Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What do you want?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you want?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you want?

As I get older I feel like I've got just about all the stuff I want. I've probably for sure got more than I need.

The reason I bring this up is that as birthdays and holidays come around people get me gifts that are often useless or a waste of money. Most of the time I'd just prefer some Haribo gummy bears or a big bag of pistachio nuts or better yet take me to dinner.

Have you gotten to this point too? If so what other things would you like as presents for your birthday or Christmas? What do you get folks that already have everything? What do you want?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I give people money to do with whatever they want. I like getting money too but I often hint for gifts like video games and DVDs etc. I love getting restaurant gift cards.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on, you KNOW what I want...!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

The only material things I want are too expensive to ask for.

Victory Vegas
    BMW 5 Series
    Extension on the house
    New master bath

stuff like that

I'll ask for a guitar and amp for Christmas though.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno bout my wants and needs, I think I could make a healthy list...my problem is I never know what to get anybody!

For example:
    My lil cousin had her 13th birthday on Saturday, so I went shopping...after going to 3 different stores I began to realize, Im so out of touch with what 13 y.o. girls want...so I gave up and stuffed her b-day card with a $20:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies
    The only material things I want are too expensive to ask for.
    See. That's what I mean. Family or friends will get you something that you don't really desire or need and the stuff that you really do want is out of reach for a gift situation.

Sorry the bears and worms I got you on your B-day weren't Haribo
    Haribo is the Champagne of gummy bears. All gummy bears are good - some are just better.

Post Thanks / Like

i usually ask the kids to make me a card (much better than a store bought one) and usually request music dvds or cds....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer gift cards to actual gifts. Amazon gift cards usually work well as a gift for me so I can then buy whatever books and/or music I am craving at that particular time.

I do have one friend who always manages to pick great books for me as gifts, but we've been friends for 10 years and I used to live with him so he knows my tastes pretty well at this point. Aside from him and my wife, gift cards are the best idea for other folks to get for me, unless someone wants to buy me a Telecaster which would be just fine.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    See. That's what I mean. Family or friends will get you something that you don't really desire or need and the stuff that you really do want is out of reach for a gift situation.
    I pulled a fast one on everyone last year. I felt very selfish but I REALLY wanted to do some kayaking this summer.

Every year for my birthday, family members come out of the woodwork and I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say if everyone bought me a 20-50 buck *something* - in the end I got over $1000 in useless birthday knick knacks that are, and I feel bad to say it, but for lack of a better word, stupid.

Last year I said in no uncertain terms that all I wanted was this particular kayak (Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12.5 Sit-on-top for those interested) and nothing else. I spread the word and at the end, everyone put a few bucks forth to my girlfriend and she took me to pick it out one day.

I felt really selfish until I took it for a spin on sunday morning at 7am on the james river just as the sun crested the mountains.

EDIT to add I put about $200 towards it myself so I'm not THAT much of a selfish jerk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Come on, you KNOW what I want...!
    No doubt everyone with or without GAS even would also want a Suhr Fender
    be a nice add fer sure
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

well, you can't go wrong with money because when you see something you like you can buy it if you dont know what to get at the time.

or if the person knows you well enough they could get you something of a joke or just a a value that that item represents.

pes_laul Guest

one of these

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    one of these

See, that would be one of those stupid waste of money gifts that I was talking about. I'd never use that...sober.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    one of these

Hey you guys could haul that around in that van you guys were lookin at,kind of a spare,at least it has a cooler and not a catheter.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tend to want "gear" type things that are luxuries for a Dad type. Things that go with my guitar, bicycling, ski habits, or books, cd's, dvd's, etc. I have asked for homebrew supplies also. I am seeing my brother from Seattle this weekend and I asked for a Seattle beer care package that has in it beers I can't get out here in the intermountain west. (We have great geography and scenery out here, but the locals taste in beer just does not add up). Or just some dough so I can go pick those things out myself. But those are definitely wants and not needs. I guess "treats" are what are on my birthday and Christmas list. For instance, I know I don't need another pedal at this point, but I will prolly figure one out to put on my Christmas list. But an enjoyable experience with friends and family would be just as good.

P.S. Glad to know you like Gummy Bears on your B-day. Sorry the bears and worms I got you on your B-day weren't Haribo.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I am hard to shop for because all I am really interested in is guitar related (expensive and guitar related) and I wouldn't want anyone spending that kind of money on me anyway. My parents usually carry out some project on my house for me. Paint a room, strip old wallpaper, stuff that I'm too lazy to do. I feel sorry for my wife because she has to be more creative than that.
    Patrick

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Most of the time I'd just prefer some Haribo gummy bears or a big bag of pistachio nuts or better yet take me to dinner.
    Well, there goes that surprise.

I may not have everything I want, but I do have everything I need.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to go to this waterfall in SouthAmerica and lean back against it and it just holds you there and listen to the jungle noises.Is it Jan. yet,cause that's when I'm going for 2 mths.Sorry I have short timers disease.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

What I really want is to be locked up in an all female corrections facility with a fistful of pardons.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast