer when we combine them. My son came up to the choir loft to watch our opening song and said the organist (church's Music Director) was giving me the stink-eye during my outro solo. Sigh.

Went home for lunch but then started packing/planning for the concert First Things First (the church band that'd just played that morning) was giving along with another church's band at their church in a neighboring town. Got there about 4:15 for a load-in/soundcheck and a 6:00 p.m. start. Did soundcheck with my T-60 and I totally sucked. Everything was crap, my playing, the relative volumes between the amp channels, etc. I got spooked so I switched guitars for our set and used Ruby, my DeArmond Jet Star. The set was just really fantastic, it was so cool to play to people who clapped and sang along on a stage that could actually accomodate us. Afterward we all had some food and everyone there was really nice.

Here's a shot from soundcheck:

A shot (obviously with flash, they darkened the hall and had nice stage lighting) during the set:

The kids were trying to talk me into playing a solo behind my head, but the prerecorded mulitmedia intro had a bunch of stuff about how "it's not about me" and doing a behind-head solo would've been real awkward after that.

I did a knee-drop instead.

More worshipful.

And you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's been crazy warm for this time of year, all week it's been at 30C or so, so we've been out a lot. Went to this children's traffic park with the kids - it's a mini city where kids can drive around 'streets' with pedal cars and there's real road signs and rules, lanes and all, even some traffic lights.

Since it's so warm water is also past 20C already in places, some people even swim already (here's the city centre pond next to the traffic park):

The only downside to summer is it can be hard to get to bed because it's so light outside; this was taken around 11PM on my yard, the sun was just on the horizon behind me...it's about as dark as it gets at night now.

Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's a peek at what I've been building the last 3 days now case someone's interested...trying to make a 'guest room' for the cottage so I can accomodate more than 4 people nicely at once:

https://picasaweb.google.com/aepheik...CN7c8L3P_f2aCQ
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Wow, I wish I were handy Dee. In the States they'd probably have all sorts of paperwork and gov't approvals before you could do any work like that.

Had a slow weekend. Saturday I mowed the front yard, son went to stay overnight at a friend's and didn't call us about when to pick him up, scrapping our plans to go to the springs the next day. Not only that, but he ended up a different friend's house, whom he knew we did not want him to visit (the "friend" knew this too and invited him anyway), without asking for permission or even telling us where he was going. He's got a week's restriction as a result.

Skipped church since I wasn't playing yesterday for a rare change. Did laundry and some "office" work at home during the afternoon while watching the Gator baseball game (they qualified for the College World Series! ), while the girls shopped for college dorm stuff for daughter.. Sunday night had a practice with my main punk rock band, Crash Pad, at my office. Rhythm guitarist didn't show, but it was still a good practice because my voice held out over the drummer and our guitars at stage volumes. So now I can book gigs knowing it can be done.

Today a photo from last week's "Night of Worship" concert surfaced on facebook, of me doing the "knee-drop" solo:

And you?

Post Thanks / Like

Hai kids.

New interview of me is up on a punk rock blog at

http://punkrock77thrutoday.blogspot....interview.html

Also, a friend of mine is scanning through a bunch of photos that a mutual late friend of ours took back in the '90's, so now there are a bunch of young and skinny (as opposed to current old and skinny) pics of me up on facebook, album is here, I'm tagged in ones I'm in:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4450.512071149

Had friends over to Casa Krashpad Friday night.

Saturday had church band practice in morning, watched Toy Story 3 for the first time, on Netflix with son. Went out to an EPIC 5-band show that had 2 bands I have old friends in. Saw TONS of people I've known over the years. One was the co-owner of the club (which is closing next weekend), who was very nice even though Crash Pad does a song called "Nigel Book Us, Dammit."

Wrote 3/4 of a new song for Crash Pad, called Chemo Brain. Just need one more verse. Played 3 songs in church Sunday, a batch of people actually came up to me afterward and asked if I was the fellow playing guitar (we're stuck up in a choir loft at the back of the church, so it's almost impossible to see us when we play) and said they liked the music.

Watched "Revenge of the Nerds" with my son, and "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" with my daughter.

And you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Again not weekend...on holiday it all seems like weekend to me though.

Past few days, put in new laminate flooring and sideboards for the entire main floor. Lotsa work. Here's a cellcam video:

Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got a nice weekend her where the wind isn't howling and there is no threat of storms and the temperature is above 70 F. I did a bike ride out in the country.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful day here. My boys and I are going to see the local Class A baseball team play tonight. Go Timber Rattlers!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Last night I went out to a show, not even to write it up, for the second weekend in a row. Some old acquaintances of mine, whom Crash Pad used to gig with, had a reunion show after 6 years. They play ska-punk, which Gainesville is pretty famous for due to Less Than Jake. This band is/was called the Busdrivers, their music is available here:

Anyhow, it was a great time. They had a fantastic set, two of the guys played in drag, and all the guys in the band wore costumes of sorts, and I saw more peeps I hadn't seen in a long time. There was actually a line outside for awhile until some people left. One of the Busdrivers' horn players got married today, and all the wedding party was there last night, so it was especially festive. While waiting outside early I hung out with my buddy Ed and his gal Christina, who run a cool internet radio station:

http://www.anarchy-1.com

While outside some girl in line covered in tats said "Brian Krashpad!" and so I said hi and nodded as if I had the slightest idea who she is. Which I didn't. Sigh. The combination of having been in bands locally for the last 30 years, being 52, and having chemo brain result in this happening a lot. Although it happened before the chemo too, then I just didn't have an excuse, ha! Once inside another guy who at least looked familiar said "Brian?" When it was clear I couldn't place him either, he said "It's Kyle from One Pump Chump!" OPC was a band that used to gig with Crash Pad and the Busdrivers.

So anyhow that was fun, despite dealing with my rapidly waning powers of recollection.

Today was the usual church band practice, after discovering that the van's battery had died. So I went in daughter's car. After practice I went to Sam's Club for some groceries since my wife (and son) will be away next week on a mission trip to NYC. After returning home I fell asleep watching a John Wayne movie, then had some pasta for dinner, and after dinner I mowed the front lawn.

Tomorrow will be playing in church, then two band practices in the evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This morning took a short boat trip around the island our cottage is on (it's really barely a true island, only separated by a river-like stretch over which goes a road you can just about drive under in a boat:

In FullHD where bandwidth available...just some lake sceneries.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

My Sunday adventures started on the mundane side, I mowed the yard. Then I hopped aboard my trusty ol' mountain bike and climbed 3,000 feet so that I could do this incredibly fun downhill, actually two incredibly fun downhills. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the downhills...I was having too much fun.

This is a view of my town from the saddle below the summit. The road that you can see on the right is what I came up, and that is the flattest section. It's a real burner of a climb.

The white domed building in the center is the sports arena at Idaho State University.

And the beautiful wilderness beyond. I often see moose, deer and an occasional mountain lion. On the second downhill today I had to yell at a mink to get off the trail.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    My Sunday adventures started on the mundane side, I mowed the yard. Then I hopped aboard my trusty ol' mountain bike and climbed 3,000 feet so that I could do this incredibly fun downhill, actually two incredibly fun downhills. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the downhills...I was having too much fun.
    Awesome! What a great place to live.

Page 63 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast