Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Selecting Effects..

Thread: Selecting Effects..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Selecting Effects..

Being new to guitar, I know very little about selecting the right effects pedals, or what they even do. Of course I understand the basics, such as wah, distortion, etc. But there are a sea of these things out there! Guess what I am trying to ask is this. Which effects are critical and should be in every guitar players arsenal? I play alot of acoustic rhythm stuff as well as some lead. Mostly blues, but I like to rock as well.
    What about acoustic effects versus lead effects? If you were limited to only having say, 3 pedals/effects, what would you select and why? I realize this is a pretty general question, but just looking for input to help me narrow down & weed through the endless sea of gadgets available. Im kinda using you guys as a focus group!

Koy Carson
    West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
    **Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
    **Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
    **Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
    **Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
    **Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
    **Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
    **Tradition Fretless Bass
    **Takamine Hollow body Bass

http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

The "PickKeeper" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory
    Last edited by k5koy; October 18th, 2008 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For the acoustic stuff, I'd leave the effects to a bare minumum if you're playing blues, maybe a touch of reverb.

My Digitech multieffects pedal fried about a year ago, and I never bothered to replace it. For blues and country playing, I don't miss it. I dial in just a little reverb and fiddle with the EQ knobs on the amp for the rest. Works good for me!

If I was to build a pedalboard these days, it would contain something like a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive for a little extra boost when needed, a chorus pedal (used sparingly), a delay unit (again used sparingly at low levels), and maybe a Crybaby wah.

Or, if you want to go the "handmade, boo-teek" route, our own DuhVoodooMan can help you out there for less than the other "boo-teek" pedal builders out there.

Keep in mind, though, that effects tend to drown out mistakes and muddy up your playing, and that's not necessarily good if you're just starting out.

I'd recommend keeping what ya got for now, and practice using a very clean setting on the amp. That can be boring, but it will payoff in the long run.

If you use effects, don't be heavy handed with them, and just use them to add a little color to your tone.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kat! That sounds like good advice. Heres a follow up question:

I have seen some guys using loopers for practicing different lead solos, so I will ask you, do you use one of these? If so, which one do you have versus which one you wish you had...LOL

Koy Carson
    West Texas

**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use or have a looper, but I hear that they are really cool.

Here's a thread on the subject: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ghlight=looper

Hopefully, Robert and the others will chime in on their experiences!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Kat!
    That link you provided is pushing me toward the edge of the wallet emptying cliff! I'll see who else chimes in to help me decide which direction to jump!
    From what I read in that post, its an indespensable tool to get those creative juices flowing.

Koy Carson
    West Texas

**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

The direction I took with pedals is not the most popular here, but a have an RP350

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RP350

I'm relatively knew to the guitar and I didn't want the hassle of buying pedals and not being satisfied with the results certain ones would give me. Using the RP350 provides me with a lot of options and when I start to discover "my sound" I will look at a pedal or pedals that do a better job of providing it.

As for loopers, I have the JAMMAN, but admittidly I have not used it to its potential. I had it up for sale, but was convienced it was a bad move. JAMMAN is made by Digitech, Boss has at least one looper also. If I'm not mistaken, SVL has a Boss.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k5koy
    Which effects are critical and should be in every guitar players arsenal? I play alot of acoustic rhythm stuff as well as some lead. Mostly blues, but I like to rock as well.
    I don't know if there is any effect that needs to be in every arsenal. The closest I would think would be some sort of Tube Screamer or clean boost pedal, regardless of whether you're using it for tone shaping, to push an already overdriven amp, or for a solo boost (or all of the above). The only effect I use regularly is either a little delay or reverb. As I grow older, it seems that the signal's getting drier
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I'm relatively knew to the guitar and I didn't want the hassle of buying pedals and not being satisfied with the results certain ones would give me. Using the RP350 provides me with a lot of options and when I start to discover "my sound" I will look at a pedal or pedals that do a better job of providing it.
    I agree with Strum here about the usefulness of multi-effects units for a relative newbie to guitar. When I first started I bought a Digitech GNX-1 used from a friend (for a VERY discounted price). By using that I was able to get a much better idea of what effects did what and which ones I wanted to then find real versions of in individual pedals. I have a separate wah and a separate distortion pedal and I now use the GNX-1 as a volume pedal. A decent multi-effects unit is a great place to learn which effects are right for you.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

hands down ...Delay

I feel delay is probably the most important pedal. you can add reverb-like ambiance that adds a richness to the sound, slapback for rockabilly and country type licks,soloing echos for a more rock-like sound,edge or brian may type repeats. as a pre delay (before distortion) you can get the Pat Travers type note doubling..if you can get overdrive from an amp and could only have one pedal.Delay would be the most essential basic need as far as I see it

