Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
ugh

Thread: ugh

Post Thanks / Like

Default ugh

Is it possible to actually break a pot by pulling the speed knob off a les paul? I wired in my pickups a few days ago and the guitar plays great and most importantly, sounds good too. Today I got my new speedknobs in, and after I put them on I plugged up and nope. No sound at all. Chcked my solder joints, even resoldered them, no luck. Plugged directly into the amp to make sure. Tried the amp with another guitar, and it works. Ugh. Any ideas? I am going to be beyond pissed off if I have to get 4 new pots because I probably cant do all that myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked the resistance of the pots with a multimeter?
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

If the whole guitar is dead then check the wires to the output jack. All the pots wouldn't die. Besides just tugging on them won't remove the wiper from the pan. Your problem is most likely a connection somewhere either the switch or jack.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a multimeter in my hand. The it has a wheel on it where I can choose what I want. The settings are as follows:

Off
    ACV - 250 (1kv), 100, 25, 10 (these numbers are red)
    Ohm symbol - RX1k, RX100, RX10, RX1 (these are black)
    DCmA - 5, 50, 500 (black)
    DCuA - 50, 500 (black)
    DCV - 250 (1kv), 100, 25 , 10, 2.5, 1, .25 (black)

I assume I need to check with the RX setting, but I am not sure which number.

I will tell you that if I need to do RX100 and touch red to the live section and black to the ground (pot), every single pot sweeps the needle over to the 0 setting.

Tell me what settings to try, and I will go measure it. To be honest I do not even know what I am looking for. I just use this thing to stick in a wall socket to see if there is power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    If the whole guitar is dead then check the wires to the output jack. All the pots wouldn't die. Besides just tugging on them won't remove the wiper from the pan. Your problem is most likely a connection somewhere either the switch or jack.
    All of those connections are fine. The guitar was working perfectly until today when I installed new knobs. When I went to play it, the amp is dead. Both amps, actually. And there is no effects of anything, straight guitar into amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    All of those connections are fine. The guitar was working perfectly until today when I installed new knobs. When I went to play it, the amp is dead. Both amps, actually. And there is no effects of anything, straight guitar into amp.

Well I say they are fine as in they do not look broken, all the wires are where they should be....I took the input jack out too just to make sure it was still soldered in.

Post Thanks / Like

IF you hook up the multimeter and turn a pot and see action on the meter then your pots are good.

If you unplug the cord and touch the end when the amp is on do you get a hum? If you do then the problem lies in getting signal out of the guitar.

You might have cracked a solder joint. You wouldn't see it but if you open up the back and start tracing connections you'll find out the issue in no time. You are probably going to be surprised at what it is. Otherwise you've got a broken wire somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    IF you hook up the multimeter and turn a pot and see action on the meter then your pots are good.

If you unplug the cord and touch the end when the amp is on do you get a hum? If you do then the problem lies in getting signal out of the guitar.

You might have cracked a solder joint. You wouldn't see it but if you open up the back and start tracing connections you'll find out the issue in no time. You are probably going to be surprised at what it is. Otherwise you've got a broken wire somewhere.
    The tone pots dont move at all really. I dunno if thats normal.

The bridge volume works, it goes to 0 and then if i turn the vol down to 0 it goes back to 5. That is with the setting on RX1000

The neck switch never goes to 0, and stays around 5. Even if I turn it, it will not move.

Sound like a bad pot?

Yes the amp pops if I touch the cord.

Post Thanks / Like

Than you guys for the suggestions!

I ended up just stripping the wire again, and resoldering. That iddnt work, so I got pissed off and just soldered all over the ground and the neutral wire. That fixed the problem,

The ohm meter thing was really cool!

Post Thanks / Like

(sigh) of relief.
    Good thing you got it fixed, but guess what? One of my pickups went dead in my brand new guitar. It just opened up. No continuity through the windings at all. Bizarre. I'm trying to get a replacement for it. I wish my situation was as easy to solve as yours was.

Post Thanks / Like

Than you guys for the suggestions!

I ended up just stripping the wire again, and resoldering. That iddnt work, so I got pissed off and just soldered all over the ground and the neutral wire. That fixed the problem,

The ohm meter thing was really cool!
    Had me scared when I read this..................................whew!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Throw that solder away and buy good quality silver solder... try Micro-Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhhhhh nice:

Now if they made it for old men:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Solder suggestion!

Actually what I did at around 8pm didnt fix it at all. It was temporary. It went out at about 1230 again. So I just un-soldered everything, cleaned it all up (with the braid) and steel wool, stripped the wires, got a new connection, and soldered the ground and the neutral wire in separate places on the pot instead of together. Its been playing great now.

I am going to do some replacing of pickups in my strat next, so Ill get me some better solder before I go through that ordeal.

Here is the finished product (well almost)

Changes:
    - all black plastic parts (was cream)
    - black knobs (was gold)
    - dimarzio evo 158 neck (was gibson hb-r)
    - dimarzio d sonic bridge (was gibson hb-l)
    - dimarzio clip lock things for the strap (best strap out there imo)
    - droped the action, set up guitar for CFBbEbGC

The only thing I cant do at this moment is the tuners. It has some .339 diameter holes, so I cant put sperzels because they are 10mm holes. So at this time I am kind of confused on the tuning situation. I do know that the tuners suck

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket, do you have to use the flux with that solder? I thought solder usually had flux in it?

What about this stuff - http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=60664

seems easier to apply

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, don't know... haven't used it.