Thread: Kerosene Heaters

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kerosene Heaters

In the past I have found myself out in the cold garage working on either a car or my tractor (previously tractors). The last two years I used what could be described as a space heater, which meant as long as I was in front of it and relatively close, I was warm (at least one side of me).

This year I would like to warm the entire garage and was wondering if anyone uses portable heaters to heat their garage or even their home. I have a two car, high ceiling garage and was thinking about something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90139

I don't want to install a gas line and a separate furnace. These seem economical for the minimal time I am out there.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Strum,

I have the exact same heater that I bought several years ago as a backup heating source for when the power goes out in the winter. Have also used it a couple of years ago when my furnace needed a replacement part....in January of course..... that took two weeks to arrive.

It does a decent job of heating the area it's in. Had the temp in my house up to 70 degrees in no time. There is a slight odor when it's first lit and when you turn it off, but it doesn't last long. Once it got going, I could get heat for about 10 hours on a full tank.

The thing is HEAVY empty or full and awkward to carry.....at least for a vertically challenged female like myself. But it does a GREAT job and has paid for itself over the years that I have successfully used it : I think you would be pleased with it as a heat source.

YMMV

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

what is this "heater" thing you speak of.... :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Kerosene is a fairly safe fuel to handle and store, but you could always consider an electric.
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

Doesn't have quite the backup capabilities for power outages, but it certainly would be quick and easy to use.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Gal
    It does a decent job of heating the area it's in. Had the temp in my house up to 70 degrees in no time. There is a slight odor when it's first lit and when you turn it off, but it doesn't last long. Once it got going, I could get heat for about 10 hours on a full tank.

The thing is HEAVY empty or full and awkward to carry.....at least for a vertically challenged female like myself. But it does a GREAT job and has paid for itself over the years that I have successfully used it : I think you would be pleased with it as a heat source.
    I read where it is heavy (about 35 lbs empty) and they say to lite it and turn it off outside to avoid the smell, but I wouldn't want to carry it when lit and I certainly wouldn't want to carry it after it heats up. Since it's mainly for the garage, the smell is not a big deal. In the house it would only be used for an emergency such as you noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    I believe Kerosene is a fairly safe fuel to handle and store, but you could always consider an electric.

Doesn't have quite the backup capabilities for power outages, but it certainly would be quick and easy to use.
    I have an electric floor model about that size and it doesn't warm up a room the size of a garage and it sucks up energy.

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    what is this "heater" thing you speak of.... :

ww
    Shut up. I will only invite you up to Ohio to jam during the winter and then you will know what this "heater" thing is and you will be glad I have one. :
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Shut up. I will only invite you up to Ohio to jam during the winter and then you will know what this "heater" thing is and you will be glad I have one. :
    fair enough....and i will invite you down here in mid august to jam....then you'll see what "heat" (and humidity) really is!! :

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Strum, I use to have one that I kept in my dog kennel and it was fine at that time. They are alright if you have good ventlation you do have to make sure the wick is in good shape.