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm coming back with another endorsement for the RP350. Since I finally got the USB cable (thanks bigoldron) I have been using the X software from the Digitech site (thanks plaid shorts Warren) that has enhanced the enjoyment immensely. To be able to sit and make adjustments with the laptop, save the ones I like on m hard drive makes using it easy and convenient.

There are so many settings that I wasn't aware of and it's nice to try them out and make the adjustments on the fly instead of pushing buttons and waiting for the various effects to light up as I page through my options. Drop down screens makes it nice, since I am able to see all or most of my selections.

There are more out there than the RP350, I can only comment on the one I have. This unit runs around $200, I got mine for $160 new off e-bay (mine didn't have Cubase software). There is one on e-bay right now for a BIN price of $172 with software

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITECH-RP-350-RP350-MULTI-EFFECT-PROCESSOR-USB-CUBASE_W0QQitemZ270288165030QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em270288165030&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|6 5%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I would look at other models as well before buying.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/what-guitar-pedal.php

A little wirte up on DolphinStreet for you to have a look at...
    Cheers
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

A looper pedal is the best investment for learning the guitar. I have the RC-2 and absolutly love it. Do a search on either RC-2 or RC-20.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I just get them all. Nothing hides poor playing and technique better than a generous slathering of unnecessary effects.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    Nothing hides poor playing and technique better than a generous slathering of unnecessary effects.
    that's sig material right there folks!! :

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Koy,

I checked out E-bay last night and the price of used Boss ME-50's has dropped by about $60 and can be had for $150.

That was the unit I wanted to buy, but $210 was the lowest price they were selling for at the time.

I believe Wingsdad has one.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Since I play jazz or whatever you want to call it, I don't use that many effects. I'll sometimes use some chorus and delay. I have Lexicon MPX-110 that I use for just a Hall reverb setting. I trigger distortion, chorus, or delay using a Boss ME-50. I also have a ton of pedals that I don't use anymore. I used to have a good many pedals in my chain, but not anymore. The Boss ME-50 has all the effects I need, but no unit can produce a convincing reverb other than Lexicon. This is an area Lexicon excels in. I also use a Line 6 DL4 for short loops and for longer loops I'll hook up a Boss Loopstation or Electro-Harmonix Memory Man With Hazarai.

I can't really tell anyone how to setup their effects, because everyone is different. You might like a sound that I don't like and vice versa, so it's always better to just experiment with your tone and keep trying to get it cleaner.

That's my whole goal is to find the cleanest effects as possible so they don't do anything but add color to the tone and give it more body. I can bypass all of my effects and my tone is still there. You have to start with two things your guitar and your amplifier. That's the starting point. If you don't have a good tone with no effects added, then you're not going to get a good tone with the effects. I think this is something that people forget about a lot. They just start hooking up pedals and the problem is that their tone isn't that good to begin with. It all starts with the guitar and amplifier you are using.

Good luck in your search for tones.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    Lexicon and Eventide, any piece of effects gear you can find from those 2 companys are worth having.

Post Thanks / Like

Koy,

I checked out E-bay last night and the price of used Boss ME-50's has dropped by about $60 and can be had for $150.

That was the unit I wanted to buy, but $210 was the lowest price they were selling for at the time.

I believe Wingsdad has one.
    Thanks Strum. I have an ME50-B Its the bass effects pedal. Its ok, and fun to play with, but youve actually got to bend down and select different effects manually by turning knobs and adjusting switches. In fact, I will probably sell it to fund some guitar stuff....My Bass setup is pretty good...

Koy Carson
    West Texas

**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
    **Digitech JamMan