Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Strat

Thread: New Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Strat

Classic Player 60s with a Motor City Pickups' Torque model in the bridge position. I've had it about 6 weeks now... something like that. Here it is:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow that looks awesome. Nice!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks; plays like a dream. I had the fingerboard PLEK'd too; very happy with this guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet guitar! Whats up with the middle knob?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Looks wonderful : how does this bridge pickup sounds like, I'm curious about it
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

That is one beautiful guitar!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could see the picture. Stupid proxy server at work stripped it
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Todd, how does it sound compared to your other strats? I'm fishing for a good strat myself.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

The middle knob is temporary - it's from Stew-Mac and is an 'ivroid Tele'-type knob. I didn't care for the more golden/yellow/tan ones that came on it stock, but I didn't have a matching set in parchment, etc. I have a set coming.

The Torque humbucker is incredible - it's in Wade's quasi-vintage line (from his site's descriptors), but is a pretty high output unit. Really well ballanced from lows to highs with fat bass tones; round, full mids (but not honky at all); very sweet highs - zero ice-pick, but still with great highs. Very even and full sounding pickup with lots of output - yet, it actually mixes very well with the middle single coil and still has great (not 100%, but darned good) quack in the bridge/middle switch position.

I strongly disliked the stock pickups as well as the tone circuit. I removed the 0.1uF capacitor and replaced it with a 0.01uF cap - much, much less 'conjested' sound (even with the tone on '10', the sound was... cloudy and the output felt restricted). At this time I took the middle pickup out of the tone circuit and moved it to the bridge pickup position - of course it still works fine with the bridge/middle on together. I also installed a DiMarzio 500K-A pot for the volume control (my longtime/all time fave for guitar pots - great quality).

The neck and middle pickups are some non-descript singles that I already had - I'm soon replacing these with Duncan Classic Stack Plus models - I have one of these in the middle postion of my other Strat and really like them - I like them in the neck pos too, but my other Strat has a Lil '59 there. This new axe will be set up a little more like a trad Strat - with faux-Hendrix tones avail from the neck position - which I haven't had for a long time (many yrs).

Robert, this guitar is diff in a few ways from my other - I was attracted to this model as I dig the 60's vibe/look, etc, but was wanting a flatter fingerboard and larger frets. Several yrs ago, I went 'vintage' in this respect and until I got this one, all my gtrs had 7.25" radius'd fingerboards and small, vintage-Fender sized fret wire... which I love, but I just wanted something a little more modern and... I completed forgot how much easier it is to pull off certain things on the neck of a more modernly appointed guitar.

I played Warmoth Strats that I put together for yrs and yrs. In '99 I bought an '83 '62 RI and fell back in love with the 'vintage Fender' thing, playing that style/type only 'til a few weeks ago when I bought this.

Alder body, rosewood fingerboard - my fave combo for Teles and Strats. Funny thing - my '62 RI Strat feels so strange and different to me now, but my Tele (with the same vintage radius and fret size) feels totally normal and I can switch back and forth on stage between the new Strat and my Tele with zero issues - my poor ol' sunburst hasn't been getting any play at all.

The Motor City Pickups aren't cheap - and I'm not normally very extravagant in my gear spending, but they're very high quality, hand made units - I'm very, very happy with mine; plus, I totally dig the worn, Ni cover.

Post Thanks / Like

That is one sweet guitar gtrwrks. I love mint pickguards.

M

Post Thanks / Like

I can see it! Beautiful guitar and one of my favorite Strat colors! Love the fact it has a humbucker in it to. : : :
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, All.

I'd been telling myself that my next new guitar (before having bought this one) was going to be an archtop... but... this will actually see much more stage time than a 335-type would have. It's typically a few-several yrs between guitar purchases, so I guess a semi-hollow is on the far back burner for me.

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta let us hear how it sounds! Clips please
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009