Thread: Teenage Head

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teenage Head

http://www.teenagehead.ca/

To just say I was a huge fan of this band back in the 80's would be an understatement... I lived and breathed this straight up - high output rock and roll! 'Frantic City' will always be one of my all time favourite albums. If I ever need to pick myself up I just play along to one of ther tunes and I've got an instant grin from ear to ear. They recently started touring again and from the clips I thought that the vocals were lacking. Well, it turns out the Frankie Venom (Kerr) was battling throat cancer and passed just after Thankgiving.

Disgusteen, Infected, Picture My Face, Let's Shake... All near and dear to me.

Thanks for listening

Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

"Frantic City" was my intro to punk. I wore that cassette (yeah, I said it - cassette) out and it was a staple at many a house and bush party. Anyone who has to ask what a bush party is needs to come to Saskatchewan

Sad to see Frank go, especially from something as sh%tty as cancer. A flaming motorcycle wreck with one finger in the air would seem more appropriate, but that's how it goes.

The music lives on, if only here in the Great White North. Do yourselves a favour and check out some Teenage Head. You won't be disappointed.

RIP Frankie RIP :
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I'm not in the Great White North, but am a fan, though I don't know enough about them or have as much of their music as I'd like.

The original bassist in a band I was in in the early 90's was into them. She had covered Picture My Face, and gave me a copy of her band's version. Iirc she later gave me a copy of the original and some other TH songs on cassette.

Post Thanks / Like

Picture My Face (For Brian)

A clip from a local morning show about a year and a half ago. I guess the Boys were just starting to get out there and do shows again.

It's good to see a few folks around here remember Teenage Head who come from Helliot's home town of Hamilton Ontartio.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, very sad to lose him at such a young age. He was a local character and very genuine guy. And The Head are rock icons in these parts, and should be better known than they are.
    Guitarist Gordie Lewis blogs on my paper's music site, Jamilton. His blog hasn't been too active, but a couple of posts have turned into Frankie tribute books. If you'd like to read or post a thought for Frankie, go to jamilton.typepad.com/gordielewis/, or to thespec.com, click on arts and entertainment and then Jamilton.
    I'm very proud that our town turns out some great musicians: Dan Lanois, Ian Thomas, Kathleen Edwards, Colin Cripps, Tom Wilson (Blackie and the Rodeo Kings and formerly Junkhouse), Jackie Washington, studio axe wizard Bill Dhillon and many others. Let's not forget King Biscuit Boy (among greatest blues harpists) , and that The Band pretty much came together as The Hawks here in The Hammer. But Teenage Head is right at the front of the line. Great hard-rocking, totally genuine band and players. They kinda epitomize the city.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you around for this post Helliot... I was thinking of you and what great Ambassador's the Head were for the city of Hamilton, good honest R&R.

Thanks for the link for your paper... lot's of good stuff in there!

Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for turning me on to them Algonquin. I believe I had heard them or saw them on TV sometime long ago, but I had long forgotten if I truly had. Too bad about Frank. But thanks for posting the tunes!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson